Hi - I'm new here...Superted

Superted

Hi all

Just wanted to say a quick hello. Came across this website whilst looking for info regarding SAH- I forget now what (something that happend rather regularly at the moment) and found it a real help.

I'm 30yrs old (well only just...10 more days and I'll be 31) and suffered from SAH on Saturday, November 2nd 2013. I was walking up the high street of our local town with my husband and 2yr old little girl when all of a sudden I had the most horrendous pain in the head. 10 mins later I come round to see paramedics all around me. I walk to the ambulance and was feeling rather horrible during the 5-10min ride to the local A&E. Minutes after arriving I blacked out again and woke up in the Walton Centre's ICU 3 days later. During that time I had a seizure at A&E and was promptly put into an induced coma by the A&E doctor..which probably saved my life. After a few CT/MRI scans I was transferred to Liverpool and had the coiling done on the Monday morning. To everyone's suprise, I came to in the afternoon but was sedated again till the following day.

Following the op, I spent 3 nights in ICU, then another week on the neuro ward before, to my suprise, being discharged to go home. I have mild headaches daily, get tired quite easily, but my eyesight has vastly improved. I suffered from double vision quite badly, but managed to get rid of the patch a few weeks ago, and now I alternate between my usual glasses (blind as a bat, even before the SAH) and my glasses with a prism film.

I know it's early days but I get a bit frustrated. My family, bless them, are absoluty fantastic but are very protective. It's probably me trying to run before walking, but I'm such an independent person and not used to having to rely on people.

I know it's different for everyone, but how long was it for people to do the following;

1) Drive again

2) Able to be on their own (the neuro nurse said I shouldnt be on my own when my anti convulsants are being reduced)

3) Go back to work

Would also be interested to hear from any teachers out there. I know I'm not ready to stand in front of a class yet, but I am quite worried about the workload-it'll be tough doing a full day of teaching, let alone the 3-4 prep/marking I used to do after little one went to bed.

Also... I'm still young(ish) and my husband and I were thinking of possibly expanding the family this year. Anyone out there that have had children post SAH.

Thanks for reading and I'm so glad to have found this site.

xxx

Edited by Tina
Name added to title :)

Hi :) a very warm welcome to BTG !

Glad you have found the forum helpful.

In answer to your questions, it really does vary, everyone is different.

I know its very frustrating for you..... I used to get so frustrated I was not the person I used to be. Still do sometimes.

As you say it is very early days for you in your recovery, just take things slowly, rest lots and pace yourself.

There are others on here that have had children post SAH. I am sure they will respond when they can.

Also Teachers that went back too soon. You have been through a huge life changing event, be kind to yourself :)

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care.

Hi and welcome. Sorry you had reason to join our intrepid band of survivors but hopefully you will find some comfort here.

I was 39 when I had mine and my doctor said to me,' good you've had your kids already' which I told him I thought was bit blunt but he explained to me that pregnancy can raise blood pressure which they try to avoid. That said there are people on here who have gone on to have further children. My only advice is wait until you feel more energy and well and get good advice before and during.

Driving I can be more helpful about as been through it. There's some good threads on here if you search for themand I posted a UK DVLA advice booklet last year into one of them, I'll try and find it. Basically my understanding is if you have a) a grand mal seizure or B) invasive brain surgery like EVD or shunts then you are excluded from driving for 6 months from that point and best to voluntarily give up your license. BUT, you then can't drive until you are cleared to by doctors as medically fit to and that means the treating consultant usually and waiting to get information back to DVLA which can take ages. If you have had no invasive surgery / seizure your GP can clear you medically before that point.

Back to work is huge for everyone. We will all say don't rush it. You are very young which should help! I am floundering at the 10 hour mark and I am 20 months out and I still find busy and loud environments or intense concentration exaggerate my fatigue. Thing is everyone is different. Take inspiration from people with head injuries like Richard Hammond and James Cracknell who have gone on to do amazing things .

I don't wish to scare you , I just think the key is to get help early. Learn about pacing yourself now. Find things that help take the edge off like sunglasses and earplugs. Take plenty of rest and water. I have a teacher friend who suffered a severe brain injury in a car crash many years ago. Initially she returned doing the 121 teaching for statemented children and now teaches full time again but it has taken her years of learning her limits and coping strategy. You will get there honey.

Here you go DVLA thread http://www.behindthegray.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?8061-DVLA-Driving-advice-needed&highlight=DVLA

Edited by Daffodil
Adding DVLA thread

Hello,

Or should I say, Shwmae!? I’m a fellow Taff too.

