Subarachnoid Hemorrhage and Arm Pain

Guest mattblack_uk2002

Guest mattblack_uk2002

Could anyone please tell me whether it is normal to get arm pain and bouts of dizziness whilst recovering from a subarachnoid hemorrhage...

Many Thanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to the site... :)

How along ago did the SAH happen?

I had horrendous leg/back pain for many weeks after the SAH, apparently it was caused by the blood draining away down the spinal cord and irritating the nerve endings.

Since my SAH, I seem to suffer with the odd bout of nerve pain ....mainly in the legs and feet, but occasionally it can also be in my arm. I can also get "electric shock" type pain that goes through my feet. Nobody has been able to give me answer as to the reason why.

I have also suffered pretty severe dizziness too .... it's got stacks better, as they recently diagnosed me as being anaemic after being put onto an anti seizure drug after the SAH and I'm now on iron tablets, which have helped. There are a lot of causes of dizziness, such as an underactive thyroid, balance problems ....go see your GP, they can do a simple blood test to rule things out. I know from what I've read, that the pituitary gland in our brain is very close to the circle of willis and this can be affected after a bleed and can affect the thyroid function.

Your GP should also be able to refer you to your local hospital to have a balance assessment carried out .... I had this done and my balance was fine. Head movement was a huge problem for me and I was then referred by the GP for some physio. Don't struggle with the dizziness, get the help.

It sounds as though you should get yourself checked out by your GP, especially if the dizziness is accompanying the arm pain.

Guest mattblack_uk2002

Thanks for the reply. Its not me that suffered. Its a very good friend. She had the hemmorage about 4 weeks ago, and shes been at home now a couple of weeks. She was feeling fine yesterday, but today she started feeling strange and dizzy, and getting a pain in her arm. An ambulance was called and she went to hospital, and shes now had a scan. She will get the results back tomorrow. I don't think she was given very good information when she left hospital originally and she wasn't really told what to expect and so I was just trying to find out whether this is common or not in the few weeks after the hemmorage.

Hello and welcome

It's very early days for your friend and discharge from hospital with little or no information seems all too common. Strange feelings and twinges are par for the course during the early weeks and it can be a difficult and anxious time. There is a wealth of experience here, so if there is anything you need to know, just ask away and I'm sure someone will be able to answer.

As well as the forums here there is a section on the site that deals with SAH including experiences of sufferers. You can access it here

Regards

Keith

Hi,

As Keith has said, the early weeks are pretty anxious ones, the brain has undergone a great deal of trauma ... but whoever called the ambulance did the right thing .... at least she will get her scan results back tomorrow and hopefully that will give her some peace of mind. A few of us have had scares, but I don't know of anybody that's ended up back in hospital having more treatment .....that's not to say that it doesn't happen..... however, in the early weeks or at any stage post SAH, if you're worried, rely on your gut instinct and seek immediate help.

Make sure that she's not overdoing things at this stage.... getting sleep and good rest during the day, is the key .... If you do too much, the brain has a way of kicking in and telling you to slow down. My dizziness has always been much worse, if I haven't rested up or had a decent night's sleep.

I hope that she has good news.....sounds as though she has a pretty good friend too and that counts for a heck of a lot when you're going through this.....

Hi there

I'm 14 months on and I still get a pain in the top of my left arm near the bi-cep - it's almost like a muscular pain but goes away after a few minutes. It scared me at first and i thought about heart attacks but it's an isolated pain so I figured that it was nothing.

Dizziness seems to be quite common in the early recovery stage - remember her brain has suffered the same as the heart in a heart attack and will take a long time to recover and we all recover at different rates.

I hope you're friend recovers well - any chance of giving us some more information about her - age, what she was doing at the time, lifestyle etc - it all helps us to build up a bigger picture.

Take care and please pass on my best wishes to your friend.

Sami xxx

What can I say!!!!!!!! Im new to all this and my very good friend Matt .black found you all, he asked about pain and dizzyness after a shd,

I am a 48 year old single mum of 3 boys aged 19 21 and 22, work full time and was in the never ending rat race.

I was doing my usual daily chores before going to work, when i was struck with a pain in my arm, the the mother of all headaches with a tingling in the back of my head, I though I was having a stroke, luckily for me 2 of my boys were still home and got me to the hospital, where they said gastroenteritus was going around, or did i know what a migrain was, I knew for sure this was no migrain but had every faith in the medical profession, i was administered morphine then asked if I was ok to go home, my son promptly demanded a second opinion, where they discovered a hemorage, i was transferred to the nearest neuro unit and they operated the next day.I stay there for almost two weeks and was elated on my return home.

I had only been out of hospital 2 weeks when the pain struck.

I was whisked off to hospital terrified i had history repeating itself and sure this time I was going to die, nobody gets second chance and I had been hitting the ciggies again only because I could, I wanted normality in my life, until I thought I had dashed all my hopes of a normal recovery because I just had to have the evil weed, it scared the life out of me thats for sure, so with the love and support of matt black again I am resisting.

