toothache

Hi All,  Just getting my head around the Site as a Newbie........ I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction please .  .... I am a nervous wreck at the moment with Anxiety and Depression and i  have a raving toothache which i have left because i am terrified to go to dentist or even go outside of the house for that matter.   I had my Sah April 1st which required Coiling and also Hydrocephalus which required a Ventricular a Drain.    Is it safe enough to have a teeth extracted so soon after Bleed .   ((((( I am worried sick  ))))) ...........I am shaking like a leaf just writing about this :(     Thanks in Advance.

Hi Topsy, the short answer is to take advice from your doctor, neurologist or dentist. You must get it sorted one way or another, pain is not good for you.

It counts as medical advice which none of us can give as we are not medically qualified. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Topsy said:

Thank You Mario for your Advice.  ......... I am hopeless at the moment worrying about every single ache and pain :(

I think that is a natural reaction to aches and pains after a SAH. Many of us were exactly the same in our early days of recovery.

Dearest Topsy,

You really should discuss your anxiety and depression with your neurologist or GP.   Following my ruptured aneurysm, one of my doctors told me that anxiety and even post-traumatic stress disorder is quite common as a result of the life-threatening experience.  You are barely two months away from the bleed, so of course you are fearful.  Perhaps you can have someone accompany you to your doctor's office.

As for the toothache, please get to a dentist.  If there is infection, it could lead to more problems.  The better you take care of yourself, the quicker you can regain some normalcy in your life.

Best wishes, Colleen

• Like 3

Thank you Coleen ......... At the moment i cant walk far by myself  as my Balance has gone to pot .  This is what is making me so Anxious i feel as though i am going to fall over .  I have a CT Scan due on 4th July probably i will feel a bit more contented after when we can have a chat with someone to explain a few things.  As i put on a previous post you are just sent home from  Hospital with your discharge papers and thats it . :(   My GP has prescribed Sertaline for me but as of yet i am scared stiff to take it. x

Hi Topsy,

i was was also reluctant to take medication for my anxiety issues and attempted to " go live your life" for about 5 years before seeking help. I also take an SSRI, different med than you are prescribed, and at the lowest dose. It helps.  You should discuss your concerns over the medication with your doctors or pharmacist. 

• Like 2

Hi Topsy, I also have a vp shunt and the balance was off for quite a while before I got it right, and even now if I do too much I will be face first and hopefully not onto a hard landing.

Some tips with that first of all, take a stick everywhere, I still have one with me in my car and which I take it on longer journeys and always when walking the dog although I can walk unaided now which I am very grateful for my stick is important to my balance. 

Dont jump up or try to do any movement too quickly. Sit a while and then do things, think of a breath as a pause, so if you have to turn, take a breath and then turn, it really does help slow you down but also for the message to reach the brain,

get some help with anxiety, be it taking medication, meditation, relaxation, walking, sucking mints, whatever works for you, don't suffer it. . I have come to the conclusion through this forum that head injury often triggers anxiety but also that the surgery for the VP shunt can really heighten anxiety as I haven't met one person who has a shunt who didn't have these episodes afterwards. I had counselling and it definately helped me and I meditate as well and learnt coping techniques. 

remember the fear is often worse than the doing. Phone your dentist and ask him or her to call you, explain what has happened since you last saw them and ask for their help and support so you can get into surgery to see them to assess you.. They will be used to anxious patients anyway and I know the first time I tilted my head back in the dentist chair I was so worried but my dentist was fab and I have had filling injections , dental xrays and cleans since then and I'm sure your surgery will support you and don't go alone. 

After your visit rest up. Don't me tempted to do to much too soon as it takes longer to recover and as Super Mario said pain is no good to anyone so go get it sorted. You need the pain gone. 

• Like 1

Hi Topsy,

My understanding is that a Ventricular drain is a a temporary measure to drain the blood and csf. It is usually drained to a bag at the bedside and maintained by nursing staff. I had mine for about a week - not that I remember much but I have photos my kids took. It was removed after a week and I new just have a 'dent'in my right temple where the drill hole was.

A shunt is a permanent measure used when the hydrocephalus continues. Daf will be able to give you a good description of a shunt as she has one.

Hope that helps

Clare xx

• Like 1