Jump to content

Untreated Aneurysm


Recommended Posts

Guest Dawn

I was diagnosed with a 7mm aneurysm April 2007. The decision to have it treated was left with me and I decided last August not to go ahead with treatment after seeing a second surgeon who said due to the size to leave alone for now. I thought I was due for a rescan April 2008 but have since found out it is more likely to be in August. I have had no symptons, I had problems with my hearing and two scans later and numerous tests was told there was nothing wrong with my hearing but the scans showed an aneurysm was there.I have recently, don't know why, started to really worry about it. I keep having bad dizzy spells and a constant foggy head. Probably nothing to do with it. Anyway I am going to my GP this week just to get checked. Just wondered if anyone else has or is in a similar situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dawn and welcome to behindthegray.

It's understandable that you are worried about your aneurysm. I know that the decision to treat or not to treat can depend on lots of variables, not least of which is the size. Only you can decide whether to have it treated or not based on the available information and it's good that you are going to get it checked out again.

The consequences of rupture can be devastating as many here will testify. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but the decision to treat must be based on the risk of rupture vs. risks of surgery. Make sure you ask lots of questions about that when you get it checked and also voice your concerns to your GP. If the decision is not made for you, at least then you can make your own informed decision. It's a tough one, but we're here to help with any questions you might have.

In some ways, I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision ... there was simply no choice for me.

Regards

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Dawn

Hi Karen

Thankyou for the welcome. After seeing the first consultant, I was totally confused, didn't know what to do. Went back 3 weeks later and saw a different consultant who seemed to understand what I was going through and made things seem a lot clearer. Still unsure, I asked him his honest opinion, which was as the size was 7mm it was on borderline and the risk of rupture only being 5% (that stills seems quite high to me). He suggested leaving it and be rescanned in a year, then if it had grown to 8mm or more, then we would rethink surgery. I thought about it for a further 2 weeks and decided to leave it and was expecting to be rescanned in April, but have now been told it would more likely be August. I suppose the waiting is playing on my mind. I will feel better once I have been rescanned, then I can take it from there, make a decision as what to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Dawn

Hi Keith

Thanks for the welcome. I will ask lots of questions when I go back, hopefully talking to all of you on here will help me come to a clearer picture and decision when I go back for my next scan. The thought of it rupturing is worrying and I suppose so are the risks of surgery. I think I need to find out more about the risks involved and and weigh up the two options.

Dawn

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dawn a warm welcome to you :)

So sorry you have this worry, but thank God they have found it, a big decision i know,cant imagine what you must be feeling and going through. I did not have the choice, or any warning. It is very scary, but try not to worry, easy to say I know, but hopefully you will get some answers in August. Just make sure you take things easy, try not to get stressed. Take care :) We are here for you.

Love Tinaxx

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dawn,

I think that we can all only speak from a personal viewpoint and it's down to you whatever choice that you make.......hindsight is an exact science isn't it? .... I still have a neck left on my aneurysm that will probably need more surgery (I had coiling) ..... from a personal viewpoint and after a warning bleed at 38 and a full blown SAH at 42 with seizures, l/hand weakness and sight/balance problems, then I will take the risk of having surgery.....living with the knowledge that I could go through this all again is something that I wouldn't be able to handle .... I can only be honest with my response and even though I will hate the thought of having further surgery, I will take that risk....which I believe is fairly small...I really couldn't see myself doing this again, if I was lucky enough to survive another bleed.

I would imagine that you must have felt quite shocked when you were told about the aneurysm and may be you do need the time to sit and think about things and get over the initial shock.... Do you know what type of surgery they want to give you ..... coiling or clipping? I know of a few people on this website that have had to be treated a couple of times and they've lived to tell the tale... As Keith has said, the consequences of rupture can be devastating..... only you can decide......but also living with the knowledge of an aneurysm is hard .....good luck to you and get as much info as you can ..... if you need to ask questions about the risk of surgery, then speak to your consultant .... I think that my annie was about 6mm when it ruptured .... but, I can't be certain ..... unfortunately, it caused me quite a bit of damage and the 2nd bleed carried on for well over a week....

