panicky and popping ears

Hi, I am new here although I had my haemorrhage in June 2012.

I had no warning on that day, was sitting at my sisters having a family 'meeting' when I felt a rushing in my ears, dizzyness and the the sudden painful headache. I was taken by ambulance and had a CT scan which showed the bleed, the following day I had surgery for coiling of my burst anurysm. I have been very lucky!! My recovery has been great and the coiling has healed well, however I am now starting to suffer panick attacks, a very stiff neck and some ear popping (like when you fly) I guess I am just needing some reassurance?

Hi Marg and welcome! :-D

I know how you feel! I'm nearly eight years post SAH and my ears still pop and I get "white noise" ....like a change of frequency on an old fashioned radio - it's hard to describe. For the first 5 years, I had to count to 10 and take a deep breath and divert my thoughts until it passed.

If you're suffering panic attacks, then go and see your GP. I never had counselling, but from what I can see on here, it's been very helpful to other members and wish that it had been offered to me, as many of us suffer from post traumatic stress.

I was and am still being treated for anxiety, but via the drug route and it's really helped, so has the passage of time. Never be worried about asking for help, as I often wish that I'd done it earlier, rather than later and going it alone.

As for the stiff neck, it took me a couple of years for that to go and it often felt like my head was too heavy for my neck to carry...again, you need to ask your GP for help and they may be able to refer you for some physio etc. xx

Hi marg,

i am nearly 5 years in after my sah and have problems with my ears x x x crackling and funny noises x x x but docs say they are fine x x

i am a massive sufferer for panic attacks x x x they are less now but I still get them x x I like Karen still suffer with anxiety and meds do help but at the moment I am going through a rough time with dizziness and nausea and have been referred to a councillor for support this will be my 3rd time x x x

if there is anything I need to ask I do x x my doctors and on here there is always someone who can calm me down x x x

if you have questions please ask x x x

love

donna

xxxxxx

Hi there,

I'm so glad you mentioned your ears popping. I have a high pitched sound in my ears most of the time now and I never did before my stroke. Also, there's a kind of chirping sound in my right ear most of the day. Really makes me crazy! Does this just go away eventually? I'm only 3 months out from my stroke. None of my doctors seem to have a remedy. Have any of you found something that helps it go away??

Thanks,

Cindy

When I had my first panic attack, I took that as a sign to go to a neuropsychologist. I chose this type of psychologist sine he'd have worked with neuro cases before. I'm so glad I did and am not seeing him anymore. I had no drugs either. I think the medical community underestimates this need for counseling. I got a referral for physical occupational speech and testing, but no counseling? How dumb is that when I was CLEARLY anxious upon discharge.

I heard weird sounds for a while, but they've all gone. I do know that others have them the rest of their life though, so it just depends. Everyone is different.

Good luck to you in your recovery. It's a struggle, but it makes us stronger and more empathetic to others who experience a challenge in their life.

~Kris

Hi Marg,

I get a sound (like a seashell up to ear) shhhhhhhh shhhh lol, it's the only way I can describe it.

Ears sometimes pop, and neck cracks.

Thinking of making it into a tune lol.

Do your ears seem waxier since op?

My Daughter has panic attacks and she saw a Dr who never pooed pooed her about it, the Doc said "when you

get breathless remember you can breath and try to relax as it will go quicker", it helps to have water or mints with her to moisten the mouth.

Good luck and relax or suck a sweet x

WinB143 x

Edited by Winb143

Hi, I presume you've had follow up scans since June so hopefully you know that your brain is healing well, if you can hang onto this reassurance when your worry escalates into panic that will help you I hope. I tried meditation, it helps me to calm my mind.

I have a wacky theory on the noise in my ears. You know when radiators get air in them they make noise? Well my lovely closed system has been breached not once but a few times and I personally reckon that there's some air bubbles in mine now hence the strange hissing noises i can hear all the time. Absolutely nothing to back this up but it makes me feel better to offer myself some explanation for something that shows no sign of diminishing and that I never had prior.

Hi, I am new here although I had my haemorrhage in June 2012.

I had no warning on that day, was sitting at my sisters having a family 'meeting' when I felt a rushing in my ears, dizzyness and the the sudden painful headache. I was taken by ambulance and had a CT scan which showed the bleed, the following day I had surgery for coiling of my burst anurysm. I have been very lucky!! My recovery has been great and the coiling has healed well, however I am now starting to suffer panick attacks, a very stiff neck and some ear popping (like when you fly) I guess I am just needing some reassurance?

Thank you all so much for all your advice and personal stories, they have reassured me quite a lot, it is good to know that there are others like me :wink:

I have very sensitive hearing and still get a sore neck although after all this time, that could me more to do with the fact that I sit in front of a pc all day long than the sah. For many months after the sah, I could hear a sound as though someone in the flat was watching football. I could hear a crowd cheering all the time, even when I was home alone. This has passed with time and my hearing is less sensitive than it used to be. That said, I was really struggling with the noise at work today!

Hi, My ears feel like i have an ear ache ( I feel as if my throat is sore too) and that the Dr should see something in there. That is my only ear issue. I have sensitive ears as well. Dawn my day was noisy and I found myself home early with a pounding headache all day. I am startled by noise and it is like super sonic hearing.

No real panic attacks but i am on medications that may be takign care of it. When do they happen? I am not fearful of this happening again but I am trashed after a trip to the grocery store as it is so overwhelming to many of us here. I am almost at 15 month able to NOT just walk out with nothing.

I feel like I have ptsd when I watch football or any sport that has hitting of the heads. I simply cannot process that they are banging heads together and on the ground. If they only knew what possibly was in store for them. It really freaks me out now.

Neck has always hurt. It was my give away b4 I would get sick or if I was over tired. Still is, funny my bleed was on the back of my head? It is tender most of the time I find it senstive to lay it down.

Good luck, I say you should see your GP at least and mention these things. I have found my GP KNOWS me and GETS me adn answers my questions better. I think neuros do not know the answers to many of this and they jsut pass over it and make us feel as if are alone and we are not. :)