Nutrition/Diet After SAH

Is there anything you can't eat or drink since the SAH? Anything that you would recommend? Have you altered your diet since the SAH and why?

I know that I can't drink anything containing caffeine since the SAH, alchohol also affects me much more and I still drink a lot of water and normally a daily 500ml bottle of the Isotonic Sports Drinks.....which seems to give me a boost and I think it helps my headaches. My GP reckons the sports drinks don't help and all I'm having is a sugar boost....mmmmm....but they work for me! :lol:

I'm also trying to increase my calcium intake since having a scare just after christmas, when my blood test came back as being far too low in calcium. I'm eating more fish, especially the oily variety, such as Mackerel.

I've always been a lover of vegetables, so that hasn't changed. I'm not a big fruit eater, as I find that a lot of fruit doesn't have much taste....probably because it's imported etc. However, I do like vegetable juices, fruit juices and last evening I made my first smoothie....which is another way of getting the fruit down me and also the dairy...

Hi

Food wise I haven't really changed. I was on a diet pre SAH but being in hospital I lost over a stone in a week. I've since put it all back on and then some as my diet wasn't at the top of my priority list. I basically ate what i wanted to when i came out and enjoyed my food for the first time in a decade. Now I'm back on weight watchers and cutting the daily intake of fat. I've always had sweetners in my coffee - which is now de caff.

I no longer drink my beloved Pepsi Max but have discovered Lilt Zero and this also contributes to my daily fluid intake. Caffeine I steer clear of only because I know its a diuretic and therefore dehydrates.

I used to eat fresh veg regularly pre SAH and still do - I'm not a big fruit lover and never have been - Bananas, Apples and Satsumas are about my limit.

Sami xxx

Know this sounds daft but I dont remember what I eat before SAH, one of the problems when I came out I didnt know what to cook had to keep asking (still do) what to have for dinner its a big pain.

I try to eat more fruit veg chicken fish & since finding out I have high blood pressure garlic, fresh herbs are amongst 2 things that I wouldnt touch before but love now.

Wasnt a huge fan of Pasta before have it at least 3 times a week Ronnie dosnt like it so the nights he's out that's me.

Louise.

It's a strange thing taste and smell...... I have no official sense of taste or smell but I have a memory of how things taste and that's what I taste. I've not had a bad meal since the SAH! We only found out when Headway ran some simple sense tests on me, and I couldn't tell the difference between various tastes and smells without some sort of visual clue.

If I have a packet of crisps I can taste the right flavour, but if the crisps are on a plate it's always plain or cheese and onion. Someone tried one of the trick choccies on me but I munched away and only tasted chocolate (instead of chilli) and even asked for another one.

Scott

I completely went off coffee/lattes and I loved them before. Have only recently started having wine again but just a small glass. I couldn't bear the thought of it a christmas.

Intially I found things very sweet e.g fruit juices etc and would just drink water and milk. I never really liked Tea before but now will have an odd cup of weak Tea.

Hi there guys

On the alcohol front as part of the diet discussion - although I don't feel as drunk when I've had a few the next day the headache is twice as bad as normal - due again to alcohol being a dieuretic I suppose. But the worse thing is not being able to take Alka Selter for it (this is also part of the Aspirin thing) as it contains aspirin.

Cheers (hahahahaha!!)

Sami xxx

Hi

I was a regular pub goer prior to SAH and used to enjoy a good drink. Post SAH I can't even drink one pint without feeling unwell next day, still go out but stick to soft drinks and sometimes Kaliber (no alcohol lager) but tastes like soap. Still have a very good appetite and eat far too much.

As far as sports drinks are concerned be careful as many contain caffeine which I am told is very bad for us especially drinks like Red Bull. I drunk that after coiling to overcome exhaustion it worked but doctor told me it was dangerous for SAH patients so needless to say I don't touch it now.

Cheers

John

Hi

Was bordering on chocoholic before SAH, now definite chocoholic! Also, got this thing for rowntrees fruit pastilles which I never really ate before but now can't get enough of them. Weird! My sense of smell is a little diminished now but taste is ok.

Make a lot of fresh fruit juices and drink more water. Also, whilst I drank tea before I now feel the need for more cups of tea. Restrict my coffee intake to when we're out for a special cappuccino treat. Used to drink diet Coke/Pepsi but don't know. Do occasionally buy the caffeine free diet coke.

With alcohol I find I'm squiffy after just a glass of wine, and after a couple I'm anybody's - just can't hold the liquor like I used to! Also completely drains me the next day.

Must go, Fiona's just made me a brew!!

Sarah

:wink:

While I've been on this rigid diet for the past 5 weeks, it works well with the stuff I fell out of love with post-SAH. Like a lot of other people, I can't bear coffee and now just drink v. light, black tea when I want a lift. Robert and I used to polish off a bottle of wine maybe once or twice a week at home and if we went out, we'd easily sink a bottle. Have to confess I now find alcohol unappealing, and not just from a diet perspective. It scares me for reasons I can't put my finger on, despite having indulged at new year's with no ill-effects (I did drink water like a fountain in reverse, though). Maybe its also that since SAH I learned there is nothing more to be scared of, so the social interactions I used alcohol to ease don't hold any more fears.

Joanxx