Frustrated

So for those who don't know I got my SAH playing goalie in soccer (football) making a nasty save in Jan-2010.

I've had the itch to start playing again, and have begun practicing with 2 of my friends. One is playing for college and hurt his knee and has been out for a month+ so we're doing each other a favor. Anyway its just practice and is very controlled.

The frustration lies here... just about everyone I know is being super negative about me playing again. "Crazy", "Idiot" "Insane" is what I'm hearing... by the way all unsolicited opinions. It just got to me today when 2 people brought it up and decided to share their opinion. Whatever happened to "nothing nice to say don't say it"???

MRI on Monday and meeting with neurologist after that to talk more about soccer. I'll take his opinion and advice because that's what I'm going there for.

Hi Nickopie

Wow! You are right about 'if you can't say anything nice'....... BUT, I'm guessing these are people who care about you & are worried for your safety.

No body can force you to live your life the way they think you should. Personally, I would see what the doctor says on Monday - be fully informed of all the risks you are taking & what the outcome could be if you have another injury. When you have all the facts, the decision can only really be yours as to what you choose you do.

I understand some of the frustrated you feel as my son also had a brain injury (not SAH) and now has to be very careful over what he does. He's no longer allowed to play football or rugby & had to give up kick boxing which he loved. I have seen his tears and his pain & frustration at not being able to do what his friends do and I know that for now (he's 11) the decision is mine. When he's older, I can only advise him & worry myself sick if he chooses to live his life his own way regardless.

Be sensible, be careful & good luck at your appointment!

Michelle

I can see both sides to this - you live for football and want to get back to that, your friends/family see it as the cause of your current situation (which it is) and is therefore the root of all evil. We all know someone who has cancer but won't stop smoking, yet this seems to be just basic logic to those of us who aren't addicted. You say that it's 'just practise'. That's great, but how long before you are itching to play properly again? Is what you are currently doing going to satisfy your urge to play or is it going to leave you begging for more? It's your health and ultimately your decision, let us know what your neurologist says.

Dawn x

you were playing football with the anni before i know how you feel but a chat to the dr and find out how the land lies but it would be prudent to be carefull i cant remember if you had them coiled or it was surgery if its the latter i would be carefull talk to the dr and heed his advice even if its not what you want to hear take care and be carefull this weekend lol

Wow, such cautious advice from everyone so far. I say do what brings you love/joy because in the end (I almost died with my SAH) I didn't think about all the boring stuff I did each day...only the love I had with others and the joy I had wile here for this transient of times.

This is just my take.

~Kris

Many people suffered SAH from different events in their lives.

Some from going to the bathroom, some from sex, some from other physical activity. Mine was while I was surfing the net.

I didn't have an anni. mine was more of a stealth thing.

The point is, life does go on and people may have some problems having sex after SAH, all of us still go to the bathroom and everyone here is surfing the net or they wouldn't find BTF.

It would be wise to double check with the doctor to make sure there are no other reasons for you not to play soccer, but no one really has the right to tell you how to live your life. All of us know how precious life is. But life is meant to be lived and enjoyed. Thats just my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I do understand that soccer caused my SAH, but it was a freak accident. And for the most part, everyone telling me not to play, etc., are people I know well.

On the same token, those who know me, know how much I enjoy being active, and as morbid as this is, know I would rather go out young doing something that makes me happy, than old and miserable.

@GoldfishGirl ... Sorry to hear about your son. Maybe soon he can get back into his kickboxing. Dr. was ok with me doing aikido (a martial art) because its a much more controlled environment with people who know what they're doing...hopefully the same will happen with your son.

@Dawn ... Oh i've been practicing with 2 of my friends because I'm contemplating doing an indoor winter league... :)

MRI is this evening (monday), and doctor appointment is next week. We'll see what happens then...

'On the same token, those who know me, know how much I enjoy being active, and as morbid as this is, know I would rather go out young doing something that makes me happy, than old and miserable'.

Nick, I loved your quote, above. I have an older son who is just slightly younger than you and since my SAH at 38 his attitude has been the same as yours. It's great to see.

Thank you for your comments on kick boxing - I hadn't thought of my young son doing it again when he's a bit older. As you say martial arts are controlled environments and reading your comment makes me think that he could take part again in the future. At the moment he'd be doing it with other kids and the element of control in their activity is not as predictable as that of adults. Thank you for the hope!

Good luck with your scan

Michelle