Anita Roddick

Guest Portia del Carmen

Glad it's not just me that feels like that - just heard the news on the radio and went cold and now have odd creepy sensations over my op scar... which by now are quite unusual - strange how it makes some of the fears and worries recur to hear it happen to someone else.

I feel a shiver coming right over me ..... it only seems like the other day that I watched an interview with Anita Roddick re: Hepatitis ...

I'm pretty shocked to say the least ... Scott, no, you're not self centred.... anybody that's suffered this, will feel the same way ....

I feel like giving everyone of you, a huge hug .....

I'm not normally a person who gives into "raw" emotion but this is one of the few times in the last 30 odd years when I've been moved to tears. The only reason I could give is that I'm grieving for what I've been through (and my family) through the suffering of someone else. Some four years past my own SAH I'm sat at 10.45 in tears at my keyboard because someone I don't know has died. I'm angry because I shouldn't be like this and I know that at the very heart of it all is the fact that I haven't come to terms with what has happened to me.

Scott

Guest Portia del Carmen

Group hug everyone!!

((((((((((()))))))))))))

It's easy to let the pain and stress fall into the past/background when we're going about surviving/ working/ ironing (OK I don't do the last one) but something like this just brings it all flooding back. Perhaps it's a clever brain trick, since it's easier to deal with pain when we're feeling better rather than when we're fighting the good fight at the time of being ill.

Sarah

Scott, what you're feeling isn't abnormal ..... many of us can identify with what you're feeling ..... I can ..... as you know, I messaged a guy that eventually died from the result of having a SAH .... he left a huge impact on my life .... if he hadn't, we wouldn't be talking now ...... I shed a bucket load of tears for a person that I never met ...... that may sound sound daft to a lot of people ......

Karen

We all know that we can't expect any grace from anyone who hasn't been through what we all have have experienced. What I can rely on though is the understanding of you all on here. That is a credit not only to you but each and every person who takes the time and effort to post.

Scott

Hi Scott,

I agree and couldn't do this without the help of you guys that respond and offer support to anybody that needs it ....... this is not easy for any one of us... Carers or Survivors .... It often surprises me, how moved I am by a total stranger ..... xx

I am sorry I missed the thread last night. After the sad news about my friend, found the Anita Roddick story just too much for the day and had to go to bed. It made me feel so sorry for her, for her family, and in a sense, just waved that veil of mortality that we all nearly stepped through...

I can only echo what everyone else if feeling right now, I only heard about Anita Roddick this morning and just feel so upset for her family

but also very emotional within myself, it makes us realize I think just how close we all came to not being here.

I haven't been posting recently because I've had lots of things going on but as soon as I heard I just wanted to speak to you all. I'm so greatful for the bond we all have.

Thankyou Karen for setting up this site.

Love to you all,

Suexx

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Like Scott, I'm not usually an emotional person, but hearing about Anita Roddick has left me very sad and also grateful that all of us here came through this illness and can support each other. I was discharged from hospital exactly one year ago today very thankful to be alive and able to enjoy life once more. Sadly, many others are not able to say that.

Regards

Keith

Morning guys

Yeah I heard this morning when I got to work and it does make you stop and think how 'lucky' we are to all be here after what's happened. My heart goes out to her family as it is one thought that I constantly have - how would my family have coped if I'd died - especially my little girl. It doesn't bear thinking about.

My thoughts and love are with you all and the family of Anita Roddick.

God bless you all

Sami xxx

Morning all

I couldn't make sense of my feelings last night - found it very odd to be grieving for someone I've never met but reading all your posts has helped with the understanding. It's made me even more scared, however, about next week, an emotion I've been battling with, and losing, for the last month. It is the thought of the family's loss, having seen how it was for everyone when my mum died and I subsequently had the SAH. Trying to keep very, very busy.....

Sarah

ps - my OT asked me what negative feelings I have been experiencing lately and selfish is the main one. I hate it as it's the complete opposite as I was pre-SAH but can't yet overcome it. I will. :arrow:

Hi Sarah,

If I was in your position, I would be thinking exactly the same thoughts... if you asked anybody that's been through this, I'm sure that they would say the same.

Having to mentally prepare for a 2nd operation and all the anxiety that it brings, must be hell on earth.....so, don't be hard on yourself. I'm not sure that I would cope with it at all. All of the awful thoughts that I had after the SAH, would probably be dominating my every waking minute...

I would be scared too .... none of us are pre-programmed to be able to control the way that we feel and you're having to deal with this for a 2nd time, when you're not fully recovered from the initial SAH.

It's an enormous emotional burden to deal with, so if you have "selfish" moments, then I'm sure that those around you, who love you, will understand if you need to vent those feelings.

We are all here for you ...... I'm sure that the other guys will say the same....

Big hugs to you ...... wish that I could do it personally.....

Amen to what Karen says; you have to acknowledge the strength of your emotions, and what they are, reflect your own concerns. If someone loves you, they do understand that and will work through it with you. We all send our best wishes and support, in reality and virtually. Joanxx

Love to you all today, and a big hug to any of you feeling tender. Hearing about Anita Roddick's death made me feel so very lucky to be alive, to have survived. I'm sorry if that sounds selfish. My heart goes out to her friends and family.

Keith, I hope your day with it's associations went well.

Sarah, my heart goes out to you too. Your anniversary is my birthday - I will think of you, and I will celebrate that we are all here. I can sympathise with you about your 2nd op - I hated the wait for my 2nd coiling, and I was really anxious beforehand. It's only natural to be nervous, so don't beat yourself up for it. Good luck, we will all be thinking of you.

Love Blondie x

Guest Domestic Goddess

My two daughters were freaked out by hearing how she died. I don't think they had realised how serious my condition was.

I've always been a big fan of Anita and how she proved that you could succeed in business and remain ethical. She was a true pioneer and stood up for what she believed in.