Returning to work

Guest mattblack_uk2002

Guest mattblack_uk2002

Quick question.

If you were ready, or thinking of returning to work with a new company, would you need to declare the SAH on your application? and if so... how much harder do you think this would make it to find a new job? I know we're supposed to be living in world with no discrimination, but I prefer to live in the real world!

Hey there

I think honesty is the best policy really - if anything were to recurr - god forbid - and you hadn't mentioned it then I suppose your fate would be completely in their hands. I would also mention that you have recovered and state the chances of it happening again are virutally nil - ie no more than anyone else.

Don't know what anyone else thinks

Sami xxx

Hi Matt,

I'm an ex-HR person ..... if you lied on the application form and didn't declare the illness, then they would probably have every right to terminate the employment.

However, once we're "fixed", according to the medics then we're as good as new and this can be stressed on the application form. May be a letter from a Consultant/GP could be helpful, but I would definetly declare it......especially if you need time off for hospital appointments ....

I would be very honest about anything on an application form especially my health. I worked with a guy who didn't disclose that he had a skin complaint. He then some months later took 2 weeks off on the sick and when i asked him why he was off he told myself and personnel manager about his complaint. He was instantly sacked and i felt terrible for him as if he had added it on application he would still be in post.

If you sign an application form, then the company will presume that the information given, is honest and accurate .... if they find out that it isn't, then I would imagine that Employment law is on their side. A decent Employer will see that you're worth employing and if you need time off for a hospital appointment, then they'll be okay with it ..... I think that if we expect fair treatment from an Employer, then we should also take into account that they run a business, that pays for our wages and it's a two way thing ....

I had a similar conversation with somebody on the Different Strokes website about 6 months ago... at first, she didn't want to disclose the fact, that she had a SAH...... and didn't see why she should ..... however, after a few conversations with her, she decided that she would ...... and you know what.....she got the job ... and, she's now glad that she was honest :)

Most people won't even know what a SAH is ...... if you mention the word haemorrhagic stroke, then they would probably run a mile, but all of us are very different with our recovery. You can box clever with your wording and re-iterate, that this problem has been fixed with surgery etc ..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lemack-j

I am in total agreement with all the replies posted so far.

Honesty is most definitely the best policy - to fail to mention something like this to a prospective employer could cast doubt on your honesty and integrity.

Good luck,

John