New headache tablets

Went back to the docs today to get my headache tablets changed again to ones that hopefully will work. He has prescribed Tramacet for the headaches and when I told him about the tiredness/exhaustion, he prescribed a multivitamin tablet called forceva. Has anyone had either and got any tips/ It made my laugh because the headache tablets say may cause drowiness and the vits are supposed to stop the tiredness!!! :lol:

If anyone has any tips let me know

Laura

xx

Hi Laura

Sorry can't help with regards to the tablets he's given you because my head pain is just on the left its not classed as a headache its neurological pain and dealt with by different medication completely.

Hope it works for you though. My new prescription seems to be helping a lot not having to take hardly any paracetomol at all at the moment.

Janet x

Laura

Sure hope the tablets work for you - does make me laugh how meds contradict the point of taking them tho! Codeine taken for headaches is known to cause addictive headaches and constipation so you then need to take a laxative tablet with the side effect of headaches? Makes you wonder sometimes eh?

All the best tho as worry and discomfort is no joke..........

Hugs

Jane xx

Hi Laura

Your new tablets are a mixture of Tramadol and PAracetamol. Tramadol is a strong opiod (ie blocks transmission of pain signals to the brain) and very effective at controlling pain.

I had that in early stages but is actually a strange choice as it can make you feel very "spaced out".

Ann

Hey there

I was givien Tramadol instead of Codeine and refused to take it after a couple of days because it was giving me full on body jerks in the middle of the night. It might just have been the way I reacted to it, but I couldn''t take it.

See how you go with it.

Sami xxxx

I'm starting to wonder whether that could be me tiredness and weird feeling i was getting today.

All morning i kept saying it was like a spaced out feeling and like my comp seemed to be moving!! I put it down to dizziness but wondering if tiredness/tablets etc Am going to keep an eye- no pun intended :lol:

Laura

xx

Hi Laura

See how you go but as I said before anything with Tramadol in is likely to make you feel "weird" or spaced out. It also makes you very constipated so beware. It seems odd to me that doctors prescribe something for a brain condition that can actually mimic the symptoms that make us feel so awful in the first place. For the first few weeks after my SAH I thought the spaced out feeling was a symptom of my SAH until my daughter (the one who is now a doctor) discovered I was on Tramadol and told me that is how I would feel on it. It is often prescribed after orthopaedic operations and it sends many elderly people quite distressed and peculiar apparently.

It is one of the most effective pain killers (similar effect to morphine) but no use if it makes you feel c**p is it!?

Good luck Laura

Had a better day today on them today :D Am supposed to take 2 a day but Ann do you know (or your daughter know! )whether they will have the same effect if I just take them when i start to feel a headache so i'm not pumping as many drugs into me or wikll that make the side effects worse.

Any advie gratefully recieved and understand obviously thatyou are not medically trained. I might give them another week and then see my doc again if still worried.

Laura

xx

Hi

I was prescribed an epilectic (spelling) fit tablet for my neurological pain behind my right eye/back of neck. I didn't get them in the end, because I just didn't want to go down that route. Also I strongly believe all this stuff has side effects of some sort or another. I find that Neurofen is the best for me.

Big hug

Lesley xxx

Neurofen din't touch my headaches, nothing like like does I knew though Lesley that i needed something stronger as it is/was the headches that was keeping me virtually bed bound. with a stonger tablet at least now i get to work! Just don't necessarily work at full strength!

Love

Laura

xx

I tend to stick just to paracetamol now, as in the last 3 years, I've become fed up with the side effects of a lot of the medication that I've been given ..... I also tend to think, that the headaches are an indicator that I'm overdoing things, so I take them as a warning to slow it down or take a rest. I would also love to stop taking the beta blocker Propranolol that I'm prescribed, but if I stop it, my migraines return and I have the ones with the aura, which knock me for six and I find that the heart palpitations kick in. However, my hair is getting thinner, which is a side effect and they can enhance my dizziness, so I'm going to find out if I can have some sort of alternative prescribed when I next see the Doc or I reckon that I'll be bald in about a year!.... I still get a lot of eye nerve pain and I must admit, that the para's don't do a brilliant job with nerve pain, but there's no way that I would take anti epilepsy drugs again, unless I needed them to control seizures, as the side effects for me were particularly awful as was the withdrawal and since taking Phenytoin, I've also permanently needed to take a Vit D & calcium supplement. As it was said earlier, you often take one pill to cure one thing and can then end up having to take other meds to counter balance the side effects.....

Guest yasmin

Hi Guys

I too tend to stick to the paracetamol as Karen says too many side effects with other pain killers, I have learned that my headaches are nearly always triggered by tiredness when I overdo it I suffer really bad, my Dr told me that I would just have to learn to live with the headaches and not to rely on pain killers, easier said than done!

They do get better though unless I have just got used to them.

Take care

yasmin

xxx

Karen-thats the thing often mine were like migraines too, aversion to light and sickness, dizziness etc. I was literally on the settee/bed and struggled to do anything. even those paramax migraine tablets didn't do a lot! These seem to be working but maybe going to ask the doctor if instead of taking 2 a day, i can take one when a headache/migraine starts and go from there. I might not then take any some days but prob would still be taking most days. I must admit though my headaches have been slightly less painful since my new job :D although i'm still getting them :( I'm not sure if its just when i overdo things either as sometimes i can wake with them and be doing nothing all week and still no better I don't know very weird! I agree about the side effects though, it made me laugh that I said about the exhaustion and was given high dose multivits to perk me up and headaches tabs to knock me out!!!

Love

Laura

xx

Yasmin- my doc said that too at first. I laughed and said when you've spent over 2 months in the house with a stinking headache, wouldn't you want to do something about it. He then gave me paramax but they didn't work either!! Would love to stick to para but no point if don't do nowt at all!

Love

Laura

xx