Newbie-had my NASAH Feb 3rd 2011

Hi All! I resisted getting online so as not to upset myself during this scary process. Well, that worked until I found myself questioning why the headaches come and go. I went 3 days without headache and began walking 2-3 miles/day in attempt to stay in shape. This am woke up with headache (4 on scale of 1-10) - not like the original "worse headache of your life". Doctor (via nurse) said this is normal and not to worry - just take a vicodin. I keep hearing how lucky I am that I have normal angiogram and scans and that I will be "normal". I am scared because I fear that I won't be normal again and will have to stop hiking my trails and gardening. I have read the posts and they are re-assuring. If any of you are physically active, please re-assure me that I will be ok.

Hi Hikingchick,

I can't help too much on the being active question but I do go walking and swimming and remember being very scared after I started to do this again as I got a bad headache each time (It took me a year to start again). My GP told me that I wasn't doing very much (er..helloooo...it was massive for me after being so ill!!). I have carried on with both activities and my headaches during these activities has improved enormously over a few months. I was happy(ish) to be given the advice to continue exercising and even happier that the advice proved to be right in my case!!!!

It would be best to check with your doctor that you are not doing yourself any harm regarding blood pressure etc during exercise and I hope that steady improvement will be the case for you too.

Good luck x

Welcome to BTG! OMG, you are already out there walking!!! You're only 2 weeks post SAH, bless your heart. I'm glad you overcame your fear of getting on here. You'll find a wealth of knowledge and caring support from all of us here. Don't be afraid to ask any questions or complain or rant about how you're feeling - that's what we're here for. It's unfortunate that most of us didn't get any information about aftercare and what's normal or not. Thank God for this site - it's gotten me through the past year with my ups and downs, and I've certainly learned A LOT!!!

As for headaches, I think most of us have had problems with that and some continue to deal with them. Our brains have a tremendous amount of healing to do after what has happened and it can be quite a process. There are many common symptoms amongst us all - headaches, extreme fatigue, heightened emotions, confusion, etc... Depending on the severity of the bleed, some also deal with physical and neurological defecits common with strokes.

We are all at different points in the recovery process. It's been just over a year for me, and I am doing soooooooooooooo much better than the early days. Do read people's stories and all the infomation sites here. There is a post, "Letter to My Brain", that is excellent reading. It will help you to understand what your body is going through.

In the mean time, get plenty of rest - sleep as much as you can right now. Drink plenty of water, take medications as prescribed, and take it easy! You will find, by trial and error, what you're capable of - and when you've overdone it, your body will let you know.

I know many others will be posting soon. It's about 8 p.m. their time (I see your in the states-me too). Hope to hear more from you soon.

Take care and get some rest!!!

Carolyn

Love your name! Welcome to BTG, I'm glad you found us so soon!

It took me a month and a half to find this site. I had a NASAH too. I'm 46. I was walking/running 21 to 28 kilometers per week on the treadmill. I had taken a break from it but was working my way back up and after 2 weeks had my NASAH. It was a very stressful time at work. I don't smoke, hardly drink, and eat well.

I'm amazed, in awe, chin on the floor, that you are already out there hiking! Good for you, please be careful and make sure you are also resting. I believe physical excercise is a necessary part of recovery but go easy. I'm three months since my NASAH now and I'm doing 3 to 9 kilometers a week. :oops: I'd like to do more but it knocks me out. I walk my dog every day, that gets me outside.

I'm on the west coast of Canada so about 3 hours behind you. Please read Surfer's posts, he's quite athletic and also had NASAH.

I'm really glad you found us so early, this site is full of info that just can't be found anywhere else. These people are fantastic, they are supportive and caring and kind. Anytime you feel weird or have questions please come here.

PM me anytime.

