Vacations

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to start 2013 with positive vibes and for the first time since this whole SAH thingy started I feel I might want to take a vacation at some point in the coming year.

No thoughts on where, probably best to remain in Europe as my neurosurgeon advised that I am unlikley to get insurance cover for any brain related illnesses. Just wondering if any of you have attempted flying yet, and if so how soon after the event and how was it for you??

Any tips and hints will be gratefully received.

Wem

Hi Wem

I have got the all-clear from consultant months ago - havent really had the opportunity to go away but not sure if I could fly yet. I got my SAH on holiday, so have lost my nerve?

My daughter flew to America this morning, I tried to be brave but cried when we had to say good-bye!

I have to get in a plane at some point, maybe like you this is the year to do it! Take care xx

I have forays abroad 5/6 times a year although I usually only do Europe and countries bordering the med. Last year I had 2 days in Jordan for which I had to pay extra on my insurance.

Look carefully at the insurance medical criteria and ring the medical screening line if you answer yes to any of the questions.

My insurance is pricey because of heart problems but my SAH after the 1st year didn't seem to make any difference.

Flying is not a problem.

There are lots of wonderful places covered by zone 7(?) insurance. I have been to Egypt (Nile) Red sea cruising, Canaries, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece to name but a few. Many of these places I have visited many more times than once.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it.

I've flown a few times after SAH, first time was only 4 months later. Flying is fine. I'm in Canada and was surprised to learn that my extended health insurance covers me without extra charge after SAH. Would be different had I had a heart attack but brain attack was ok. Different story for mortgage insurance, they said no way!

Some BTG members find that hot climates bother their heads. I'm the opposite, sun on my face and a beautiful quiet beach move my recovery up by leaps and bounds.

Sandi K.

I flew home to visit family for christmas last week. It was a little scary to say the least...I had I my SAH in September but was not told I couldn't travel. Since I am in the US and didn't leave the states, insurance wasn't a problem...but as for the pressure changes, I did have a headache while flying, but nothing severe. I took an ibuprophine and was ok...just tried to sleep for most of the flights.

Good for you! I think we all need more vacations or holidays!

I had no problems with the flight at my one year mark. I did however have a balance issue at the airport with the people mover, the lights coming on where you walked ( great idea whom ever thought of that never had a seizure). It is a problem I think I have that has more to do with either my fibro or brian tumor. But the flight was a breeze and I was relieved. I did however decide against going to the national convention this month as I did not want to be in charge of myself and carrying luggage, escalators and they have those same people movers in Florida I would have to use. But mine issue is balance and fatigue. If I were going on vacation I would not have an issue with all of that but not for business I cannot count on my brain to follow with that plan.

Good Luck Mary

Hi Wem,

I live in a remote area and was air lifted to a teaching hospital 500 miles from away for surgery when my bleed was found. I had a craniotomy and had to fly home 2 weeks after surgery. I didn't have any problems. I actually fell

asleep before take off and slept through the whole thing! I hope you have a wonderful vacation - enjoy life. :)

Hi Wem

I went abroad last May. I got holiday insurance through the Post Office (I got lots of advice from Penny our Explorer on this!). The insurance for me & my boys for a week was about £16. With SAH declared even though it was over 4 years ago & because I take blood pressure medication the price became £80+ for the week. Expensive but at least they were willing to insure me still!

Michelle x

All

Thanks for all your responses and words of encouragement on this.

Michelle I would never have thought of going to the Post Office for travel insurance - a very useful tip, thank you.

No doubt I will face a few anxious moments in the lead up to any trip but I have decided I just need to decide when and where and then go ahead and organise it. Being a typical Yorkshire lass once I have committed any money to it I will be loathe to lose out financially!

For anyone not familiar with the traits of those originating from Yorkshire - let's just say we are a little careful with our money!

Thanks

Wem

That made me laugh Wem! Us Scots have the same financial traits :lol:

It was a scary thought to go, more because I get muddled with times & struggle to find my way around unfamiliar places (airports were particularly bad) but my older son is 22 & acted as the dedicated adult for the trip. The holiday was fantastic & well worth the effort & worry to go away. And I think we all deserve some fun times after SAH!

Looking forward to hearing where you are going :biggrin:

Michelle x

My wife had a SAH back in 2011, the hospital also identified an Anerysm which was coiled back in July last year, she was given the all clear to fly to Spain in September last year - which we did and we have a wonderful time. My wife had no travel symptoms or headaches at all. Her travel insurance is with the bank and with the above declared didnt increase the premium - AND...the SAH happened in Cyprus in April 2011 and the same insurance company paid £60K ! for her to fly back by Airmed. We are insured with Axa by the way who have been brilliant.

My advice would be to go somewhere mainland that has excellent hospitals...just for peace of mind, and somewhere that isnt a million miles away from the UK....just for peace of mind. This was the reason for us choosing Spain (Benalmadena) - as there are lots of good & private hopsitals in that vicinity and it's only a 2 hour flight.

And we are also going to Egypt in March.

Does that help?

Hi Wem,

I am thinking the same thing. I would like to take a vacation this year. None since SAH. Wife and I usually go to Florida in May for our anniversary. But it is hot there. I love to lay in the sun but not sure if my little head can handle the heat.

Too many Staycations though. We will have to fly. I am holding off at the mo but getting a good price means booking early. if anyone has gone to a hot location and enjoyed, please let me know or I can start a new thread. Dont want to spend three grand and be miserable. Guess i could lay under a shady tree but what fun is that? We'll see.

David

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I still haven't plucked up the courage to book anything overseas yet, but I have started a strategy of weekends away in the UK to 'test' the waters.

Had my first mini break last week to 'celebrate' my 1 year anni-versary.

I was nervous, would I cope with a 3 hour car journey, would my batteries keep going all day and evening for 2 whole days??

This is from a girl who has travelled the world - how things have changed!

We chose a quiet boutigue style hotel tucked away in a remote part of the country - and let me say it was wonderful.

I didn't have a lot of energy, in bed by 9:30 the first night. Drank lots of water, no alcohol, but boy it was soooooooo relaxing.

It was the best time I have had since this whole nightmare began, enjopyed it so much have booked for a return visit later in the year.

If you haven't done anything like this yet, and you feel able to, then I would say GO for it. Take some time out for yourselves - you've earned it.

Happy holidays

I miss my 8 hour drive to visit my son. I am seariously thinking if I can work in a noisy office for 9 hours I can manage this now. I like to have that alone time and that one on one time when I get there. I tried at the 9-10 month mark and did not get past 2 1/2 hours of driving nad sleep for 3 once I got there I slept until we went somewhere. I was great at getting around his town well. I am thinking in a few months now that a 1 1/2 years have past to try this.

Hello,

Thanks for the update Wem. You have inspired me to try a weekend getaway. I have been afraid that working too much would kill me on the weekend. Still putting off the Florida trip until I'm sure as it will be expensive.

Wife and I used to be the King and Queen of weekend getaways but only once since SAH. May do a weekend trip in the next month or so. Happy trails!

David

My son just accepted a position in New York, NY as my SAH hit. I haven't been to see him although he's been here to see me several times. I was thinking about getting over there this year maybe in the spring or fall? I agree that the heat sucks. I want to picture where he lives to when I talk to him on the phone. We've skyped, but it's not quite the same as being there in person. I have no reservations about travel at all at this point! We have gone for some short driving trips now and then.

I hope you find a great place to go. Planning a trip might be the harder part for me.

~Kris