Constant Fatigue

Hello all! My husband is almost 30 days post bleed. Spent 16 days in ICU. We have been home now for 2 weeks and he is doing great. Driving, even will return to light duty however he does have this bad fatigue that starts about the afternoon. I've read that others battle it as well. Just looking for others experiences with fatigue & how you deal with it 

It is a real thing this fatigue and I am no Doc but I go through it  also.

I have the luxury of going to bed during the day whereas your Hubby  will have to soldier on when he returns to work !!

Ask for a longer breaks during the day until he can get past the fatigue or sleep during lunch break (easier said than done)

I wish him all the best and hope he can sort it out.

Keep Bright it does get better with time xxxx

Love

Win 

Jenjenstar, not to put a damper on things but have DVLA been informed about the SAH? It is notifiable and very often the medics don't tell you. DVLA may say it is ok to keep driving or they may say no until they have medical reports. The insurance company need to be told too although premiums cannot be increased.

Hi fatigue is a big issue after a SAH it took me months to learn to deal with it ,it does get better but  as with all things it takes time and rest . If your tired rest don't push yourself to keep going , your body does know best I tried to push myself too hard and this just knocks you right back . Take your time allow yourself time to

recover it really does get better .

3 hours ago, Super Mario said:

Jenjenstar, not to put a damper on things but have DVLA been informed about the SAH? It is notifiable and very often the medics don't tell you. DVLA may say it is ok to keep driving or they may say no until they have medical reports. The insurance company need to be told too although premiums cannot be increased.

What is DVLA

Hello Jen.. great to hear that your husband is making good progress. It must be hard to believe that he was only discharged ten days ago.

It is only natural for him and indeed yourself to try and get back to how it was pre. his NASAH,  as soon as possible. His time in ITU was because he had potentially life threatening trauma to his brain. Please try and convince him that the best way to ensure a good outcome is to take things very slowly and accept that rest is essential in these early months.

You will have seen from the replies to your initial contact with BTG , that time and patience are so important in the first year of recovery. A rush to get back to work, even on a phased return will only add to his fatigue.

The DVLA is the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency for those in the UK.

Subs

• 3 weeks later...

The fatigue for me was unlike any other fatigue or sleepiness I had ever experienced.  It lifted in stages over the years. Now I only have it when I do something out of the ordinary, either physically or mentally challenging. It is really hard to navigate it at first because you don't really know what will cause your fatigue.  It could be anything and what you think it is going to be turns out not to be.

Becoming aware of your personal energy patterns is the first step, so you are on the right track.  Figuring how to accommodate them is the second.  This one can be inconvenient and frustrating.  You can't just plough through it like you would have done before and expect to get better.  Sometimes all you need is 5 minutes in a dark room to refresh a bit, but sometimes it takes more than that.

Figuring out what works is hard and how to implement it into the day is challenging.

Good luck,

~Kris

• Like 6