Caring For Your Scar

I hope I have put this in the right bit :confused:

If I suffered from an itch scalp before my SAH it is ten times worse now!

Has anyone found anything that helps ease the itching and dry skin while their hair grows back? I am trying not to wash my hair every day as I read this can dry the scalp out more

And while we are on the subject since I gave up smoking, almost all alcohol and spent a lot of my days resting my face has got both dry and flaky and home to huge spots! Frankly this seems a bit mean! I accept the SAH and the lack of hair and the scar but I'm very self conscious about being a flaky, itching, spotty mess and it is affecting my mood at times :frown:

Any commiserations, experiences or advice gladly received!

Hi Fiona

I've not got a scar so I can't help you on that front, but for the dry skin etc are you moisterising day and night and drinking plenty of fluids still? Sounds daft but it does really help - my skin gets flaky on my cheeks but within a couple of days of day and night cream, it soon comes up good. Spots are sometimes linked to stress and this is a stressful time for you, but again plenty of water helps.

Take care hun

Hi...I had itchy head thought I had fleas...joke!!!!...it was my scar healing and I bathed it in warm salt water.

Told my surgeon his DIY skills were about as good as my hubby's.....he drilled my head.!!!!!....

I am so glad I cannot remember anything about the ventriculitis and sepsis I contacted whilst in hospital...scuse spelling mistakes......but since the shunt I had fitted in August.....Well I feel so much better..

Glad to be Alive !!!!!!!...just keep smiling and be happy

Regards

Win x

Edited by Winb143

my scar itched lots whilst it was healing & the site of the skull removal used to itch too. I would sit & jsut scratch & scratched thas calmed down a lot in the past few months. i started taking multivits & iron after advice on here & they seem to really have helped. I'm not so spotty & my skin has improved lots (i used to be very spotty) so it might be worth a go , it;s also helped me not to pick up any & I bugs going roufn & colds too.

I do sympathise I did feel like the itch was under my skull & i couldn't scratch where it itched!!

Yes Sami I am drinking 3 ltrs plus of water a day and using bio oil as I can a tiny scar on my temple and bigger scars on my neck from canulas but it's not helping the dryness (though the scars are fading a bit). I haven't taken my multi vits for a while so I will crack them out and see if I can find some of that shampoo.:-D

Bagpuss - that is it! It does feel like its itching inside my head :crazy: drives me crazy!

• 1 month later...

Hi Fiona

I also had a very bad scalp after my SAH operation. I didn't have the problem before and thought that perhaps ph balance in my scalp was different or whether I had become susceptible to a bacterial skin problem. I thought I might have psoriasis but never had it diagnosed (I mentioned it to my doctor but he didn't look).

21 months on, my scalp is still dry but I don't have the acute itching and flaking which resulted in me loosing quite a bit of hair.

I tried a few things which are:

- shampoo less

- change shampoo to a gentle scalp treatment shampoo

- I put oil treatments on my scalp and hair regularly. I made up a bottle of hair oil and tried to leave it on overnight (or in the day if I was staying home).

Maybe you can buy an oil, but I made one with almond as a base and added drops of rosemary, tee-tree (Australian product), lavendar, neem and maybe jojoba. The bottle of oil I made has lasted a long time and I still use it.

A couple of web links for itchy scalp that may help:

http://searchwarp.com/swa214765.htm (Itchy scalp treatments)

http://www.naturalskinrepair.com/scalp-psoriasis.html

I know it's horrible and I hope you get on top of the problem soon.

I hope I have put this in the right bit :confused:

If I suffered from an itch scalp before my SAH it is ten times worse now!

Has anyone found anything that helps ease the itching and dry skin while their hair grows back? I am trying not to wash my hair every day as I read this can dry the scalp out more

And while we are on the subject since I gave up smoking, almost all alcohol and spent a lot of my days resting my face has got both dry and flaky and home to huge spots! Frankly this seems a bit mean! I accept the SAH and the lack of hair and the scar but I'm very self conscious about being a flaky, itching, spotty mess and it is affecting my mood at times :frown:

Any commiserations, experiences or advice gladly received!