Sandi K. :biggrin:

Welcome Hiking Chick, i too had a NASAH in June 2010 abt 8months now. For me i felt ok when i came out of hosptial but i seemed to go down hill around the 2month mark, that lasted for abt four months but then ive seen an improvment from then now, around the sixmonths mark. I now go out walking with the kids ( i have four ) biking with them too. I've returned to work part-time too. I still suffer with headaches most days and still have numb feelings in my face. Exhastion is a big factor too, but by listening to your body you can work around it.

Regular visits to my GP helped too, if i have i really bad headache i call in he see me striaght away checks my blood pressure looks in my eyes and reassure me. A good GP who is willing to learn with you is a great help. Make an appointment to see yours and talk to him/her about everything , this will help you deal with everything and get the help you need when you need it.

Keep fighting on , its sounds like you are doing really well , any questions just ask or PM anytime, i live in Australia so im awake when everyone else is sleeping :lol:

Take care Rhiann xxx

My hubby had his NASAH Nov 09, he went back to work roughly 6 months after it happened and after having a final MRI scan they have gave him the all clear and discharged him from clinic. Mark is now back in the gym, on the tread mill, cross trainer bike and doing weights. This was hard for him as his NASAH happened while he was lifting weights.

Mark still gets headaches so i do tell him to try not to worry, it may because he had pushed himself too much or the change of weather.

Take each day as it comes and there are great people on this site who will help, who better than people who have experienced it themselves.

Dixx

I appreciate your feedback- so much so that I am going to brave the cold and slightly rainy weather for another walk! I am so active that just sitting here is a bit too stressful for me. ok...I do listen to my body and I do sleep when I'm tired. I take blood pressure every day and I take my meds . Will be returning to work on March 1st (4 weeks after NASAH). Maybe the doctor will say return part-time, not sure. I did walk yesterday and had no headaches. Plus went shopping a bit with my sister. I am going to keep plowing ahead toward full recovery. although I am canceling a hiking challenge into remote area of wilderness that was scheduled for Mid-april. Just don't wish to have headache and be so far from hospitals.

Keep in touch! spring is almost here - wildflowers are about to burst forth!

Hey hiking chick! I had a PMNASAH and felt ok to work 4 weeks later as well! It's now 2 years later, no rebleed, no weird scans and I even had a full abdominal hysterectomy with hours in surgery (I'm young but had a lot of womens problems!) and have recovered fine.

Yes I have had a few headache related panic attacks but I've found the local GP practice will always be very understanding with you from now on! The neurologist told me to forget about it and get on with my life and if you have been given similar advice be happy too :-D I also found that for me the constant headache after the SAH stopped quite suddenly but I was having daily headaches for a long time which resolved by stopping caffeine...

Edited by Scottish Lass

Our recovery times are different for all of us and you sure can see that in this thread! I think the important message is to keep an eye open for that 'F' word - fatigue. If it creeps in and is ignored it won't remain ignored for long. Rest if and when you need to.

Sandi K.

Hi Hickingchick :) a very warm welcome to you ! Wow you are doing so well so early...well done you ! As the others have said we all recover differently. Listen to your body and dont be to hard on yourself as 'Karen' would say ;) Take care Tina xx

• 2 months later...

Hi, I just came home from my SAH this week. I'm still waiting for the actual paperwork from the hospital (it's the long weekend here), but I'm pretty sure the diagnosis is NASAH. I was working as a fitness instructor (teaching a cycling class) when mine happened, and was also released home without many instructions, so I'm finding reading the posts here invaluable. I'm not on any meds, and the only side effects sofar are the recurring headache (1-2 out of 10), and fatigue. Currently my husband is still walking both our dogs twice a day, and doing all the driving as well, and it irks me that I can't manage either yet without getting too tired. Deb

Hi Deb,

Go easy on yourself. I found it frustrating at first too but if you don't rest and give yourself a break your body will make you do it. I remember feeling frustrated and angry that I couldn't do regular activities too and continually surprised at how tired I would get. It gets better, it's just slow...

Sandi K.