It's a hard question that you pose and it's only you that can decide what to do ..... xxxx

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there Dawn I didn't have a choice with my first one has it had ruptured however the second one hadn't I still went in and had it operated on though as I don't think I could live with never knowing will today be the day it goes, sorry to scare you but if I was in your position I would certainly have the op. Goodluck with whatever you decide and keep us updated and welcome. Jess.xxx

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dawn

I can fully appreciate what you're going through and it's not nice.

I had a ruptured aneurysm in September 06 which was clipped. It was then that they found a second aneurysm. It was only about 4mm and the surgeon left the decision to me as to whether to have it clipped or leave it. For me there was no choice - I'd been lucky once and couldn't count on being so lucky a second time should number 2 burst so I had it clipped in October of last year and am still here to tell the tale!

It is, however, different for everyone and you have to do what is right for you. Do remember, though, that you're not alone. There's always someone on here you can chat to as we're all well aware and fully sympathetic to what you're going through.

Sarah xx

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Dawn

Hi Karen

They told me they would coil it if I decided to go ahead. I suppose because the second consultant I saw thought it would be better left for now, I just went along with it. But now, several months on, it seems to be constantly on my mind again. I keep thinking what would happen to my two kids if something happened . I am, I suppose scared to make either decision. I know I need to rethink and get lots more info. Everyone on here has been brilliant and I've only been on for 2 days. I will keep you all updated. Thanks

Dawn

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dawn

Hope you are feeling well and keeping positive. How old are your kids? Hope your foggy head and dizzy spells are better. Take care, thinking of you . :)

Love Tinaxx

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Dawn

Hi Tina,

Been to see GP, he doesn't seem to think the foggy head or dizzy spells are connected with the aneurysm. Couldn't really tell me why though either.

I have two girls, aged 8 and 9. Its just the three of us, their dad doesn't live with us anymore. I think that is making the decision harder thinking about leaving them behind. I know I got to think positive and I will do.

Dawn

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dawn,

It's a hard choice to make and most of us have come through the coiling process okay and I believe that if the aneurysm hasn't burst, then you're only in hospital for a couple of days .....it's the initial rupture/bleed that caused many of us the problems and the damage to the brain. I can only think of Scott on this website that stroked during the coiling process and that was after having a SAH as well and being poorly pre-op (I'm sure that Scott will put me right if I'm wrong) .... with any op, there's a risk ..... even the simplest of ops.... My Mother in law had coiling carried out to a brain aneurysm that hadn't ruptured and was up and about literally in days and she was in her 60's....

I know how you feel with having kids..... I have two, well one is 21 now and the other 17 ..... but when I had the warning bleed at 38 (mis-diagnosis, so, wasn't given the choice of surgery), they were much younger..... so, I know where you're coming from .... but the mental anguish of knowing about an aneurysm also isn't good .... I lived with that for 4 years, gave up my job as I couldn't deal with the stress...then I had a 2nd full-blown SAH.... I really believe that if I'd been given the right care 4 years prior to this annie that I wouldn't be in the situation that I am now.....

Dawn, can I ask how old you are?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dawn

Your girls are the same age as my sisters two, mine are 18 and 20, boy& girl . Even though mine are older, when I was in hospital I worried about them, and they had their step dad looking out for them, who was wonderful. Do you have any family,or grandparents that might be able to help out. What a worry for you. I do feel for you. I wish you well and hope things sort out. Take care

Love Tinaxx

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Dawn

Hi Karen

Thankyou for all the positive and promising advice I have been given. I am now starting to see things much clearer. Wish I had known about this site months ago. It has really helped reading other peoples experiences and being able to talk about how I feel.

I am 41 years old.

Thanks

Dawn

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Dawn

Hi Tina

I know what you mean about worrying about the kids, I think even when they have moved on and got their own famililies we will still feel the same.

I have got my mum and dad and a couple of close friends who would help me out. My Dad wanted me to have surgery when I was diagnosed, but I decided to take take the consultants advice at the time. He had a brain tumour, non malignant about 10 years ago and was operated on with total success. So I think he wanted me go ahead with the surgery and to be rid of the risk of it rupturing. I can understand that, but at the time I just wasn't sure wish way to turn. As I said to Karen earlier, things are becoming much clearer now and I feel more prepared for when I go for my next scan.

Thanks

Dawn

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...