High blood pressure (hypertension)

Hi

It seems from other posts on this site that many of us suffer from hypertension either as a pre-existing condition or following SAH.

How many of you have high blood pressure? When was it diagnosed? What medication are you on to control it? Has medication and/or lifestyle changes lowered your blood pressure? Maybe you have some lifestyle tips that worked for you.

My own hypertension was diagnosed in 2004 after having a medical examination for work. After measurements over a period of 3 months and some lifestyle changes (since lapsed!) my blood pressure decreased to an acceptable level (less than 140/90) but since I never followed it through, it went back up again.

Apart from other factors causing brain aneurysms and SAH, it stands to reason that putting more pressure on an already weakened artery (aneurysm) will increase the risk of it rupturing and causing SAH. I'm convinced that this was the primary cause of my SAH, although it probably meant it happened sooner rather than later.

During the early months of my recovery from SAH, my blood pressure was very high - regularly more than 175/110 and once peaking at 210/116

Both my neurosurgeon and my GP told me that whilst the brain is recovering, it calls for more blood flow and hence higher pressure, so my GP decided not to treat it until the neurosurgeon gave the all clear. They were both singing from the same hymn sheet for a change!

Since then, apart from the modifiable factors such as loosing weight and getting more excercise, My GP prescribed Ramipril, an ACE inhibitor (see link below for info on medication for high blood pressure). After one month, my blood pressure only reduced by a small amount, so I now take a diuretic called Bendrofluazide (also known as bendroflumethiazide) as well and my blood pressure is lower still, although it's still a bit high.

Hypertension is known as the silent killer as it rarely has any symptoms. During the first 4 or 5 months of my recovery, I always new my blood pressure would be high when I felt pressure in my head, but that could be the head pressure raising the blood pressure rather than the other way around.

Here's some useful links about blood pressure and medication:

High Blood Pressure

Medication for High Blood Pressure

Ramipril

bendroflumethiazide

Here's to a healthy lifestyle (occasional lapses are allowed!)

Keith

Hi Keith,

I'll check out those links and see if there's anything that I can use for the homepage.....thanks... :D (That's if I remember!)

No, I didn't have high blood pressure pre-sah or after......but I often wonder whether my migraines caused the vessel walls to weaken....as they dilate etc..Childbirth is another factor that I toy with.....all that pushing...feels as though your head is going to explode.....but that's another subject.....but it's interesting to hear that more women suffer SAH than men and my migraines with aura kicked off big style after having children.

Yes Keith, you still have to remember to enjoy life post SAH, otherwise there's not a lot of point and I would rather have quality than quantity.

Take care,

Hi Keith

I now have high blood pressure, I'm on Bendrofluazide, Amlodipine & Atenolol. when I found out I also tried to eat better this dosnt work all the time for me though but I try & make it not only the meds helping me.

I didnt have high BP before eg when I was in hospital but it was caused by an enormous lot of stress & because I'd had the SAH I was more prone to high BP, I remember my consultant telling me when I left hospital for the second time avoid stress as much as you can - not possible in day to day life I dont think.

I found out about it because I went for an Angio when I got my BP taken they asked if I was worried not looking forward to it but the doctor wouldnt do the angio it was to dangerious, so that's how I found out.

My BP is always quite high but when I get the 24 hour monitor its always fine I think its just the thought of getting it taken that puts it up.

Take care

Louise.

Hi there

I was suffering from high bp for about two years prior to SAH and am now on bendrofluoromethazide(?) daily which is keeping BP in check but sending me to the loo a lot (mild diuretic) and I'm convinced it's contributed to weight gain. Nothing to do with chocolate, fruit pastilles etc. at all!

My doctor told me I'd probably be on some form of BP tablets/treatment for life now but, hey, it's better than the alternative!

Keith, like you, I know when BP getting higher as there's head pressure and I feel agitated/'buzzy' and impatient.

Sarah x

Hi there

Yes I know what you mean about going to the loo on Bendro (too long a word)

I can tell too when the BP goes up if affects my feet anckles when I was first put on them the weight ballooned but that changed after a while thankfully dosnt help it was a heatwave of a summer we were having :roll:

Louise.

Hi Louise

Sorry, pressed the wrong button and my post just posted without me posting - if you follow me!!

Yes, weight has ballooned and I know I've been eating more chocolate etc. since giving up smoking but it still seems out of proportion. Did weight gain level off by itself (with sensible eating of course!) or is more urgent attention needed? Any advice warmly accepted!

Sarah :lol:

Hi Sarah

Yes eventually it did, I Googled to see if I could find out what to eat to help the BP, I dont do it all the time but handy to know, basic veg, fruit, rice, pulses ect.....

Its worse in the summer if its hot I have to say, but I found like the SAH different people different affects now why wasnt I surprised at that...

Louise.

Hi Sarah

I lost over a stone whilst in hospital after SAH and I definitely would not recommend it as a weight loss plan. Since then I put all the weight back on and more! :(

Since starting blood pressure medication, I've lost 13 lb in the last 5 or 6 weeks, mostly due to cutting out virtually all snack food (crisps, chocolate, takeaways etc.) and eating more fruit and veg. :D

I don't believe in "quick fix" diets as most people I know who have tried them end up putting the weight back on and end up in a diet-binge cycle. I've also started to get a bit more excercise. Only another 7 lb to go to reach my post hospital weight. The hard thing will be to keep the weight off long term.