I have been reading the posts on the site off and on all day and thanks for your swift response Karen, I know it was a great comfort to matt knowing somone knew what they were talking about.

I can so relate to the topics and find it a great comfort, I hope to have many a discussion on this site thank god its here as no one else can tell me how i am supposed to feel.

Possibly at last I could be one of the lucky ones, from Monday I have a student doctor following my case for 18 months which I feel will be a form of support for myself 3 boys and my mother who all suffered great trauma through my illness.

Hi Aly

There have been a few on the site who were misdiagnosed, so you're not alone there. Well done to your son though for demanding a second opinion.

You're still early in your recovery (not that you need telling that!) so take it easy and let your body tell you when you've done enough. Anytime you want to scream, shout, cry or laugh - we're all here. This is an amazing site and has been a godsend to so many of us - all thanks to Karen and her family.

Make you get plenty of rest and water too - it will help the headaches.

Take care hun

Sami xxx

Hi Sami,

So nice to receive a reply already. My operation was 4 weeks ago today and I have not managed to attempt a trip to the supermarket yet, I had all intentions, I bathed got dressed make up on, shoes on.........then it was shoes off and straight back up to bed, which we all had a good giggle about, but it is very frustrating.

The pains and dizziness are back again today, and my right side feels weaker today than its ever been, but Im taking your advise on the rest and lots of water.

I want to be back to normal, I want to look after my boys, I want my Mother to have her life back (and leave me in peace lol)

I have told her about this site, maybe she could post some comments on her own experience as she has took it all rather badly, being her youngest and the baby of her brood she found great comfort from my sister and brother, but i beleive she thinks she is the only one suffering the trauma (unintentionaly) she needs some tlc and maybe this site could give her some tips on how to deal with nasty tempered daughters who take their mothers for granted.

Luckily in all of this I have not lost my humour and use is frequently to deal with issues, although without the support of my family and Matt maybe that would not have been the case.

Many thanks again

kind regards

Aly x

Hi Aly

Pre SAH my relationship with my father was one of tolerance i think. Don't get me wrong, he loves me, but never showed it. After my SAH I hated being left alone and when Paul went to work at the weekend, he'd drop me of at my parents house (before I got my licence back). It was like being a teenager again, only without the arguments with my Dad. I've only ever seen him cry once and that was when his Dad died, but he held me when I was laying back in my old room and cried with me. He's recently admitted that the whole thing scared the life (my word not his :wink: ) out of him. Since then he has been more open with his feelings with me. We're closer now than we've ever been.

I found that my sense of humour was a good send to getting me through this - that and my stubborness - which I believe is why I made such a good recovery.

As for the supermarket, it took me while to go back in and I too was weaker in my right side - due to the paralysis immediately following the SAH.

Try to stay positive - treasure that sense of humour and above all else don't feel guilty that you can't do all the things that you could do before - i felt guilty about not being able to be a proper mum to my 10 year old, it does get better. It's a long road to recovery and you are allowed to make pit stops when you need to.

Take care

Sami xxx

Hi Again Sami,

Could you tell me how long your dizziness lasted for, and also did you have the numbness in your head as well as the arm and leg on the right hand side. I do not have a clue on what is "the norm"

All my surgeon told me was that it would take about 6 weeks to get over the operation and i'd be off work 3 months or more. (was ready for big holiday)

I'd appreciate your comments as I'm sure the student doctor will when she visits on Monday.

Many thanks

Aly

Hey Aly

First of all, remember that everyone's recovery rate is different, so don't take my recovery as a rule. But my dizziness occured more when i was stood or sat up for long periods of time and it didn't really stop til about three months later. I was told the same as you - I was coiled and told that it would take 6 weeks to receover from the op and 12 weeks before I could go back to work - I went back 3 weeks later! Luckily we have our own business and up until our recent move two weeks ago, I had a bed in my office that used every day.

The weakness disappeared the more I was able to get around cos I was using my muscles more. As for the numbness, it wasn't so numb as a weird sensation - every now and again I got a trickling feeling inside my head as though water was dribbling down my face - natural but apparently no one knows what causes it.

Talk to your Doc if you're not sure, but I'd say that the way you're feeling is pretty normal at this stage in your recovery.

Take care hun

Sami xxx

Hi Aly and Welcome

I agree with what Sami has already said its a slow process recovering from an SAH but your energy will start to return gradually. Its' just a case of taking each day as it comes and resting as much as possible.

Like you I also had a trip back to the hospital scared witless about 8 weeks after my SAH. They gave me a CT scan and sent the results over to Liverpool to check before discharging me as all clear on the same day.

I think in the early months when you get weird sensations and pains it is only natural to get anxious but this site has been a great help to me and has really helped with my recovery.

Take care and look forward to hearing more from you.

Janet x

Hi Janet and Sami,

Al comments are gratefuly received and are giving my family and myself great comfort knowing that other people have experienced the same or similar after effects.I am sure this site is going to be my saviour.

