Not sure what to claim

Guest Vivienne

Guest Vivienne

Hello you wonderful people!

I'm in a bit of a quandry...

I am employed by the NHS on a fixed term contract, and it ends at the beginning of May.

I am getting sick pay, but I will not be back to work before the contract ends. Had a meeting with my manager today, and she advised me that when the contract ends, that will be it basically.

I've never been in this position before, and when I get my next sick note, who do I give it to?

What do I claim?

I have no idea to what I am entitled to (if anything) and just wondered what others have claimed?

I'm a bit in the dark with it all!

Anyone got a torch?!

Vivienne

The best thing to do is to try and find a Welfare Rights Officer, they will be able to do a benefits check and help you fill in any forms for any claims you need to make, and are impartial. Sometimes your local council employ them. DWP helpline is OK but only give you info about what you ask, they do not impart any other information.

To find an adviser in your area check the Community Legal Advice website. To find an adviser it is near the bottom of the left hand side of the home page. If you ring them you need to be eligable for legal aid before they will help but it is free online.

The Different Strokes website has a wealth of information on benefits ... and you can always call them via phone. Would imagine that your local Job Centre, would also be able to advise you and the Citizens Advice Bureau too....

• 1 year later...

Hello - I'm new here. Had my SAH 2 months ago, whilst working "on the bank" for my local hospital, which is basically a temp job. I have no income at all, and my partner is out of work too. He got told about the Employment Support Allowance (used to be called incapacity benefit), which you claim if you would be signing on but can't due to health reasons. It's a huge booklet of an application form: my partner filled it in with the lady at the Job Centre and brought it to me in hospital to sign. I took one look at it and my brain froze! It was too soon after my SAH to even try and do something like that. We still haven't heard back, but on the phone they have told us we should know by Tuesday. I hope so!

Good luck!

Penny and Paul have been a fantastic help in getting my mum high level disability allowance (although its not for a SAH/stroke), from there we have also sorted cheaper council tax/ blue badge and prescription cards so that works out slightly cheaper. Also free car tax for either you as driver or the carer who goes and gets your prescriptions etc.

I'm sure between Penny, Paul and the different strokes website you will have the wealth of information, but please shout if you want anymore information on the above xxx