I take it you were treated at the Heath? I spent a ‘glorious’ 5 weeks there. I had a SAH, but developed hydrocephalus and nearly had a shunt fitted; but the problem started to correct itself.

As you said in your post, it is different for everyone. I was not able to return to work – but lots here have. It just wasn’t possible for me. I suffer with mental fatigue, so concentrating is very tiring and my memory has suffered. There are some teachers on BTG who have returned to work successfully, so I will let them guide you in this respect.

What will be of greater interest to you is that I had a baby post SAH. My SAH was in 2009 and my son, Osian, was born in August 2012. Prior to conceiving, I visited my Consultant (Mr Nannerpaneni) who confirmed that it was safe for me to plan a family. I had a healthy pregnancy, although the fatigue was debilitating throughout. I was monitored very closely.

I had a vaginal birth. My Consultant advised that I have an epidural to rest me as much as possible because pain is fatiguing. The birth ended up being a forceps delivery. (I still can’t look at my salad servers without wincing!) I needed medical intervention because I was exhausted and my pushing was non-existent. In retrospect, a C section would have been better and my medical team concede that.

I must confess to finding the time after the birth tough. This is just my experience however. I was very weak and tired, but I have a very strong close knit family, not to mention my partner’s family, who all help out. (I should also add that I am 38 now, so my age probably doesn’t help!)

I need daily help. I become tired multi-tasking and can go around two hours on my own, but to be safe, I need others with me after that time. As time goes on, especially as Osian’s needs change, I may fare better, but for now, this is how things are.

I’m going to say something philosophical now – of a ‘life changing’ nature.

Given my issues with fatigue, (which you may not have at my stage,) I find it difficult combining many things into my life. I have to make choices about what is important.

The old me was very busy - working long hours in a stressful job, hectic social life and numerous hobbies. I find that I can’t cram so much into my life anymore. Although I used to do voluntary work after my SAH, at present I could not combine this with the demands of being a Mum.

For me, being a working Mum would be impossible. That is not such a bad thing if you think about it. Being able to devote all my time to Osian is something I find a blessing and I don’t envy my friends who tread that difficult balance between work and family.

It may be very possible for you to return to work. It may be highly likely that you have another baby. Perhaps combining the two, may put a pressure on you that makes enjoying life difficult. (That said, we have a lady here named Jess who is a working mother and has two little boys following her SAH – so anything is possible!) I am not saying that you will never work again, but perhaps doing so during pregnancy and during the pre -school years may be a challenge. (That said, I am making this statement based on my own experience and can’t stress enough that things may be better for you.)

No SAH is the same. The levels are different and the parts of the brain where is happens are different. We use some parts of our brain more than others, so the location determines outcomes too.

At your stage in recovery, thinking about what is going to happen in years to come, can be stressful. Although difficult, focusing on ‘today’, ‘this week’ and as a long term goal ‘this month,’ may help you more at the stage you are at.

Hope today is ok for you.

L xx

Hi SuperT

Make the most of it, ie everyone caring and making sure you are feeling well and happy.

You will get better but it is a long haul for both you and loved ones and they have been worried about you.

Just take things easy and be happy and headaches get better as time goes on.

If worried see doc and do not stress as stress isn't good for us.

Keep away from peeps who tell you there problems, not good for us xx

We will all get there eventually.

Best wishes and welcome to BTG x

WinB143 xx

Edited by Winb143

Superted - great name - bore da!!

recovery is a tough road sometimes. I'll answer your questions firstly.

Driving - I didn't drive for ages - although my licence was never taken from me. I started driving after returning to work after six months after getting a letter from my doctor to confirm I was fit enough to do so (as long it was for a short time and for short distances - due to tiredness)

I went back to work after 6 months - I was desperate to go but with hindsight it was way too early. My body, as you appear to be finding out from what you say, kept telling me in its own inimitable way that I wasn't ready. I wish I had listened to it more at the time but I was determined this condition wouldn't beat me! I was stupid!

As for being on my own, people insisted on being with me for what seemed like ages and it could be irritating at times, but they meant well. I think it was for their own peace of mind as well as for my well-being. I am glad it wasn't the other way round ie that they didn't want to be with me! Accept the help with good grace. Those people are on your team, you lucky thing!

nature has its own way of telling you that you're overstepping the mark and that you need to slow down a bit. I'm just over three years in and it still tells me to slow down even now. I am better than I was and continue to improve, but you will learn the signs and nobody more than you will know it is time to stop and take a rest! You are different to how you were before - it just takes a bit of getting used to. You will still do a lot of the things you did before - just differently and often more slowly. Sometimes finding that new way can be a challenge but rewarding when you do.

