Jump to content



Recommended Posts

I stumbled across this site whilst surfing for info on SAH,

So best introduce myself.

Hi I'm Graham, 37 years old married,t wo kids, analyst programmer living in the South East UK working in London.

I suppose the first part of my SAH story is one of denial, I simply refused to believe what was happening to me.

I suffered a thunderclap headache later afternoon on Friday 26 January 2007, just as I was doing my shoelace up in preparation for my journey home. Literally felt like someone had belted me with a baseball bat, but being a typical man I put it down to a stress headache, it was after all the end of a hard and busy week. The next day I woke up and felt very giddy, had trouble walking in straight line but had no pain so again ignored the signs. Sunday was a different matter, had another severe head pain which this time didn't abate. I've suffered with migraines for many years; and though this headache felt nothing like one I assumed it was a migraine so I went to bed in an attempt to sleep it off.

I was due to work from home on Monday 29th Jan as I had to start early 05:00 and monitor the systems that I am responsible for. After a bad nights sleep and with the continuing headache and now lower back pain I started work. The headache at this point was very severe and I had trouble concentrating but still I didn't think anything of it - it was just a "headache" after all. As luck would have it I was scheduled to see a doctor that morning - about a totally different matter. She saw me and knew something was amiss and gently but firmly suggested that I either see my GP or pay a visit to A&E. I basically ignored her advice and went back to work ( told you it was a tale of denial :wink: ) My wife called and asked how it went, I jokingly told her what the Doctor said and how I thought it was a waste of time to go to A&E over a headache. The next thing I know my father is at my front door telling me to get my coat as he was taking me to the hospital.

So off I went feeling a little foolish, sitting there under all the posters and signs asking patients not to waste Doctors time, especially as the headache seemed to be lessening. I was seen within the hour and given a CT scan almost immediately. It was at this point that I thought things might be a little more serious. After several hours the analysis of the scan came through and I was seen by the senior Consultant, I remember our exchange to this very day.

"would you like the hard facts or the soft version ? " he asked.

"Hard facts always" I replied still not believing that this was serious

"Well" He said "We are not entirely sure how you are still here, let alone up and about"

Short but poignant pause "errrr I don't suppose I could have the soft version now ? " I replied.

I was told I had suffered two bleeds from a SAH, one on the Friday and one on the Sunday. I was left in no doubt as to the seriousness of the situation and that I was to be transferred to a neurological hospital as soon as possible. So 12 hours after stepping into A&E I was being "blue lighted" up to The Royal London Hospital, strapped to a bed and told not to move.

Three uncomfortable and frightening days later I was taken to theatre, where a 6mm aneurysm on the Anterior Communicating Artery was clipped.

After 7-8 hours in theatre I came round in Intensive care with the usual paraphernalia hanging off my chest, neck and head not knowing what was happening ,with what felt like a million metal staples in my forehead and the worlds worst haircut.

A couple of days later I was moved to High Dependency and then a normal ward and after 15 days was discharged. Four months after the incident I was back to work full time.

As a result of either the aneurysm or the surgery I have lost the sight in my left eye and the sight in my right has been severely impaired. Eleven months later my short term memory and concentration span are still poor and I have a constant headache. I've found adjusting to the sight loss to be the hardest part of the whole experience, having your driving license revoked can be devastating. Life is still very much an emotional rollercoaster, but I still count myself lucky, I've been given a second chance.

So there you go, my SAH experience. To this day I don't believe that it happened and I suppose that's why I was googling SAH, trying to make sense of it all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Graham and welcome to behindthegray!

Interesting story. It's often the medical people who don't take it seriously rather than the patient.

You did well to get back to work after 4 months. I went back to work at about the same stage as you, but many take much longer or never return to work.

Poor memory and concentration are common following SAH and although it can get better, it does take time. One thing I've learned from all the wonderful people here is that no two recoveries are the same and there is never a time scale.

Still, you've made it here and look forward to hearing more from you.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Graham and welcome.....

I've not been able to return to work......but, still count my blessings.

I had an un-diagnosed bleed/Warning/Sentinel bleed at your age (returned to work after 3 weeks) and as my aneurysm was left untreated, I went on to have another "full monty" at 43 years of age, which left me a lot worse off, seizures, paralysis and eyesight probs.

However, there's always an "up" side and I started this website up and have gone on to meet and make, many new friends that have been truely supportive, hope that you will find the same .... Merry Christmas to you and yours..... xx

Take care....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many thanks for the warm welcome :D

Great site, so many of my questions have been answered and it's a relief ( if that's the correct word ?) to read how others are experiencing what I am as well. It's good to know you are not alone.

Hope everyone has a great New Year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Graham

Welcome to the Site.

There is a great bunch of folk here. I can truely say i could not have got through this last year without their support.

Great to hear your Doc was on the ball.

You will get there in the end.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Aine :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest yasmin

Welcome Graham, my SAH was also last Jan so we are both celebrating our one year victory this month!! mine is today I am coiled.

It took me a while to come to terms with things and I too was in denial, this site is fantastic as you will soon find out.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...