Contraceptives after an SAH

Hi Everyone,

I was on the pill before my SAH and the surgeon quickly whipped them away from me. Does anyone know if/when the pill is safe to go back on again? And if it is deemed 'safe' is there a particular brand/name I should be aware of?

I am due to see my GP next week and would like to get as much info as possible to make an informed decision about the dratted contraception issue.

Thanks,

Leo

PS: My surgeon told me last week that I no longer need an operation to fill the 1cm gap in my skull. Somehowe it has healed itself some 8.5 months after my craniotomy - I am soooo HAPPY!

Hey Leo

That's great news, can imagine that you're relieved.

Can't help on the contraception side of things tho I'm afraid. I have a merina coil (I love it - no periods for 4 years YEY!!!). I imagine the Doc took them off you as some can cause high blood pressure as a side effect, but you're best actually talking to your Doc re contraception.

Hope you have a good day

Sami xxx

Hi Leo :D

Thats great news...really pleased for you :D As for the pill...i too was taken off it straight away...even though i have low blood pressure.....but was told there are other possibilties...i am sure your GP will be able to help you out there...good luck, take care, love Tinaxx

Leo,

I had to come off the pill whilst I was taking the aspirin as soon as I came out of hospital but was allowed back on it after the 3 months aspirin. I think my pill is called Norimin but would need to check when I get home.I take 3 packs together then have a break but that is more because I was an evil witch after a months pack :lol:

I will let you know exactly what my pill is when i'm home

laura

x

x

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I am glad the 'get-off-the-pill-now' is a common surgical response but like many of you I have never had high blood pressure so the whole thing is a mindfield. If only there was a comprehensive A to Z of dealing with the after-effects of a SAH for women (sorry men but it's nice to be selfish every now and again).

I will talk to my GP but I am now armed with a few pill names and questions about the coil - I hadn't even thought of that!

THANK YOU,

Leo xxx

PS: Try not to worry too much Laura - am sure your GP is doing what is right for you and if you have any concerns, just ask them.

Laura don't worry about the pill it can cause problems but so can paracetemol and aspirin just normal over the counter tablets everything can doesn't mean it will cause side effects if your dr has put you on that one then it should be fine. I take norriday you just have to take it everyday and never have a break, my dr had put me back on microgyon 30 and I read the leaflet inside and I come off that one myself hence Shayne :lol::lol: I told my drs I ain't taking it find me a new one after having him because the leaflet inside says do not take is you have had a SAH. Yet your drs should know what is safe another reason they take them off you in hospital is because of the length of time you are in bed some can cause blood clots if you aren't active at all. Just go to your drs and speak to them. And Laura I think your pill is a mini pill the same as mine I think all off those are fine. Jess.xxx

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya all,

Just a quick update. I have been to see my G.P. and the family planning nurse and they confirmed all that everyone has been saying in response to my initial query. The 'mini-pill' has been recommended but we just have to make sure that whoever is presecribing it knows about our SAH's as some are not suitable. I've been given a trial run of a new one called Cerazette.

Fingers crossed then!

Love Leo x