I tend to relax the diet a bit at weekends and have the odd bacon & egg sarnie and a few chockie biscuits - you still have to enjoy some things!

The weight loss and increased activity has probably contributed to lowering my blood pressure as much as the medication.

Regards

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Update on blood pressure medication.

I saw the doc this week and although my blood pressure is coming down, It's not yet where it should be. I'm now on a third pill :roll: - Amlodipine which is a calcium channel blocker in addition to the Ramipril and Bendrofluazide. I'm also still taking Simvastatin for my cholesterol. I rattle when I walk now! :lol: Good job I've got a season ticket for the prescriptions or it would cost me a fortune.

I had some dizzy spells a couple of weeks ago and when I checked my BP, it was very low (for me, anyway) at 134/77. I've not had any problems since though.

The weight loss is no doubt helping my BP as well - 15 lb in 8 weeks! :D Only another 20 lb to go :(

Regards

Keith

Hey Keith

That was the 3rd tablet for me too Amlodipine difference is the first was Antenolol.

I've not been on a diet but I have stopped eating crisps what a difference, my insentive is I'm going to a wedding..

Louise.

Well done with the weight loss Keith! :D:D

My cholesterol test results were fine this morning......my reading always look quite high, but I have more of the "good" stuff than the bad..... at least I know that my diet is okay....just need to up the exercise and burn off the cals.

How do you find the meds? The old lady, next door to me has just been put on BP meds and she felt quite ill after a couple of days with dizzy spells, so they've just reduced her dose. It's funny how some people react with meds, yet others don't seem to have any problems.

Hi Karen

I haven't had any problems with the meds except the dizzy spells a couple of weeks ago. The doc said that it's just the brain getting used to lower blood pressure, although it was particularly low that day - actually around the target level that he wants my BP to come down to.

When I started taking Bendrofluazide which is a diuretic, I was having to visit the loo a lot more in the mornings for a couple of weeks, but that's past now. I suppose it's the body getting used to the meds.

I've only been taking the Amlodipine for a few days, so I'll let you know how I get on.

I've got to have a blood test in a couple of months to check on the cholesterol again. The doc said that although diet and excercise will help, it won't come down to a healthy level without some help from the Simvastatin.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

Welcome to my "dizzy world"....it's ****** horrible isn't it? I never appreciated how much dizziness can affect your life, until it struck on a regular basis after the SAH...

Do you eat garlic or take a garlic capsule? I cook quite frequently with garlic now that the kids are older.....as before, they used to object! :lol:

I'm going out to buy my Mum some garlic capsules (the non-odourous type!) as she has high cholesterol and the medication is making her feel unwell and still not bringing her cholesterol down enough. My Dad doesn't like the smell of it, so therefore she won't use it in cooking, but I think it's worth a try. I'm trying to convert her to the world of olive oil, which is a healthier alternative to what she still uses, but don't think it's working!

Both sides of my family have either heart problems such as by-passes/angina or strokes. My Dad's side concerns me, as they've all had strokes, mainly of the clotting type, but my Grandad died of a burst brain artery as well, but at least he was in his 80's and I have a feeling that one of his brothers also had a stroke due to a bleed. I think that it's so important to be aware of family health history, especially since the SAH.

Both of my parents are well into their 70's now, but trying to convince them that lard really isn't too good for you.....neither is frying everything....is probably a task that's way beyond me! :lol:

Hope that you have a good weekend and say "Hi" to Karen for me....hope that she's keeping well.

I have to say, on the garlic front, that while Robert and I eat enuf garlic to sink a flotilla of vampires (as well as taking garlic pills) we still had high cholesterol when starting this diet. We are due to have our bloods re-done at the end of month. It will be interesting to see if, as the doctor has predicted, lowing weight will translate to lower cholesterol. I could kill for a cheeseburger (rare, with crispy bacon).

Joanxx

Hi,

my blood pressure's always seemed to be okay before and after SAH, though come to think of it, it went quite low after, when I was in hospital?

Joan, I just love readin your posts, you make me laugh!!

I've been to my moms today with my sister, we're all missing dad so much, (he died just after I got out of hospital) To start with we all felt a bit emotional, then somethin funny happened an we ended up in hysterics for ages!!

Feel so much better now for laughing!! It's a real tonic don't ya think? See's me through a lot and thats for sure!

Have a lovely weekend all,

Love Suexx

Keith,

just a quick note to say that my husband, who has quite bad heart probs and multiple other things, takes Simvastatin and it has been a fantastic drug for him, his cholesterol is at an all time low, which can only be good.

Love Suexx

Hey Guys

With you all the way on the garlic front I adore the stuff - but... isn't supposed to thin the blood? Don't wanna be a party pooper but does its thinning properties pose any danger to us? Again, there is no list of do's and don'ts or can's and can'ts. Its a question I'm gonna ask the neuro guy when I see him next month - re Alka Seltzer, Garlic, Gingko etc

Anyway I'm off in half an hour so gonna finish up lose ends and meet my parents in the pub for an hour!!

See you all monday and have a great St Patricks day.

Love ya all loads

TTFN Sami (thats Sami, Sue, not Sally :lol: )

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx