Bus Pass

Just thought I would let you know about a freebie fellow SAH sufferers maybe entitled to depending on your local council.

Got my letter from the DVLA a few days ago advising me that I couldn't drive for 6 months  :angry: However on reading the letter I noticed that I may be entitled to help with travel costs from my local council.

Well for once I had a result! I contacted the council and they agree I am entitled to a free bus pass for the period of non driving. It's a concessionary pass for persons disallowed from driving for health reasons.

Can't travel until after 9.30 in the morning but seeing as I can't even contemplate getting out of bed till 9am that isn't a problem.

Apparently I can travel on any bus in the country so now am busy planning a route to see how far I can go!

Only joking but it will give me some freedom, hope others find this useful.

Clare

• Like 5

Well done Clare - result!

I'm still waiting for a reply from DVLA about whether I can drive or not, so I'll be sure to check their letter when it comes - how long did they take to reply to you?

If you fancy a trip to Wales, I'll put the kettle on!

• Like 2

Hi Janey

DVLA replied pretty quickly, only a couple of weeks. Probably a lot quicker to revoke than to reinstate. I have been told by the hospital to apply 3 months before due to start again not the 8 weeks the DVLA recommend as they take so long. Also my surgery was on 11 Feb but I have been told to stop driving from 6 months from 24 March, something I need to take up with them.

Apparently one of my sisters clients - she is a social worker - got as far as Devon from Portsmouth on a bus pass. Not sure how long it took her but I did wonder how far I could get! lol!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of applying for my bus pass too / fighting with the DVLA. Bit of advice, the form from my local council needs signing off by my GP which wasn't  obvious so I have just had it returned to me. At least the council are processing things quicker than the DVLA...

Slight off topic, but I was interested in the comment from Clare above about the date from which the six month suspension starts. The DVLA did the same thing to me, and set the suspension date from an administrative date not a date that was clinically relevant to me. I have been encouraged by my hospital to try to give further evidence to get the suspension time reduced, though I'm not hopeful that I will be successful but I am hoping that at least I could get the start date of the 6 months brought a little earlier. 

Rob good luck  in getting your license back, 

greg

Hi Greg

I didn't need to have anything signed off by my GP. Just had to take my DVLA letter to the council to prove I had had my license revoked. I have my bus pass now and it's been very useful, haven't gone far but with another 6 weeks off work I have plenty of time!

With regard to the date I get my license back I have yet to cross that bridge, maybe when I feel a little less fatigued!

Clare

hi greg thanks.have had some good news st george's have finally contacted the dvla.

so might hear from them soon.

good luck with bus pass.

rob

Good luck let us all know if you have any success, I'm still stuck in the process to get the DVLA to send the hospital a questionnaire.......