Same Aneurysm Ruptured Twice- Ann (returning member)

ann_calgary

Hello everyone,

My name is Ann from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I had my first SAH December 10, 2010. My ruptured aneurysm was coiled. This site was very helpful to me during that time. I was  grateful to know that I was not alone. It took me 10 months to fully recover and Behind the Gray has been my constant and loyal companion. Although, I was not an active participant I found comfort in knowing you were all in “my team.” 

Fast forward to July 16th, 2020 around 9pm, I was in bed trying to sleep. My 7 year old son came to the room and asked if I would watch TV with him. As I was getting up, I felt a sharp pain on my head and felt pressure as intense as the one I felt almost 10 years ago. 

My husband took me to emergency. I remember bits and pieces of that night. I woke up the next day in a hospital bed. Two doctors came to talk to my husband and I. It was the same aneurysm from 2010 ruptured again. The coils somehow detached.

They were unsure if coiling would work again or if they have to put a stent. I was annoyed that they would discuss this in front of me. It made me really scared that I might die. I was sad that I couldn’t even hug my son before I go to surgery. Only 2 designated visitors are allowed per patient and no children younger than 14 because of Covid. 

Thank God the surgery was successful. They had to put 4 new coils. There’s a discussion of putting a stent 4-6 months from now. I have mixed emotions about this but if it needs to be done I’m all for it.

I go back and forth to wondering why? Why again? I vividly remember asking my Neurosurgeon in 2010 the likelihood of this happening again and he said it’s unlikely. I had scheduled CT scans and MRIs every anniversary after my first SAH. In 2016, it was cancelled for some reason.

It was rescheduled for 2018. I believe because of budget cuts. I urged my family doctor to book me one and it’s scheduled this December 2020. Would they have seen the coils falling off had they kept my scans? I guess we’ll never know.

I wanted to share my story and hope it might help someone. I wish I advocated for myself more to have the yearly scans. Knowing what I know now, I will definitely fight for it. 

Thank you for reading my story and thank you for keeping up the site to support all of us. It means a lot! 

❤️ Ann

Hi Ann :) 

So very sorry you have had to go through this all again, Bless you, what a nightmare. Thank goodness the surgery was a success, so very scary for you and your family.

Well done on pushing for a scan in December. I guess with Covid etc everything is all delayed. I agree with you to fight for your yearly scans especially in these unprecedented times.  

Thank you so much for sharing and know that we are always here for you ❤️

Wishing you well with your ongoing recovery. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Take care

Love Tina xx

Hello Ann,

Sorry you had to go through this twice Ann, that really is unfortunate.  I remember my surgeon telling me that over time coils can compact themselves under their own weight, but that 'it was as rare as hens teeth' was how he phrased it. So you really have been unlucky. The good news is that you survived. 

I would certainly go looking for answers, if only to understand what happened. On the positive side though - you survived. I've never heard of it actually happening before, but I knew it was a possibility from something I read once.

Thank you for sharing!

Best wishes,

Macca

Ann. Bless you, what a time you have had. It’s a no guarantee thing any of our fixes I guess and if you need a stent in future then I'm sure you will face that with the same courage as you have faced this set of circumstances 

Go steady and pace yourself. Recovery with young children is challenging but they can understand how they can help you and will Be more empathetic  as a result of their life experiences. Don’t push a return to rush but enjoy the enforced world quieter pace, find time and way to be in nature and just go steady 

Take care

Daff 

Thanks, Daff and blessings to you too!  It was quite traumatic for my son when it happened specifically because I barfed on our bed. 😆 Took him awhile to get over that. 

Thank God my Mom can look after him while I was at the hospital. My in-laws as well and close friends kept him company. When I was strong enough to visit with him outside the hospital (kids under 14 were not allowed to go inside as Covid precaution) we did. 

My husband explained to him what happened to Mom and that I would need lots of TLC. Now that I am home he is an amazing caregiver. He always asks if I am ok or if I need anything. What got me emotional is once he asked me “Who did this to me and why? “  I tried to explain it to him and we just ended hugging each other and agreeing that what’s important is I’m ok and home now. You are so right...he’s more empathetic now and kids can be so intuitive.

I am enjoying the slow and quiet pace at home minus the excruciating headaches and backaches of course. 😊

Ann your bond with your little one will be strengthening day by day. He obviously might not understand the finer details, but he understands for sure you were very ill and he realises he loves his Mom very very much.

I'm sure he enjoys doing things for you and realising he is helping you to get better.  Mentally, it is very lifting for him and for you and it's' almost an unwritten declaration and demonstration of love between you. It will stay with you both forever and your husband witnessing that will also be beneficial for him.  You will come out a stronger family in the end.

Sometimes you don't need to go to school or college to get an education in life.  You have the lesson that love can conquer and overcome all when given a chance.  What a great opportunity you have been given - grasp it with both hands - life is precious, you have received a lesson that is invaluable and will stand your son in good stead for the future.

My very best wishes to you all, I'm so glad you all got that extra chance - take it without a second glance. You deserve it.

Macca

Thank you, Macca. You have such a way with words and it’s like you articulated what is in my heart. When I had my first aneurysm we didn’t have our son yet and I believe the universe had a hand in that.

I had to get better and be prepared for motherhood. Although I bet a lot would agree that nothing can really prepare you for such an endeavor. 

I had immense fear when I had my second aneurysm that I wouldn’t be around to be with my son again.

What a gift for me to survive again and I intend to use every second of it to profess my gratitude by spending time with my family and friends who matters the most to me and spreading positivity, especially with the world we live in today. 

Macca, you really are SUPER! Thanks again. 💖

Archived