I'm not sure if I actually have quadratanopia

Hi,

On 1st October I noticed that I couldn't see my left hand reflected in the bathroom mirror. On 2nd October I had it checked at my local hospital and was told that I had had a stroke. Nothing showed up on a head CT so they have put it down to a clot rather than a bleed.

A doctor told me to look at her nose, wiggled her fingers and told me that I have a homonymous quadrantanopia. I have an appointment for a visual assessment at the hospital on November 7th and I have been told not to drive for a month.

Nobody has actually explained what a quadrantanopia is and I am very confused. When I look straight ahead and wiggle my fingers I can see them, not as clearly as on my right side but I can definitely see the movement.

I can see the cushions next to me and when I walk past parked cars I can make out the headlights and handles but I can't see the tyres.

I haven't driven but I have traveled as a front seat passenger daily since my stroke and I am not aware of being unable to see anything that I should be able to see to drive safely.

I have been told by the stroke consultant that I have been very lucky, apart from the effect on my sight I have no other symptoms and I may still be able to drive depending on the results of the assessment. Has anyone else been in a similar position?

Hi :)

A warm welcome to BTG.

I had to have a visual assessment, but for double vision.

Here is a link that may help you, that others have posted about quadrantanopia.

http://web.behindthegray.net/index.php?/topic/2798-quadrantanopia/

Wishing you well for your visual assessment on the 7th November.

Take care & let us know how you get on.

Tina.

This site is good for that Aggied,

I came on here knowing I had an anni but not much else, and just to hear someone say I had that makes you relieved.

I had an SAH and my eyesight has gone a bit ie glasses are much stronger.

I wish you well and welcome to BTG and any worries someone is always here to talk to xx

Now going to look up quadrantanopia xx lol

Regards

WinB143 xx

Thanks WinB, I am driving myself mad worrying about the visual assessment I am due to have on 7th November. I know that there is a patch missing on my lower left hand side but I do have some vision there. I suppose I will just have to wait and see.

So it's like seeing out of 3/4 of your eye and not the bottom side bit ..see read about it !!

I guess it is similar to how  your eye goes when a migraine starts. like cannot see out of them in places

You'll be okay Aggie look at  Tina she has lovely eyes.

To think when it's all over you'll go "Tut I worried for nothing"  xx I'll keep fingers crossed for you though xx

After test go to café and have a cake for me !!

Good luck

Win xxxx

Thanks Win, cake sounds good. I visited the sight Hoofbeat suggested and completed the sight test nine times. I got the same result every time, I missed the stimulus in three of the squares on the bottom left side of the grid. I read an article about the DVLA requirements for driving and if I understand it you have to see along a line that is horizontal and a circle centred on the fixation point. My loss appears to be well away from this area.

I have been getting on with life as usual apart from the driving and I am doing fine. I haven't bumped into anything, tripped over anything, stepped in anything nasty. I have managed to find everything in the supermarket and the fridge and I have no problem reading or seeing the TV.

when travelling in the car everything seems perfectly normal, the bit I can't see clearly is the glovebox. I can see the road and cyclists at junctions perfectly.

I had a job interview on Thursday, my first one since qualifying as a social worker in September. I will need to be able to drive to get there.

Keep your fingers crossed I get the job and pass the assessment. I am feeling very hopeful. X

• Like 4

Don't strain eyes Aggie xx

Save it for Test, and I know you will worry but what can you do.  Tell you what go to bed with a happy thought xx Wake up with one also.

Then think of something good and smile xx

If I have to go around with my fingers crossed you can at least give us a smile xx

Now go get em gal  xxx  Good Luck xxx Keep us informed lol xx

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I admit it, I am lousy at waiting for anything. I ordered a book for my sister for Christmas and gave it to her in September.

I have an appointment for a vision assessment at the hospital on Saturday but today I had an eye test at my local optician. The good news is that I haven't had a stroke. I have damaged the optic nerve in my left eye and have some loss of sight in the left inferior quadrant. The sight in my right eye is fine but I missed two squares on the bottom left line of the grid.

The optician will write a report but it is up to my GP to decide if the DVLA should be told so they can send me for an Esterman test. The optician thinks I would meet the required standard but it will take time to have the test and get a decision. Has anyone else been in this position and has advice on what I should say to my GP?

Well I have an update after my hospital appointment on Saturday. I had a full eye examination including a visual field test. The doctor said that I have definitely had a stroke, she didn't agree with the optician who tested me last week.

The good news is that on the evidence of the visual field test the doctor believes that I am safe to drive. There is an area of sight loss but it is on the bottom of the left hand side. Nowhere near the centre and below the horizontal mid-point.

The optician said she will write a report for my GP and it will be up to my GP to decide if I need to tell the DVLA about the stroke. The hospital doctor said that she will write to my GP to tell her that I have been discharged but said that the DVLA MAY want me to do an Esterman test but I am not to worry because I will meet the standard for driving set by the DVLA.

So I am still confused but expect to know more after speaking to my GP.

Anyway I found BTG when I was looking for some hope that vision can improve in some cases. From my Internet searches the prospects seemed very bleak. I found the information on the site very interesting and some things, like the on-line testing link posted by Hoofbeat, were invaluable.

I was made to feel very welcome by members even though I am completely new to forums and posted in the wrong places ha ha.
Thanks to Win and everyone else who makes BTG a great help. X

• Like 4

Great news Aggie :) hope you will be back driving very soon. 

After I was signed off and a letter written to the DVLA, I was not asked to do any more tests as like you I meet the standard for driving set by the DVLA. So fingers crossed for you.

Glad you found us and BTG has helped you and our lovely Win :) xx

Keep us updated.

Take care xx

I run out of likes Aggie or I'd have given them to you and Tina  xxxx

Good to know we are not alone in our battle back to health isn't it,  you feel a sense of relief that there are others like you. phew !! lol

Hope all goes well for you Aggie and we can in turn, cheer up another lost soul xxxx  or I can ruin it and sing to them ha ha xx

Keep us informed how you get on xx

Love

Win xxxx

• Like 1

I appreciate singing Win. My sister drove me to the hospital on Saturday and was sitting next to me as I waited to see the doctor. I was so nervous I felt like crying and uncharacteristically said yes when Hilary asked if she should sing. I roared laughing when she gave me her rendition of "I Can See Clearly Now the Clot Has Gone".

I felt it was the first time I'd laughed since my diagnosis.
Singing is always good Win. X

• Like 4

Sounds like your Sister is the tonic you need Aggie xx

Smiling and singing go well together xx always keep a smile at hand and your Sis also lol

Be Well

Win xx xx come in Green Room one day xx  perhaps ? that's for light banter  or just a gossip  xx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little update. I saw my GP today, he has had the result of my visual field test and said that I can resume driving. I have let my insurance company know and they are happy to continue to insure me and my premium hasn't been increased.

I am feeling relieved and happy. X

• Like 2