Hello from Pascal

Pascal

I’m a 50+ French guy who suffered a ruptured SAH back in June last year followed by an emergency splenectomy 2 weeks later while still in HDU. They didn’t seem to be related but none had an identified cause.

Prior to the SAH, I had suffered some massive headaches and pain at the back of my neck for about 2 weeks but thought it was muscle related (even seen a physio) . Then, one evening I collapsed in front of my wife and grown-up kids (who performed CPR while on the phone with the medics).

9 months on, and I still suffer with cognitive issues (memory problems, lack of concentration…) as well as some strange sensations inside my brain when tired or trying to concentrate/focus too much (pins and needles, feeling lightheaded).

I’ve gone back to work a few weeks ago with reduced hours and with different, easier tasks as I can’t do my previous job at the moment (stats, data analysis, reporting).

I’ve seen some baby steps improvements with memory for instance, but generally, I feel I am, in a way, a different person which can sometimes be unsettling especially as I can’t find any information on these weird sensations in my brain.

I’m very grateful to have discovered this forum a few months ago and find it very helpful.

Hi Pascal

Welcome to BTG, glad you found us and are finding the site useful.

We aren't medically trained so can't give medical advice but we can offer support and our experiences.

I am 6 years post bleed and still struggle with noise, concentration and ability to pay attention and my memory.... we best not mention that. I wonder if the sensations you are feeling may be attributed to fatigue or stress. I know if I have to concentrate hard for any prolonged period it makes my head feel a bit 'wobbly' If you are worried though try speaking to the unit where you were treated as they may have some advice.

With regard to feeling different I think that is something that many who suffer a bleed report. I know I am a changed person, my whole life was thrown upside down that day. It takes time to accept the new normal but you'll get there eventually.

Take good care, drink plenty of water and rest. 

Clare xx

Thank you Clare.

I'm still waiting for my post MRI scan, which I should have had a few months ago but Covid has delayed things a lot. I'll then check with the consultants.

Noise is another factor, especially when I'm tired. You're right. I suppose it takes time to adapt to these new situations and feelings. When I'm down, I just try to remind myself that I'm glad to still be here and that I didn't get any physical issues.

Thanks again.

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Welcome ...  I am coming up on 4 years from my event.  My morning brain and my evening brain are very different now. 

I have been learning Spanish during the pandemic and it has made me aware of the differences.  I make so many more mistakes when I start to get that brain fatigue feeling.  ..So I try to do it more in the morning...I keep thinking to myself if I have opportunity to use the Spanish if anyone talks to me at night hahaha...let's say I will be missing a lot :)

I have found the recovery to be slow but I will say each year I feel improvement.  I also feel changed but the old me is still here and has become very friendly with the new me.  You sound like you are doing a good job moving forward...so happy you found us.

xx

Jean

Thanks, Jean. I think my 'old me' is a bit too harsh with my 'new me' at the moment. I'm trying not to compare myself with how I was before the SAH but it's not always easy. Even though it's been nearly 10 months, I suppose it is still early days for me and we all need to adapt ourselves to our new life.

I'm learning a lot from this forum and it gives me some strength and hope.

Thank you very much 🙂

Hi Pascal 

A very warm welcome to BTG :) 

So pleased the forum is helping you and giving you some strength and hope.

BTG was a Godsend for me. It helped me realise i was not alone and all that i was going through was normal.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Wishing you well in your recovery.

Tina xx 

Hi Pascal!

Welcome!  I don’t exaggerate when I say that this group has been a Godsend to me- especially the first year of my brain bleed.  I’m coming up 5 years, and someone in this group wrote something that has always stayed with me.  Let me share it, and I hope it will be as encouraging to  you as it was to me.

We tend to compare ourselves to what we were like prior to our bleed.  The reality is our brain has gone through a change, and the comparison should really be between what we were like right after our bleed and what we are like now.  I’m not like I was before my bleed,  and many of the things you describe I still feel, but I’m  nowhere as bad as I  was 4 years ago!  When I look at how far I’ve improved from early days post  bleed, then I am encouraged and feel blessed.

The weird feeling you describe in your head, I experienced that too at the beginning of my recovery.  I would get this sensation like water was being poured from the top of my head.  I would get a swishing sound in my head, and feel lightheaded.  I would definitely get that sensation when i was overtired.  4.5 years later, i can’t remember the last time i felt like that.

You are early in your road to recovery- listen to your body, get the rest you need without feeling guilty!  It takes time and patience.  We get it, we’ve all fought this battle.  

Take care,

Pat

Hi there

Warm welcome to the site, glad that you found us.

Apologies I seem to have missed this post origionaly...

Everything just takes time keep yourself hydrated and listen to your body when you feel tired - then rest up...

Take care and stay-safe

Archived