Computer use after NASAH

Hi all, Karin here again.

I've recently returned to work full-time after my bleed in Dec 2022, had done a phased return from March and last week was my first full hours week. Whilst I mainly feel so much better, I am definitely finding work on computers much more difficult than previously, and get headachy/SO tired after a days' work.

I know this is an occupational health issue and my employers are definitely so supportive and will help me out with adjustments I need to make, but I don't really know what those adjustments are! As it doesn't feel like an eye problem (I'm not straining or getting eye-headaches due to the screen) but just general head-tiredness, and headaches around the top of my head by the end of the day.

Has anyone else had this experience after a NASAH / SAH and had any positive adjustments to working on screens?

My job is completely computer based so this is going to be a bit of an issue going forward if I keep struggling with it! I'm sure it will be fine eventually and it will just be a case of getting comfortable again but if anyone had any tips of what perhaps helped them, I would know what to try or what to ask my employers for perhaps. 

Thanks in advance 

Karin 

Karin

i have the same issues as you describe with any electronic device such as computer, tablet, phone and TV.  I have to restrict my time on these devices and stop when the headaches start.  I visited my eye Dr. And he could not find any issues so it is contributed to my SAH.   Just take as many breaks away from the electronic device and complete other duties if possible while recovering.  Good luck.  

• Like 2

Hi there - you definitely need to take regular breaks.  Its the fact that you're concentrating whilst looking at the screen that causes the headaches - I'm on mine from 8am to 4pm every day and I take a few minutes every half an hour just to get away from the computer.  Might be worth looking into an anti-glare screen to sit in front of the monitor too.

• Like 2

Hi Karin and thanks for sharing.

Mrs Subs working day involved much time spent in front of her PC screens. While she did not experience headaches, she was able to get her work to provide  much larger screens which eased her viewing. 

Subs

• Like 2

Hi Karin

for a lot of people after a bleed it is the distractions of background noise and bright lights, whilst trying to concentrate on a screen, that can lead to headaches and fatigue.

I had to use noise cancelling headphones and move my desk to a cubby hole off the main office, with no overhead lights in my line of vision, in order to feel comfortable at work.

Since the pandemic I have worked from home which has been a further improvement.  I'm a data analyst and ultimately the only solution for me was reducing my hours.

You are entitled to ask for reasonable adjustments such as regular breaks, time away from the screen doing other tasks, devices and adjustments to help with noise and light, working from home and reduced hours,  but it is up to the employer as to what they can accommodate.

It is still quite early days for you so I am sure you will see improvements.

Best wishes.

X

• Like 2

Hi Karin, a lot of my job involved computer screens but it wasn't just that that made me decide to cut my hours. I just couldn't cope with the overall fatigue which I'm sure you're suffering with. You may attribute it just to the computer but have you considered that it may just be work. Full stop.

As others have said taking regular breaks may help but it may just be that you need to think if you can continue working these hours. Sorry to sound negative, but once I accepted that I just couldn't cope with full time work things did become easier. I still get fatigued but that's because I push myself so it's almost self inflicted.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 3

Wow thanks everyone for such practical responses! I’ll go through all these later and might make some suggestions to my ops manager who may be able to help me out with E.g anti glare or larger screens.

I’m going into the office more now than working from home because I don’t have space for a good chair/desk/screen set up at home.

I definitely think it is the work itself too, not just the screens - I definitely get fatigued so much quicker now doing anything that requires concentration, not just on screens! And everything is taking me longer than before.

But I’ll get there I’m sure. In my ideal world I would change job and do something that doesn’t involve any screens ever again but that’s pretty idealistic in todays world!! 

• Like 3

Also make sure that there are no neon lights near or illuminating the screen. It's not uncommon for neon lights, especially in an office environment, to operate at a frequency that, although invisible to the naked eye, actually clashes with the frequency of the screen. It's basically the principle of strobe lighting, and can cause headaches and drowsiness if you're sensitive to this type of light.

It's relatively easy to check, but get someone else to do it.. stand looking at the screen from about 5 feet away, then nod vigorously. If you see dark lines moving up and down the screen, then you will need to get the tubes swapped out, preferably for LED type. But please do take lots of breaks,

• Like 1

Hello Karin.... worth having a second read of Clare's comment.

You suffered from brain trauma in December, and had it been most other medical issues you might well expect a high degree of recovery.

This is very different .... your brain doesn't  follow these principals. 

You want everything to return to what it was pre bleed, however your brain has been damaged and may never recover fully....

Since your bleed, it has been carrying out alternative routes in its mind blowingly complicated work processes and your desire to be normal again may well put it under so much strain .... resulting in how you are now feeling.  

Clare suggests that being pragmatic and willing to accept that letting your brain somehow reroute.... in the knowledge that by doing so, tough but practical decisions will be required on your part.... Well maybe, just maybe that will require life and work balances having to be re-evaluated 

Worth Contemplating.

Many members of BTG have faced similar issues with varied outcomes depending on the decisions they made.

It's perfectly natural to have that desire for life as it was.... it's courageous to acknowledge that change may be the best 'policy'.

🤔 🤔

Subs

PS Re. Computer screens ...

Mrs Subs also mentioned that a colleague at work had his screen changed so that the background was black and the writing white ... interesting!

• Like 2