When you think you can't do things - try not to see yourself as a victim - see it as an opportunity to meet a challenge and congratulate yourself when you overcome it. Works for me, but I can still be a bit down if I can't find the answer straight away! Well we have to keep it real don't we?

Good luck

Macca

• 2 weeks later...

Noswaith dda /Good evening all

Thank you all for such encouraging and supportive replies. I've realised that I was pushing myself too hard so I've stopped worrying about things and just taking things one step at a time.

Daffodil - thank you for all the DVLA information. It really helped a lot. I sent forms away a couple of months ago.I've received another form last week (re. Eyesight rather than SAH) so that has been sent back. Actually speaking to someone at the DVLA has been impossible so this has been valuable info! Also I am finding things that make days easier...earplugs are a god send, as are audiobooks. The only problem is when you lose your place due to falling asleep and then waking up not knowing what's going on! The slow cooker has been used on a daily basis and a my little book of things I'm likely to forget/post it notes have been brill!

Lin-lin - your experiences and advice gives me something to aim for! Knowing that some people can go back to work and have children makes me feel alot better. I may not be able to, but knowing I may have a chance is good enough for me at the moment! I love my job, so really dont want to give it up! I'm a gog from Gwynedd so I was transferred to Walton in Liverpool rather than Heath- I was so impressed with their care. :) It's definitely reassuring that a natural birth can be possible. You must love being at home with your little boy (lovely name-Osian was on my list, but had a girl instead!)

Winb143 - thank you for letting me know about the headaches. I think they are becoming less frequent, but just seem more intense when I do have them. Or maybe as I have less and less headaches, when I do get them they seem worse!

Macca - thank you for your info. I was hoping to go back to work after 6 months.. That would take me to the beginning of May...but from ppl's comments on here, I'm not too sure. That's still 3months away, so I have plenty of time.

Louise/Tina - thank you for your lovely words and supportive comments. :)

A lot of people ask me how my headaches are by now and I tell them they are getting better. But what actually cause the headaches now? I know that having things prodded in my head (coil wire) and the blood from the SAH will have caused irritation, but the blood should be reabsorbed by now, right? When people ask me this, I just say the whole process of the SAH and coiling will be the cause. But it seems odd to have times of the day when you dont feel a thing, then a banging headache afterwards. Just wondering if there's anything else causing headaches (read about ohantom headaches so worried that the pain is all in my head (excuse the pun!)...)

I've been doing a bit of yoga tonight which was nice and relaxing, so I'm thinking of continuing with that. I used to do a lot of exercise, but I know I wont be able to do what I used to be able to, so yoga is a nice alternative at the moment.

I go for my first neurovascular clinic in just over a week, so hopefully that will be ok.

Hope you are all ok.

Xxx

Ted,

I used to get bad heads and they itched also, so I used to bathe scar in salt water which also helped my stiches.

If worried see Doc as worrying could bring on headache.

Also Remember Ted ~ No Stress needed in your life at moment.

Good Luck and sing xx

Win xx

You're welcome! try exercises that don't involve contact or jarring movements such as cycling or swimming. When you first start exercising, do it at home - at least you won't get lost and you won't become stranded and feel 'how am I going to get home!?' It also means you can stop the moment you feel any discomfort - close to your medication and family/friends. Don't do too much too soon! It can be very tempting when you have a good day but the payback can be awful when you have a bad day (which is usually the day following in my case!) Take it steady and easy - good luck - I wish you well!

Macca

• 3 weeks later...

hi

I had my sah sept 2010

prior to that I already worked part time as a primary teacher since I had my children. I tried to return far far too early - in the december 2010 and had to go home after one hour - I tried again the following april unsuccessfully and then went in just before the summer hols.

I then took on a year 3/4 class at the beginning of the academic year 2011 and even then I struggled for that term - nearly gave up but my school very supportive and I had a little extra ppa that term - I am now fully back enjoying my job but it's been a long time coming and I still get bad head aches and cannot do school work at home in the evenings.

luckily working part time allows me to plan etc on one of my days off - I am sure everyone is different and hindsight's a great thing but please take as much time as you can because teaching is such an impossible job to do when you are under par -as im sure you know well ! take your time and don't be lulled into thinking you are ready because being at home and going for walks, looking after family at your own pace is very different to teaching !!

I recall my surgeon said when I left hospital - I see youre a teacher take your time - I wish I had taken his advice !! so you please take mine x

hi -apologies for the typos in my reply ! not quite used to my smart phone yet!

pps : I was 45 when I had sah - I realise you are younger x

Edited by Tina
Line spacing added for easier reading & text speak removed :)