Shunters: Do you get headaches?

1. Yes to headaches but can't attribute them to shunt specially.

2. Can't experience a real 'high' pressure as shunt will stop that but I do know what that feels like for me having experienced it a number of time pre shunt. Low, yes I get a few symptoms, exaggerated by low pressure weather front but it has improved with time

3. It's only three years since I had mine so I still get some sensation around site and I know if it has drained suddenly, often followed by a bathroom visit :(

• Like 1

1)  Do you get headaches from the shunt?

Used to get headache when too much talk/loud around me and shouting.

2) Any pressure like high or low?

When the weather is overcast

3) Or do you not feel anything at all?

Just the shunt working overtime to keep CSF lower,  like Daffs put it so well

Win x

• Like 1

Hi Code - I get headaches every day but surgeon said I would get headaches and other annoying symptoms (ears, etc.) for about 2 years when I should be healed enough to live with symptoms without noticing so much.  I think most of my headaches originate from surgeries (coiled, clipped, for clipping.  When light hits my right eye or my head gets too hot, especially on shunt area, I get a worse headache.

I also get headaches from stress or excessive noise.  I have never associated my headaches with my shunt.  The worst pain seems to come from the scar of being coiled.  As Daffs said so well - I do notice the shunt when it is draining but it does not cause headache.  I don't worry about it.

Love - Carolyn

• Like 2

I don't experience it either.

The possibilities are that it is not needed as the pressure has returned to normal therefore no drainage or it could be the type of shunt and that is why I feel nothing or I have just got used to it.

I think some people have remarked on sensations when the shunt drains on your original thread.

• Like 1

As for me:

1)  Do you get headaches from the shunt?

​ No. Although in the first few months I did. I couldn't make fast movements. I still get some sharp pain and my head feels full when I bend over. I'm not sure if it's still healing.

2) Any pressure like high or low?

I would have to say no at this point. 

3) Or do you not feel anything at all?

Most of the time nothing, except maybe the scars healing. We'll see as time goes on.