I found myself glued to the site yesterday reading peoples experiences and relating to all the stories epecially do you know where you are, i oftten felt like saying yes i know where i am but i know where i would prefer to be, and the pull me towards you push me away should become the offical shd dance at christmas parties lol.

Anyway today I am hoping to manage to get to the shops, my mind is willing but my body does not want to go, I will keep you all posted as to whether or not I make it further than getting my shoes on stage.

Kind regards

Aly x

Welcome to the site Aly. :lol:

Like you I have taken great comfort from all the advice I have read and received from this site. It has been a God send at times, as you know the advice when you leave the hospital is few and far between. Like you, and many others, I was glad when I found this site. It gives great comfort to know that others are out there who have experienced this first hand and have answers that may help you. I know for myself that the lovely people on this site have helped me through, and deal with, "this invasion" that came in to my life.

I am greatly improved since I came to this site in September, I think it was then. What you have written is all too common of the experiences that has been heralded in this site, so remember you are not alone. Listen to your body, when you feel weak and tired, it's because you are. Please take care of yourself, H xxx :D

Hi to all,

Thank you to everyone for your comments, Im sure you all know how much this is helping me.

Yesterday I managed to get dressed, make up on, hair done then flopped into bed for the day, I was really frustrated as it was my sons birthday, but I have promised to make it up to him as soon as I am well.

Before Matt discovered this site for me, all the weird sensations I was experiencing were frightning, now I am learning to accept them and trying to control the dizziness and balance issues, and all thanks to you xx

So today is Sunday, the clocks have gone back, I may take advantage of that and stay in bed for an extra hour (for a change) My aim of the day is to get showered and dressed, Ive given up on any ambitions of getting out to the shops, its too frustrating when I cant manage it, so yes little baby steps.

Many thanks to you all for your support.

Kind Regards

Aly x

:lol: Little steps, that is the answer.

Like I was informed, listen to your inner self because that's the way you'll heal yourself. Not by thinking "I have to do this and that", and "I can't be sittting here all day", the "I" being you. This all takes time, and your brain is a major organ in your body and it needs time to heal. If you broke your leg, you would have a plaster on it, and everyone would see what has happened, and you'd rest up with it wouldn't you....so..........

It all takes time, and when you realise that, I think, that's when you gradually see the difference and things seem to improve.

Read my story on the Introduction page, I have came on leaps and bounds since finding this site, and you will too. Bless you, take care, H xx :lol:

Hi there

Baby steps are good, once I learned not to fight against it but work along side of it things got better.

And you will make it up to your son once you well enough, just doing what you did would give you a boost even if it meant flopping into bed after, been there did that on many occasions believe me.

Take care

Louise.x

Hi Ali

Welcome to the Site. Well done to your Son for putting his foot down, Many of us are misdagnosised and have regrets!

Def listen to your body and don't rush things. in the early days, simple things like showering and drying my hair killed me. Supermarket shop was like running the gaunlet.

Your brain has a lot to cope with on a SuperMarket shop. Sensory Overload!!

Now nearly a year on the difference is amazing I've just spent a wonderful weekend away with my neice and nephew, carrying on like I used to.

Take it easy, this is definitely a learning process and you will learn what works for you.

Love and Hugs

Aine x

Hello to all,

Guess what I've done it, bathed up dressed make up dried hair, had a rest, and went to supermarket whoopie, did'nt last in there long, but it felt good choosing my own shopping and using the trolley as a zimmer.

My Mother stood behind me all the way thinking any minute I was going to collapse, but I managed to hold it together.

So my first real step back to reality, it feels really good.

I may even have a glass of wine to celebrate tonight, matt says im allowed one.

Louise, I read your story, how on earth you managed for so many days I will never know, how brave and lucky you are. I hope I have the name correct as I seem to be suffering with never ending amnesia, if I havn i apologise in advance.

Best wishes to all

Aly xx

Hi Aly

That's brilliant hun. Well done you. :P

Just the getting up, washing, doing hair and make up tended to make me feel better - looked more normal so I felt more normal.

It's really uplifting when a "newbee" gives us a progress report and they've done something that they wouldn't have thought about doing a week ago. Sooooo proud of you for going - it doesn't matter how long you stopped in there - you did it!!!!!!

Hope that everything else falls into place for you too.

Have a smile on my face now and will have for the rest of the day.

Take care - and you derserve a glass of wine hun :wink:

Sami xxx

Thanks Sami,

I'm even doing dinner for my boys tonight, well so far anyway.....Thanks for your continued support on this, and I will wait until my mother leaves before I contemplate having my much needed glass of wine, as Im sure she thinks if shes not there I will collapse.

Matt is coming to stay at the weekend so Im looking forward to that, so he will take up all the chores whilst here, he wont know until he reads this lol. For the record ours is a new relationship which only started a few weeks before my shd, but he has been a rock to me and helped keep me smiling, so I will keep you posted on how we progress, you cant beat a bit of a love story mingled in with an illness.

Also louise I apologise I was replying to Hollie, Might know I'd get the name wrong, apologies to hollie as well.

Aly xx