Dropping things - lapses in concentration

Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone else has been having a similar problem to me.

It has happened countless times post SAH and what brought it to mind to mention it on here was on the Green Room today someone (sorry can't remember who - short term memory shot too these days - hope you are okay) mentioned dropping a knife on their foot.

Not all the time, just now and again, when I'm doing everyday tasks, washing up, picking stuff up, even filling a hot water bottle its as if there is a brain lapse or something happening and I don't complete the task/movement. One example: filling a hot water bottle, its as if my mind jumped off to the next task in hand and so I didn't complete the task of putting the stopper in the bottle, then went to push the air out (like you do) and find I nearly scalded myself. Another time, filled up a cup from the kettle and somehow never got the kettle back properly to its cradle and dropped it on the floor (thankfully it wasn't too full and as I leapt backwards I didn't get scalded).

It just occurred to me too, that it mostly seems to happen when passing an object from my right hand to my left. Yes, that would explain it better I suppose: if I don't completely concentrate on what I'm doing when passing an object from my right hand to my left, something blanks out and I don't complete the movement. (Hope this makes sense).

There have been many other instances too numerous to list.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this happening?

Love

Lesley xxx

Hi-it happens to me all the time!

The incident of the knife an example. It happens when i'm tired and everything slows down, speech and concentration being the main culprit, or if im concentrating on something else. Its as if the brain is saying 'whoa' one thing at a time. I dont know how you can overcome this -with me its rest and being aware that this will happen. Hope this is of some help-its always good knowing that you arent alone with a problem

Luv Lynn xx

Hi Tina, Penny, Evelyn, Lynn

Oh thank goodness, I thought I was loosing more marbles than I've already lost!

Oh it was you Lynn who dropped the knife. Hope you've stitched up nicely, bless you! (Its a wonder I haven't hurt myself so far too).

So it looks to be a concentration issue doesn't it. Just take our eyes off the ball (as it were) for a second and we drop things.

Feel much relieved. Will have to make sure I concentrate more when handling risky things like kettles, hot water, hot cups of tea, pans etc (and yes, knives!) Puts the slight mockers on a life time of multi tasking doesn't it!

(My smilies don't work by the way, hence so many exclamation marks!!)

Much love all round

Lesley xx

Guest Beth1957
Hi Lesley

I also get very clumsy when tired do drop things sometimes but mainly misjudge distance and walk into things.

Janet x

Yep, me too. Again it's mainly tiredness & lack of concentration, but sometimes my hand/fingers twitch.

I'm fine physically unless I'm really tired, then I'm not so good - slow and wobbly! Usually means I've really overdone things - at least it means I pay more attention to my limits, for a few days anyway... ;)

I've got rubbish depth perception (and a blind spot where my hips are concerned) so I've always walked into things! :oops:

Blondie

Hi

I have the same problem i have also been filling things up and missing where the water is supposed to go. I also pass things to others and i let go before they have hold of the object and i drop things due to concentration the strangest one is when i grab for the fridge handle and 10 out of 10 times i totally miss it all together :lol:

I cannot multi-task which drives nutts i darnt say how many times i have flooded the bathroom when i have forgotten that i was filling the bath!!!!!!

Hope this helps, i know how it feels to know you are not alone with this.

Sending love and hugs

Michellexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Michelle, Blondie

I too forget sometimes that I've started something. I wander off and totally forget until, suddenly something kicks in and I remember. To date not done too much damage thank goodness.

I also keep knocking my limbs against furniture, walls, the staircase etc. You know it never occurred to me before that it was a depth perception issue.

Gosh it really is amazing on here. And as you say, thank goodness we're not going through all this alone.

Love and hugs

lesley xxx

As well as dropping things my balance is atrocious and because of dizziness when I move my head from left to right, I find it almost impossible to cross roads, especially busy ones, I use a three wheel walker all the time.

My coordination is also very poor, I often miss my mug when pouring water into it, I have burnt my hand so many times that I now keep it well away, and as for concentration and memory, it is very poor and I am unable to multitask.

I keep post it notes in business. :D

Cooking I now do is very basic and I can only do that with the help of timers. I have been known to half peel potatoes, go and do something else because I have just thought about it, and ages later find them still in the sink.

Guest Beth1957
Hi

<snip>

I cannot multi-task which drives nutts i darnt say how many times i have flooded the bathroom when i have forgotten that i was filling the bath!!!!!!

Michellexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh, I miss being able to multi-task... I used to be brilliant at it - reading while holding 2 conversations & watching TV etc.I've gradually lost the ability over the past few years; it's one of the reasons I had to give up work. Now I'm lucky if I can single-task! :lol:

I keep forgetting I can't do it, too, & then getting really frustrated. The family are so used to me being able to do it too, so they get a bit irritated.

Hi Lesley

Yes I've had similiar experiences. After I got out of hospital following SAH I noticed that I would drop things out of my left hand (especially if they were light things) and this would happen when I wasn't concentrating. I also don't always notice things to my left. The doc said it was all due to a slight loss of left side awareness.

I notice it hapening less now though it still happens but it's just one of the many wee changes I've noticed about myself since my SAH. I also tend to overfill cups when making tea and then end up tipping some out to make room for milk.

Warm wishes

Anne xxx

I can relate to what you guys say Like misjudging pouring water into a cup glass etc. Also starting a task then completely forgetting about it. I almost set my flat on fire a few months ago. Went to make some food and had the cooker on but then i forgot about it because i forget I am hungry next thing the fire alarms are going off and the kitchen is full of smoke. Luckily I hadn't went out when i done it as i did when i left the tap running and flooded not only my flat but the chap downstairs...eek. Now when I am cooking I have virtually trained myself to stay in the kitchen until i have finished. Haven't got around the taps one yet but am working on it.......i think :oops:

It really is annoying though and i finish up in floods of tears because something i once took for granted is making me feel useless.

Dear Mollie

Thanks for replying. Makes us all feel better knowing we are undergoing the same experiences.

Don't feel a failure or useless, we survived a huge health problem, so we are wonderful survivors and little by little we are all in recovery and getting there.

Its just basically we have to be more aware and concentrate more when we are doing tasks that we used to take for granted. Put simply, many people set their flats alight and they haven't had a SAH or anything like as serious happen to them.

(An example, my partner Paul left the gas flame lit on the top of the cooker for 5 hours yesterday! he'd made some hot milk, gone upstairs and forgot all about it - and I'm off to Switzerland on Mon for a week , so a little worried about leaving HIM Home Alone!)

Love and hugs

Lesley xxx