VP shunt issues

Guest Mike

I have a VP shunt for 10+ years and it has not been touched other than to be reset after a MRI scan. It is there to prevent your cerebral spinal fluid pressure building up in your brain because the bleed will have clogged your natural drainage system into your spinal canal. This does not happen to everybody and normal drainage resumes naturally. They are set at a level that is suitable for you. If drainage recommences naturally the shunt will not drain anything.

I have wondered about the same thing but logically the only way it could be seen not to be needed is to "turn it off" and see what happens.

This would have to be done in hospital under close observation as to reset it could possibly be an emergency if it is still needed.

The sensible thing is to leave it be because if it is not needed it won't do anything anyway. Plus it would mean more surgery and the risks that go with that to remove it.

I would advise that you have a chat with neuro when you next go to see them as I believe you are still under them.

Guest Mike

I thought I would be crazy and put it in my gallery

See a dumb question, I don't even know it's there most of the time unless I get  headache, then I gently rub my head then I gurgle then pain goes. it's just wishful thinking on my part thinking I can go back 4 years to my old self, that was all. Plus I have some fantastic 3d images of it on my PC looks strange blown up to a 46" monitor, but amazing just the same.

Mike

Guest Mike

Yes I am still under the hospital will be for life I guess that the though was just being can I get the old me back?

That answer is no, but hey I can live with the new me I like him. More mellow and lazy in a way but very active in the mind when I can get it working well.

I was reading a different forum after asking my search engine and saw some weird replies, I didn't even know I could get into bother with dentistry either, go figure. I guess I still have a lot of learning to do yet, as I have loads of questions.

Mike

Hi Mikey

I had all these questions too, then my doctor said I was on the service for life . Ventricles damaged by the blood and needing an EVD can repair sometimes, not everyone has a shunt , they thought mine might but then I ended up blue lighting back in and having the shunt four months after SAH and as I needed the shunt their view is it my ventricles are too damaged and unlikely to get full function back so I'm resigned to the fact that James ( name for my shunt) and I are long term partners even if it means I can't do some things now with him on board .

I'm curious what problems dentistry might cause as I'm not aware of any issues with that unless it's X-rays ....do tell.

Guest Mike

If you use a search engine search for

Do patients with hydrocephalus shunts need anti-biotic prophylaxis before undergoing dental procedures or search using this as your topic ....   shunts and dentists,

The reading was very interesting, did you know that you are meant to inform the dentist that you have a shunt installed? NO? you do, as it can cause issues with infection and things this search is on the UK NHS website but I knew this anyway, the same goes for any other surgeries you may need as well

Hi I have a shunt (not sure what kind though) anyway I do know its there for life - its what keeps me here....

I saw mine on the monitor when getting an angio once but unlike some people the stuff from the hospital I don't have and that's fine I just think you have to get on with things and not dwell in the past about all that stuff...

Guest Mike

Louise nice reply.

I was stuck for some time till I could understand what why when this happened, as with this sort of injury there will always be a morbid curiosity, I have answers to all my questions have done for a while, this is why I have been able to move on if you take away the site of our injury and think this way you will understand the reason behind my question, here goes

You break a leg they put you in plaster 6 weeks later fixed, the plaster comes off

You cut your arm say badly they stich it, it heals it is fixed.

You have a hear attack the fit a new one sometimes then it fixed

On so on so now you may see why I asked my question time heals everything even a broken heart literally.

So can a brain injury be fixed  if so can the drain be moved it was a logical question with hope at the end of it, even though the thought  and hope was short  lived it was a hope

Hi Mike and all All Shunters,

I was in dreamland for a long while, ventriculitus was bad so my brain shut down. (check V word spelling?)

It wasn't until I had a shunt fitted that I woke up, now me and my bump are friends as it bought me back to my Family xx

I thought about getting it removed one day,  but it saved me.

Be Well all at shunters club xx

WinB143 

Guest Mike

I like the responses from my post the nicknames are strange but they are part of us for life so why not give them a name?

The strange thing is that Charlie had taken photographs of me before and after and I had actually talked to her in a video she made, whilst I was in the recovery ward. Even then I was doing things like arranging my benefits, not that I can remember that, I had already started to sort out my claims on various insurances I had at the time, none of which I can remember.

It was then that I got very curious and started to look for my operation on-line only expecting documents, but I found a medical video and was hooked. I got to learn so much but in the end I had to let it all go because I wasn't recovering enough or fast enough. Charlie feed me fruit salad and ice-cream after telling her that what the Dr's had said was good for me.

The ice-cream was because it cooled the pain in my head, it actually worked for me. Looking back on how I was in 2010 and now in 2014 there is such a massive improvement in some things but none in others, like my memory that always lets me down big time. I try to pay much more attention to detail than before, even on my last check up and the report had picked this up, so I have new clinics to attend to try to teach me ways in how to remember details, but I still struggle even to this day.

But if it is about my debt or the Law I have no problem, which is frustrating at the best of times. so I will be asking why this is and hopefully get an answer. So I guess I had better think of a name the Anni then

Guest Mike

I have an appointment on 30/06/2014 for a follow up and a new MRI scan in September then again in November to get the results of it. I am hoping for a no change in my new anni this will be great. if not I will deal with it then, in the meantime I intend to live well have fun and fall over.