My wife has suffered a SAH 5weeks ago

Andyreay

Julie did wonder how you were getting on so thank you for up date, sorry to hear about the fit you suffered but really pleased you are now at home.  I hope your eyesight does improve and that coiling is successful, it will be good to get it over and then you can hopefully have the time to recover.

Take care and as Win says relax as much as possible.

Sharon x

• Like 2

On 30/12/2015 at 21:21, Andyreay said:

Hi My name is Andy and my wife suffered a SAH. It all happened on 20/11/ 2015. We were preparing for our Youngest Daughters 18th birthday the next day. We had just picked up her Birthday Cake and her older sister from the local train station but Unfortunately the cake had not lasted the short car journey.

Julie was quite upset as this had cost us £100 and looked quite spectacular when we picked it up. Julie suddenly felt faint and had to sit down, I did not realise anything was wrong and thought she was just over reacting. Julie then started vomiting just has her mum called round, she is a healthcare worker and recognised this was not right so I called an Ambulance.

The paramedic took her blood pressure and with the answers Julie gave, about the headaches etc, concluded that she may have had a bleed on her brain and she was rushed to local A&E. A ct scan confirmed our worst fears and Julie was taken to a speciality hospital 2 hours away.

By the time we arrived Julie had lost consciousness and was sedated and put on a ventilator. Another CT scan was done and she had had a second bleed. The next day she had an operation to insert coils into 2 aneurysms, there are still another 3 that are unprotected.

Everything else was pretty text book (Vasospasms, Hydrochephylis, etc) Julie also lost sight in both eyes and needed a permanent shunt. She was very confused at first but this has lessened over the last week or so. Julie is still in the hospital and has now had her Catheter removed and is beginning to walk to the bathroom which is very reassuring.

At 1 point about a week ago Julie suffered a massive seizure and was put back on HDU. This has now settled and she is back on a ward. The biggest concern now is her sight as this has not improved and she can only see shadows. The eye doctors have said that this may improve overtime and it is early days but it is a great worry as if doesn't this is so life changing.

We are now waiting for Julie to be transferred to a local hospital for rehab. This has been the toughest thing the family have ever had to endure especially as Julie is only 45.

Andy thoughts are with you, I am very very lucky as none of my motor functions or anything has been affected by this I just have a severe headache 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok so update time, one year on from my sah. I have had my clipping done eventually after being cancelled 5 times. The clipping  did result in a full weekend of fits and a few days of being gaga, and not knowing what time or even day it was.

Next came my coiling which  only got cancelled once..... hurray..... this was much better. No fits, no going gaga just straight forward operation, even if they didn't achieve what they wanted to do. Apparently once they have been through your arteries they can collapse a little bit. This has unfortunately happened to me, and they couldn't get the coils through, so I have been stented instead. I will be reviewed be April, if all the same the may leave alone, if there's been a change they will try once again to operate. 

Things move very slowly when you've had a sah, as I am learning. I have had to learn to go a bit slower and listen to my body, but I'm sure one day I will return to as near I can to what I was. Hoping you are all well and getting ready for Christmas, which I will fully enjoy this year, as last Christmas didn't happen in my little bubble of icu. 

• Like 5

You have done well Julie,

Bet you are glad it is over now ..phew rough time for you all xx

No where near ready for Christmas.  I am so glad you are on the mend it is a long haul and you will get good days and  some when you want to sleep.  You will get there though xx

Good luck and thanks for keeping us informed of your progress and Well Done You and Family and hope you forgot about birthday cake  now lol  Ohhh shh Win lol xxxx

• Like 1

Glad you have come through this, and with such optimism too.  It's a tough thing we've all been through and we all go at our own pace.

In this world of instant fixes, it is important to realise that this new technological world is an illusion to some extent and that when it comes to real people, patience and resilience are what is required to emerge and progress to greater things.

Well done and thanks for keeping us all updated.

You can enjoy Christmas in a much more relaxed and upbeat fashion!  Wonderful!

Best wishes,

Macca

• Like 3

So pleased you are making progress sounds a very difficult few months.  I do hope You require no further treatment but good that they are going to monitor.  I hope your Christmas preparations go well and you have a very special time to make up for last year x

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi and so sorry to hear your story . My haemorrhage was 2 weeks ago and have had my op to insert coils and just out of hospital. I feel incredibly lucky. With  your support your wife should improve little by little ,it's a long road for some and I wish you both all the best .

Josie

• Like 1