Hi - Kelvz48

kelvz48

Thanks John, I can't stress enough how great it is to have found this site. Just knowing there is somebody who knows what we went through and reading everyones experiences has been a huge help for me. Up until a couple of days ago I thought I had huge emmotional and anger problems which I could'nt explain to my wife and family because I thought it was a weakness but now I gain strengh in the knowledge that I am not alone. I have been trying to run before I can walk to be honest but from now on I shall be taking all the good sound advise I have had off everyone here, will be resting more and taking it a day at a time.

Thanks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kelvin

Welcome to the site!

Glad you have now found us and can gain some recognition and understanding of what you are feeling, and get some answers to questions you may have. There is always someone who can offer advice and support.

Yet more mis-diagnosis! It is so frustrating to read it for so many cases... I was also misdiagnosed, twice, with a virus, and was told to go home, rest and take paracetamol... luckily on the 4th day I saw a nurse at my GP surgery who almost immediately said "I think we need to rule out a bleed on the brain"...

As others have said, rest up, drink lots of fluids, and try to do a little more as the weeks go by, but do listen to your body and rest as needed. Keep a diary of how you are doing so that you can look back and see how far you have come, and progressed over the weeks and months.

I am 10 months post-sah, and back at work full-time (luckily for me), and some days I have to go home and go straight to bed for a good hours sleep to recharge the grey matter a little.

Hope to hear more from you soon

Kel

Thanks Kel, I was just wondering how long it was before you returned to work. My job is full on stress for 8 or 9 hours which never used to bother me but now I'm not so sure.

Some days I think about when it would be a good time to return but it has only been seven weeks since my coiling.

Hiya

I was off for 12 weeks in total, so started a phased return to work 11 weeks after my coiling op. I found it really hard at first...very very tiring.

I did 9 til 1 the 1st week with Friday off, 9 til 3 the 2nd week with Fri off, then 8.45 til 5 (full-time hrs) with at least one day off per week (using holiday entitlement) for a further few months... I then had a fit note from my DR to finish 1 hr early each day during June to help, as I was getting so overtired by about 3pm every day, and suffering migraine aura.

I still get overtired, and still get the migraine aura but not quite as bad as it was.

I am not having full-on stress at work. I tend to work at a steady pace now, and things get done as quickly as I am able to do them. I work in a team checking agreements and loading system data. We have to have a high level of accuracy and attention to detail, which can be tiring but there is no stress really, and I wouldn't welcome any stress either. As we get closer to the end of the year our department will get busier, but it will have to get done when it gets done...

I would definitely recommend a slow phased return to work. Does you company have access to Occupational Health? Ours didn't until very recently, and having been assessed I would have been so much better off if they had implemented it sooner, as they could have helped my company (and me) understand better what I was able to do.

I have read that it is usual for SAH sufferers to have at least 3 months off work, so I have no idea why I was initially given a months sick note, then 2 weeks and so on...?!

Are you able to drive again yet? Or do you not need your car to get to work? That was a factor for me, as I couldn't initially imagine being fit for anything if I had to walk to the bus stop, travel there, walk from the bus stop to work, and then have any energy to do anything! And then get home afterwards... I did get my licence back quite quickly though, and a few weeks before I returned to work.

Kel

Hi Kel,

My doctor has given me an initial paper for 3 months but the consultant said it could take anything up to 18 months. I am driving again now so I would not have to rely on public transport. I will look at a phased return though when I feel 100% ready to go back.

Thanks for the reply.

Kevlz you may need to inform the DVLA again after your operation & although they might not change anything you should advise them & your insurance company. I still have my licence & am awaiting the medicla teams decision if I can drive without restriction ut haven't driven at all since my clippping (my anni didn't bust thugh)

Louise, I didn't have to send my liceece off. I just had to inform the DVLA who in turn will be contacting my doctor to confirm I am fit to drive which he has already agreed after the 6 week period. The DVLA have sent me confirmation of receipt of my medical report which states you may continue to drive providing you can fully meet the medical standards for driving which my doctor has agreed.

Thought I'd share with you how I'm approaching the work thing!

I am a qualified Solicitor, having worked in private practice for over ten years.

In the early months of recovery I tried to return to my old life but as the months unfolded I noticed I was not as assertive, my memory poor, concentration reduced; not to mention the fatigue and insomnia. I became depressed.

