hello again from momo

momo

Hi everyone, so nice of you all to reply to my first posting. It means so much to me. I would like to now tell the story of what happened to me, although I don't like to go back.

It all happened on the 17th September 2008, I went to the gym to do a class, it was body pump( with weights ). I heard a strange noise in my head, like a ping, then I thought the music had stopped so I stopped. But everyone else kept moving then I realised I was completely deaf. Have to admit I panicked, dropped my weight and ran out of the class heading straight for reception. I knew it was very serious and asked them to call an ambulance. Gave as much info as I could about my symptoms and told them I was going to collapse. I fell straight back and that is all I remember of that day, and the next month. I had suffered a massive SAH. I was transfered to one of the best hospitals in Scotland for this kind of thing and no words can say how grateful I am. The surgeon was superb and so kind to my family always taking time to talk to them even drew diagrams etc. Unfortunately I don't remember him. One month later I got out of hospital and the recovery has been long but I'm just so very glad to be here I really am.

It has now been nearly 17 months and I get quite down about the fact that I'm still not feeling too good.

I hope to use this site a lot, I have read some of your stories and hope to get through them all. I wish everyone all the very best in your recovery.

Well thats my story, feel a bit sad now so I'm off to have a cup of tea!

Bye for now, momo

Hi momo

It's lovely to see you have found the courage to tell your story. I too was nervous about posting mine at the time, but now that it's done I feel at least people can read it and relate to it in some way. It does bring it all flooding back but I think you have been brave in doing this and hopefully now will be able to join in the forums and get the help and support that so many members are willing to give. I think this website plays an important role in lifting people's spirits so do make use of it. I often got very low during my first year after sah and feel sure if I had been a member during that time, it would have helped me a lot.

Take care and hope to hear from you again soon.

Sarah

Hi Momo

Thank you for sharing your story. It must be quite difficult not remembering. I've read the book A Dented Image, and there are stories from SAH survivors who remember nothing. In some cases they were ok with this but others found it difficult not remembering. Have you read this? I remember most of what happened when I had my SAH. I was treated at Edinburgh Western Infirmary and my neuroradiologist who carried out my coiling was was Robin Sellar. A lovely, very tall man, who would draw diagrams for me. In fact Holly is pictured with him in her photo album! Have you spoken to your GP about how you feel? It can be very difficult coming to terms with the "new me".

Hope you relaxed and enjoyed your cuppa.

Liz xx

Hi Momo

If you want to have a look at the picture gallery, go to the top of this page and click on Home. Look at the list on the lefthand side and click on photo gallery, where some members have uploaded photos. I think Holly's pictures are on page 3 or 4. The picture of Robin Sellar is the 1st one.

Hope your headache gets better.

Liz xx

Hi momo,it's good you got to post your story, it is a very frightening time but you seem to be coming through it, it's nice to read that you got looked after well by the hospital, the treatment my wife received was second to none, but this is not always the case,so its nice to read positives,Wish you well in your recovery,Rod

momo

thank you for sharing your story believe it or not it is one of the first stages of recovery facing up to what happened and then being able to shed the guilt so to speak and it will enable you to start to move on and not feel so down or depressed because you are talking to people who have gone through exactly what you are experiencing sweetheart you are most certainly not alone in how you feel

i for one felt lost and helpless when lin collapsed and i had nowhere to go and nobody to talk to i was locked inside a tube and couldn't get out until i found btg i know you may feel that you don't want to go back but unfortunately some do have to go back and lay their demons to rest by putting down in words therefore cleaning out the horrors of a sah and its after effects so that you could move forwards with new hope and a refreshed view on what had happened and become more positive in your own outlook you have made the first step sweetheart i believe you will find each step from now will become easier i hope so yes there will be tears but thats normal but the releif you may get will counter any ill feelings i wish you well in your ongoing recovery with massive hugs and cuddles

Hi Momo, well done for sharing your story. It helped me when I put mine down onto the computer. I know how you feel about not remembering, I went back to bed at 5-30 on the Monday morning, 9th November and my memory is blank until the middle of December. I had had four operations, two drains and a shunt fitted without any knowledge at all. I think listening to my wife who witnessed everything it is a good thing that I cannot remember. It does feel strange having a six week gap in my memory but I can cope with it and am looking forward to a bright future. Like you I was fortunate to be sent to a fantastic hospital, mine was Stoke who I have to thank for still being here today.

With regards to not feeling so good I do not think a time frame is set in stone, we are all individuals and recover at different rates. Think of all the good progress you have made and don't brow beat yourself for feeling low or sad. We have all been through life changing situations, as you said its great to still be here. Hope things improve for you take care.

Edited by johntaras
spelling

Hi Momo

Bit late but a warm welcome to you and thank you for sharing your story like Vivien it took me a fair few months after my SAH to find the site but it has been a godsend to me over the past couple of years. Look forward to hearing more from you once your ready. Any questions just ask there is always someone who can help put your mind at rest.

Hi Momo

It is difficult to come to terms with losing a chunk of your life. I totally lost about 2 months and only have vague memories of the ensuing 6 months or so. I only know what I have been told by my family and I suspect that has been edited. They have told me some of the funny things I used to say and do though. For example, I said that the staff were poisoning me with the food, then I promptly offered my then 6 year old grandson a piece of cake from my tea that I didn't want.

My advice is to just look forward, the past is over and done. The blessing is, you are still here.