I know i am only 2 months into recovery but work does cross my mind from time to time..

I am not ready to go back yet but was thinking how everyone coped with work i will be working 4 days a week 9-3.

I have put it down to 6 months recovery and anything before is a bonus x

Hey Donna

It's recommended that you don't go back to work before 12 weeks anyway - but if you don't feel up to it, then let your GP know. Also, it's worth talking to your employer about phased return to work - it breaks you back into it all gently.

You're doing really well Donna, but remember this was only eight weeks ago - think about yourself for a while and don't worry about work.

Take care and well done for yesterday

love Sami xxxx

Hi Donna

Only you will know what you can cope with. Even then, going back to work can be a bit of a shock to the system. The booklet I was given on discharge from hospital said I would need at least 3 months off work. In my case that wasn't far wrong as I returned to work after 3.5 months, but I made a quick recovery compared to most. I worked 6 hours per day for the first few weeks in a job that requires a lot of brain power and I found it very hard at first. Fatigue and headaches increased and I needed a sleep every day when I got home. I suppose it was at about the 6 month stage when I felt just about normal. Even then, fatigue would strike now and again and still does 21 months on. I must say, that getting back to work felt good in some ways ... a feeling that things were getting back to normal.

I read somewhere that the average time off work for SAH is about 9 months, but it's so variable. Some take longer and some never return at all. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

At 2 months, you should not be thinking of returning to work. Even when you get to the point where you are having more good days than bad days, going back to work could reverse that trend. Take it easy and review the situation regularly with your GP and your employers. Only go back when you are sure that you are really ready ... it's a huge step and be prepared for a step backwards in your recovery.

Regards

Keith

Hi Donna I went back to work nearly 3 months after but I felt ready you must only go back when you feel ready. Not only that but I was pregnant and if I hadn't of gone back I would of lost my maternity pay lol. Seriously though only go back when you are ready. Jess.xxx

Hi Donna

It is 6months down the line for me and i thought i would be able to go back to work, i am S/E, and my job is quite intense, deadlines etc. I know i am not ready yet and that does frustrate me, financially we are struggling, my husband is wonderful, but i still feel guilty. My eyes still have a long way to go, and my balance and memory and now my hearing not right. You will know when you are ready as the others have said, take your time dont rush,you dont want to go backwards!!

Love Tinaxx

Hi Donna

I started back at work 3 weeks ago (on a phased return basis) 6 months after my SAH. I plan to phase my return over 3 months and work has been understanding. I've found it difficult - in fact on my second day I wanted to throw in the towel and never go back but I saw my GP the following day and she prescribed betablockers and they helped a lot with my buzzing head. I thought when I had my SAH that I would return to work only when I felt as good as I did before my SAH but that hasn't been the case. I am still a long way off that but can just about manage the tiredness.

Anne xxx

Guest troopersway

Hi Donna,

Seems many have given very good advice on work and each is different, atleast two months in your thinking about work which I would say is a good sign. I went back to work 8 weeks post SAH but as others have said, managed this as a phased return, working as I saw fit for the first three or four months, I would reckon that it is only since Easter that I have been able to do the full working week without significant interuption although good days and bad days still prevail. Also my office is in my house so when I want to go into the office in slippers I do!!!! I also work out and about and was most lucky to have a car and driver for the first 6 months but am now self sufficient and take many rest stops en-route. Only 9 months since SAH and the next hurdle is flying!

Keep lucky and good luck with work but only when your ready, small steps seem most suitable!

Hi Donna

I used to work fulltime pre SAH (10-6 and often longer). I started back at work a month ago doing 2-5 on Mon, Wed and Fri and have built it up to 20 hours, 12.30-5.30 on Mon, Tues, Thur and Fri. I'm going to stick at that for a while as finding it quite tough. My GP suggested increasing over a 3 month period though I'm not sure if I will be able to get back to full time again but will see.

It was very difficult going back but I visited work a few times before I started. It meant I got over all the conversations with colleagues about my health. Due to lack of space a colleague had taken over my desk and all my stuff was packed away so I had to reclaim my desk and try to sort out all my stuff but once that was done, I felt better.

Best wishes

Anne x

Hi Donna/Anne

I've been back at work for 12 months now started on a phased return and in the first few months went from 20 to 30 hours but have realised that anymore would be too much to cope with. I find by the end of the week I am generally very tired and it takes me all weekend to recharge my batteries.

Janet x