Dizziness after SAH

I had SAH in November 2021. My fatigue was getting better with physical therapy but in February 2022 I suddenly had dizziness and nausea. I was told that my brain was overstimulated. It has been almost a month but my dizziness is not improving. Does anyone know if the dizziness will ease off? 

• Sad 2

Hi June :) 

A very warm welcome to BTG. 

I think it is your brain telling you to slow down. It should improve with time. Like Jess i also still get this if i over do it, or push myself too hard. Sometimes it happens if just sitting doing nothing. Your brain has been through a major trauma and you are still in the very early stages of your recovery.

Pace yourself and listen to your body. Also drinking lots of water really does help.

Sounds like you have doing really well so early, well done you :) 

If it does continue with no let up, as Jess says go back and see your Consultant/GP for peace of mind.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Tina xx

• Like 2

Hi there, welcome if I havent said it already...

My brain gets over stimulated one thing I did was I only drink one cup of coffee a day and that's mostly because

1. Coffee it stimulates the brain

2. I found that Decaff made it a lot worse, so one cup it is...

Keep yourself well hydrated.

But if concerned speak to the doc - peace of mind...

Take care, stay-safe.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jess said:

Hi I still get dizzy and lightheaded 20 years later if I do too much, also weather changes, but speak to your Dr, hope it eases for you soon xxx 

Thanks, Jess! I’m really confused because I didn’t feel dizzy before Feb 2022. 

• Like 2

Hi June,

Welcome and so happy you found BTG...Did you have any changes when you noticed the dizzy feeling?  New job, becoming more active at something?  Our injured brains are sensitive and I find I don't deal with things the way I did before my SAH...

Drinking water is such good advice, I resisted it but found it does make a difference.

As written above consulting with your doctor is the place to figure it out and give you peace of mind.

Hope you feel better.

xx

Jean

• Like 2

Hi June, how is your balance? If that is affected it's definitely worth having a chat with your neuro team. More than likely to be that you have over done things, as others have said you are still very early in your recovery. I hope you can get some answers that will settle your worries.

Clare xx

• Like 1

Many thanks to Tina, Louise, Jean and ClareM for your kind welcome and replies. I’m lucky to find this forum!
I only felt neck and buttocks pain, and sometimes headache if I moved in hospital. The neck pain is gone and buttocks pain is getting better.

After several physical therapy treatments, my fatigue improved and I started to go to grocery stores and walk outside last month.

The dizziness happened after I visited a grocery store last month, and it got worse especially if I turned around, but I didn’t lose balance. The nausea bothers me the most. Do you take any medicine for nausea? 
I have been out of work for more than four months. I have to choose to return to work in May or lose my job.

My job is stressful. When did you return to work after SAH? Thanks!

• Like 3

Hi June, I think it may be worthwhile having a chat with your doctor. This could be anything  so best get it checked out.

My job was stressful and I returned after 13 weeks as my sick pay ran out. I didn't cope well so moved to another job. I have had to do this 2 more times reducing my hours every time. I now work 3 days a week, Tues, Thurs, Fri. Half the hours I was working pre bleed but just about coping now, I am still floored on a Friday. I am a pharmacy checking technician so need to be able to concentrate for long periods which is very taxing.

Take as long as you can before returning to work and phase back slowly if possible. Just bear in mind that you may have to ultimately reduce hours to be able to cope. It's a case of reaching and accepting the 'new normal' then adjusting to it.

Take care and take it slow!

Clare xx

• Like 3

Just thought i would mention, in the early stages if my husband took me out to the supermarket or any shop, i remember the lights really made me feel dizzy and sick. I always wore sunglasses after that. It really helped even though it made me feel like i was posing :rolleyes: :D 

Take care and go steady 

Tina xx

• Like 2

Tina,

Thanks! The light really bothers my eyes. In the first four months My eyes hurt badly when I use my computer. I saw two ophthalmologists but found no problem with my eyes. I can use my iPad recently but have to make it dark. I guess I have to wait patiently for my brain to recover…

• Like 1

Hope you are doing well ?

There is a great 'Letter From Your Brain'

Makes you understand what your brain is going through whilst trying to mend and function as normal :) 

Have a read, here is the link below: Click on the title to read in full.

• Like 2