I resigned in May. I have cognitive problems which would have made my job almost impossible; but even without that, I'm a different person now. Life is short and I don't wish to return to all that stress.

In July, I commenced voluntary work at the C.A.B, two days per week. It has eased me into the working environment without pressure and I don't start work before 10.30 a.m because of my insomnia.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the Shaw Trust, a charity which helps people with disabilities, incapacities and health problems get back into work. I may consider voluntary work with them too. I'm probably ready for a third day now.

It remains to be seen what work I will do but I like the idea of using my legal skills in the charity sector.

One thing I've learned, albeit late in my recovery, is to become assertive about how I lead my life.

Our recoveries are very individual. Even amongst us SAH sufferers, it has been possible for some of us to return to work within months, but not for others. This doesn't make some of us 'right' and others 'wrong.' There is no 'one size fits all' with recovery.

I commenced voluntary work in my eighth month. This timescale was right for me. You may feel that you can return to work sooner or instead, you may want more time. It's all acceptable.

....but for now, I'd just rest a bit more, if I were you... :wink:

Lynne

Hi Kelvz48

Welcome to BTG. I wish I had found this site much earlier in my recovery, I was 8 months post SAH when I found it, as it has been such a godsend and the people on here have helped me through some tough times.

Take your time returning to work. I was 10 months into recovery when I went back to work on a phased return. My occupational health doctor said it could take up to 6 months to return to 35 hours per week. I was to start off with 6 hours over two days and work up from there. I had an unsympathetic manager and I was signed off again 11 weeks later. I then returned to work again, 4 months later, straight into a 35 hour week and coped with fine.

I now think I returned too early the first time. Other members on here had written about how the first year is all about recovery and I think they've got it spot on. Since my first anniversary in February this year, I have gone from strength to strength and now 19 months post SAH feel "normal". I do have some problems with memory etc but so do a lot of people my age! I now work in the admin office for our psychological services and some of the psychologists were very surprised to hear about the SAH and stroke. They've said that it is not obvious that I have had brain injury but if they had met me earlier on in the year, it would have been very obvious then!!

We all recover at our own pace and take different lengths of time to get there. You are very early in your recovery and are doing amazingly well! But be kind to yourself and don't put too much pressure on you.

Take care.

Edited by Liz D

Hi Kelvin

Welcome to the site I hope you find it as useful as I always have. Try not to rush back to work too soon and a phased return when you're ready is certainly a good idea. I'm nearly 4 years on and have never managed to get back to full time but have settled for a work/life balance that suits me now. Look forward to getting to know you better.

Just read your thread and welcome to this site. Its still pretty early days for you.

Returning home from hospital after a sah is pretty scary,i dont think there is enough info given to us when we leave,and what to expect how we will feel physically and emotionally

I think you go through all the emotions but you do get there,it does take a bit of time but its a new learning curve

Theres a ton of advice on this site,plenty of people to give you reassurance when you need it,

Its been a godsend for me,reading others posts and seeing how well they recover,and knowing it does get easier and your never alone on this site

Take your time on returning back to work ,a phased return would be a good option it slowly lets you and your body adjust, your occupational health doctor will help you with this,

wishing you well and take care

Hi Angela and thanks, I found out yesterday evening exactly what everyone means. I had been having a very good week when all of a sudden I got totally exhausted and very emotional (even got a bit teary).

I was just wondering, when you wake in the morning do any of you ask yourself the questions you were asked while in hospital such as "what month is it" "what year is it" "who is the prime minister" ? And do you clench your toes and fists like they asked (just to make sure everything is working properly)? Or is it just me?

:roll:Kelv take no noticeof the other two:frown:

I know exactly what you mean by what your saying.....

'when you wake in the morning do any of you ask yourself the questions you were asked while in hospital such as "what month is it" "what year is it" "who is the prime minister" ? And do you clench your toes and fists like they asked (just to make sure everything is working properly)? Or is it just me? '

I used to do it alot and still have been known to on the odd occasion just to check:lol:

Dont recall doing that when i got home,think the reason for that was prob when u were in the hospital thats all u heard every 4hrs. God wasn't that so annoying. Not so much at 1st as i wasn't to aware, but as time went on and i got my bearings about me i used to tell them when they came in to the room what year it was and who the prime minster was,and i could wiggle my fingers and toes before they asked.

Prob sounded like a right cheeky beggar,but they laughed anyway .