Losing Balance

Hi All

Yet another side effect. I have recently been experiencing loss of balance in fact a person I know asked if I was drunk in town as I appeared to stagger and I don't drink. I have been to see my GP who has referred me for further tests. I asked him how my communicating artery (the one coiled) would affect my balance and he was unable to answer other than scans do not pick up everything and something could be going on, possibly unconnected with my haemorrhage. He told me to walk towards him placing one foot in front of another and after two steps I stumbled, I am also aware that I scrape my foot along the floor/pavement occasionally.

Just wondering if anybody has same problem.

Cheers

John

I was left with balance problems immediately after my SAH almost 7 years ago. They are so severe that I have to use a walking frame. I have also been accused of being drunk.

My SAH was the same artery as yours.

Neuro deny that the SAH was the cause and to look at my other medications. I was taking them for years before my SAH with no problems at all, so how could that be?

I believe that the brain is so complex that even the most eminent neurologists do not know all the answers.

Hi John

I also suffer from severe balance problems since my SAH and it was the same artery as yours too, it also has become worse since my second coiling in July this year with the balance and dizzy spells it's not much fun being outdoors, although I have never been accused of being drunk I often have people stare at me.

Penny is right no neuro surgeon can be certain that the SAH was the cause but my surgeon felt that it is something I will have to live with.

Take care.

Hi John,

I still have balance problems and dizzy spells after 2 years. I find it embarrassing and also worry that people will think i am drunk. I also fall over sometimes which is even more embarrassing and usually always happens when there is an audience (only rarely in the privacy of my home!).

I hope it will get better but think it's just something I have to deal with now. I always end up laughing when it happens and it helps when those i'm with laugh too. I hate it when they just stare at me looking stunned!!! I usually need help to stand up again but luckily it doesn't happen too often.

Hi John

I also suffer from severe balance problems since my SAH and it was the same artery as yours too, it also has become worse since my second coiling in July this year with the balance and dizzy spells it's not much fun being outdoors, although I have never been accused of being drunk I often have people stare at me.

Penny is right no neuro surgeon can be certain that the SAH was the cause but my surgeon felt that it is something I will have to live with.

Take care.

I often fall indoors when I am trying not to use my frame. I just say "I bounce well".:lol:

I will never attempt to go out without it as it is too dangerous for me. I am dreading the time if I break something through falling, I will be totally cream crackered for mobility until it has healed.

I also cannot bend over to do anything, like going down to get things out of the oven, I have to hang onto something with one hand to hold myself up or to do things like dusting the skirting board. These actions are almost impossible and if I do try I am left feeling very nauseous which can last for over a day. The result is that I have to have a cleaner for the house and hubby has to do the cooking.

I used to do all our decorating but that is a no no now and I really miss that.

Another thing that causes me to go dizzy is moving my head from side to side, I have to do that very slowly to prevent the dizziness. For this reason I am not allowed to drive anymore and crossing roads is a nightmare.

Putting shoes, boots and socks or tights on is extremely difficult when I have to sit on the floor leaning against something and bend my foot up to my hands. Goodness how long I will be able to do that for and am dreading the time when I am going to need help to dress myself, possibly as I get older. I have to sit when showering as I fall over standing.

It is difficult but I have learnt stategies to help me cope so that I can live life to the full to the best of my ability

Hi Merrill had anteria communcating artery clipped and basilar tip coiled and 19 months on she still has balance problems and her feet drag at time she uses a stick and a chair when we go out as she also tires very quickly and get the need to sit down quite often, as for the doc saying that there might be something else going on thats something i've heard quite a lot.

Merrill also had a shunt fitted and the doc says that should have nothing to do with her balance problems .Rod

Hi there. Sorry to hear of your problems :( I too had an ACOM artery clipped, and at first I did have balance problems and a lot of dizziness. I definitely couldn't put my head down at all, and when the physio asked me to pick something off the floor I could do it as long as I held my head up, if you know what I mean!

Luckily though, I'm a lot better. I only lose balance rarely now. I hope you get better soon!

Hi John

My annie was a different place to yours but I do have balance problems but normally only if I'm tired. If I walk a lot my left foot tends to drag and I'm forever tripping over uneven paving slabs. Hope the tests can give you some answers.

Hi John....i too have balance problems. I had a basilar tip brain stem anni clipped. Sometimes even when standing still i suddenly feel dizzy and bump into things. It is normally when i am tired or affected by certain lights. Good luck with your tests...take care Tina xx

• 1 month later...

Hi Everybody

Just to let you know I have an appointment with a Consultant of Adult Medicine for an hour on 29th December 2010 regarding my balance problems so hopefully I will receive enlightenment then.

I was surprised to receive an appointment just after Christmas, they picked a good day its my birthday!!!

Cheers

John

Another Anterior communicating artery aneurysm here, and at first I had major dizziness and balance problems, but over time it has eased a lot. I just realised the other day I was lifting my feet normally when I walk - suddenly I was just walking better!

Like Penny said, even the most eminent doctors don't know it all - and they KNOW they don't know it all! Every person is different....

I do hope it eases for you but relax, and take it easy x

• 3 weeks later...