Memory Gaps

Hi was just wondering does anyone feel like they miss little things that go on through the day ie ill be watching a show on tv then next things its over and i have to watch it again to remember (and no i havent falling asleep:lol:) or when im talking to someone next thing the conversation is over and i dont remember what has just been said i hope this make sense

donna

Hi DonnaMarie, yes I do this. When I've overdone it and my brain is fatigued I can't hold onto any information. I had neurospych testing done and they found that I have an auditory attention deficit. It's subtle and it's not all the time, only when I'm fatigued or had too much information. It presents in two ways. In the first way i understand what I'm hearing and I can hold a conversation and hold the plot but 5 or 10 minutes later it's all gone. The second way is when I'm really really fatigued and my brain is shutting off and I can no longer understand what people are telling me. The second is disconcerting. The neuropsych explained that it's not a memory problem but that I don't hold the information to begin with.

I don't know if you have the same or something similar? I find that if I can hold energy in reserves and try and pace myself Im better at preventing the problem. Sometimes the pacing just gets out of control though and before I know it I can't understand the conversation. For me, quiet time for my brain is what gets it going again. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be so hopefully it continues to get better over time.

Sandi K. Hugs

Hi Donna Marie,

Yes I have exactly that problem, particularly with TV programmes, I could've written your post myself!!

Unfortunately, telling a Dr that this happened has cost me my driving licence as they are treating it as suspected 'abscence seizures' (a form of epilepsy). I really think it's a left over problem from the SAH, however what I think has proved irrelevant to the DVLA :frown: Thought I would share this with you so you are aware of possible outcomes.

Michelle xx

Hi Donna,

Am glad you posted this one. I do this too, but had no idea how to explain it to people. Looks like it's quite a common after effect now. That's reassuring. I dissapoint myself in situations like this by making it obvious through my facial expressions that I'm confused. Then I feel worse because others are aware I'm not totally 'normal'. :crazy:

Michelle can confirm my zombie existence too. I 'lost' 5 different items during my two day stay at hers last month. ( handbag, bus pass, purse, phone and cigarettes!:oops: Luckily I got all but the cigarettes back. Sandi's diagnosis of not forgetting it, but not retaining the information in the first instance is quite interesting. I wonder if I possibly do it that way too as my phycological memory testing seemed quite promising.

You keep smiling now, you're not alone with this.:-P

Sally. x

Hi, it does happen to me but not as much now four and a half years from my SAH. At first I could watch a tv programme or film, watch it the next day and not know what was going to happen!

I also spoke to my doctor about it, and he said that I seemed safe on the road, but just had times when I didn't know where I was, then said ' you haven't told me this' so I kept my licence. I am very careful when I drive and don't go too far, and it has improved with time.

Vivien

I agree with Louise and Vivien it does get better with time but when tired it can still be quite bad. I work in an incoming call centre and I'm pretty certain some of the callers think they have an idiot on the phone as I often can't remember what they have asked and if I'm tired it can be really difficult getting words out at all.

Hi Donna

Yes what you're saying makes total sense. Over 4 years on from the SAH, I still experience similar problems. I can finish reading a book then by the next morning can't remember how it ended! Sometimes I have to ask my partner the same question several times because the answer doesn't seem to stick in my brain. I also have days when I can't remember the names of particular friends or neighbours, yet the next day I have no such problem. In other respects my memory and concentration is still very good, so it all seems very random. I've just learned to live with it and make a joke of my occasional memory failings .... I find that trying too hard to remember something just makes your brain 'stall' and becomes very frustrating!

Ian

I read this thread yesterday but I had to re-read it today! On the upside you save on books...:wink:

Ha ha, I wonder why they say everyone from Liverpool is a comedian?!? :lol:

Now I remember (!!), in my first six months of post-SAH recovery, I did a lot of reading and started walking down to use the local library regularly. On more than one occasion, I'd pick an interesting thriller from the Newly Returned section and then find when I arrived home and started reading it that it was one of the books I'd just returned that day! I've always blamed this on the effects of the SAH rather than early senility ... but sometimes I'm not so sure .... :lol::lol:

It does get better in time though.

• 1 month later...

I too have memory gaps, but not quite the way you describe.

I will go through the kitchen to lock the door. Turn around back into the kitchen and think to myself. Oh yes I came her to lock the door.

Turning back to the door I see I locked it less than 2 seconds ago, with no recollection of me doing so.

I have gone to the store and purchased a couple of lottery tickets, driven home and not been able to locate them. Go back to the store buy two more and when I get home I now find all four in the car.

This is a nuisance at home but it has become more problematic at work. This is not the sort of act you can write in a journal and refer back to the next day. So I deal with it , some co workers will scoff and say I have a selective memory. I think it is more frustrating that people don't believe me that the actual act of forgetfulness is.

Carl

Ive just re read this post and cant remeber writing it :oops:

I do the door locking thing as well so i put the dogs out for a pee and do it again a few min later now i just look for the wet paw prints to let me no if its been done or not still not sure how im going to work this in the dry weather not that we get much of that !!!

donna