Sudden relapse after exercise: back to neck pains and "loose head"

Hi,

I'm 34 and had a NASAH 9 months ago. It has been a tough but positive experience everyday feeling a little stronger and a little more capable... every day... until a week ago.

After I suffered my NASAH my main issues were concentrated around my neck and I had to lay down all the time because i didn't feel strong enough to support my head - gradually this got better.

A week ago i picked up my daugther in a bike trailer and i went home - probably a little too fast ( i used to be in good shape). When I got home i felt an overpowering fatigue and had to lay down and my neck felt weak again has done so ever since. The weakness in my neck worries me because it came on so suddenly and strong after a long period were i have had no problems with my neck at all and now I suddenly feel that I'm back at square 2 (not 1 :o).

I have an appointment with GP next week, but I would like to know if any of you have experienced similar sudden setbacks with the neck symptoms.

Hi Christoffer!

I'm glad you are going to your GP to get this checked out.

I'm a gardener (hobby) and I have been complaining about my neck hurting this year and I've never noticed that in previous years. Although it aches when I'm outside bent over for too long I don't feel like I can't hold my head up. I just feel like I need to rest and change positions more often.

It's been almost 7 months since my NASAH and several times I've tried getting back on my treadmill, albeit very slowly and for not nearly as long as I was prior to the event. Just since last week it's been more regular but only walking and only 3kms. It really wipes me out. Yesterday I was on the treadmill, had a shower, went to the grocery store, planted 3 plants, and watered new grass. Then I needed to sleep in the afternoon. I find that beginners yoga is easier on my energy levels but I want to do both! Yoga one day and treadmill the next day.

Sandi K.

Hi and welcome!

I had a weak neck for many months (in fact at least a year probably) after my SAH ..... My neck didn't feel as though it could support the weight of my head and I would often prop it up with my hand, even when walking....it was worse when I was fatigued and often felt like asking the GP if I could get one of those neck collars to support it. I've not experienced any sudden setbacks with the neck problem and over time, the problem gradually eased.

I would say that people here are always wise to go and get checked out with their GP ... it may be that you've just overdone things and the brain/fatigue has a nasty way of kicking back at you and giving you a reminder to slow it down for a while.

If you're really worried, then try to go and see the GP earlier, as it will give you peace of mind, as the worry is not helpful for anyone's head.. but meanwhile take it easy, as 7 months post recovery is still early in terms of recovery, even though you probably think that you should be doing more ... it's very often one step forward and two steps back at some points in the early months but you'll get there, just don't rush it and take some time to recover .... xx

Hi there

Warm welcome to the site....

I agree with Karen try seeing the GP earlier will put your mind at ease....

yep its like swings and roundabouts when you think your doing good wham, we've all been there.....

Hi Christoffer

Im nearly a year on and like you ive started having neck pains these last few days. I also had more trouble with the back of my head mostly near my neck after my bleed. I used to find i couldnt hold my head up easily almost like my head was to heavy for my body. Also like you i was doing so well, then it looks like im going backwards again. Im trying so hard not to let my anxiety take hold again and ride it out.

Take care

Traci S xx

Hi Christoffer

Welcome to BTG.

I'm 2 1/2 years post SAH and still have problems with my neck. I too felt it was too heavy to be supported on it's own for months after my SAH. In fact I found this site 8 months after my bleed, as it was only then I could sit at the computer for any length of time without the neck pains causing me a headache.

I have to do excersises every day to keep the muscles from tensing up and also to strengthen them. But I still get very bad headaches that can last several days which comes from the neck pain. But my aneurysm was on my vertebral artery, so my bleed was at the back of my head. I also have 9 coils fitted and my left vertebral artery has been completey occluded and I get pressure from where the coils have settled, which also causes me neck pain and subsequently headaches. The headaches get quite bad and are quite similar to the SAH (in that my head feels like it's going to explode) but pain relief medication, a dark room and complete peace and quiet and they ease. My husband gets very anxious at times and keeps a very close eye on me when I get one of these.

The excersises I do were given to me by my physiotherapist and certainly keep the intensity of the pain in check. As the others have said, any worries you have and the the first port of call should always be your doc. My doc knows me so well now that he can spot even the smallest changes me, even if I don't! It could be that you've stretched or twisted something but the only person that can tell you that for definite is your doc. Take care.

Hello Christoffer and welcome from me too.

It's horrid to have pain in such a vulnerable part of our bodies isnt it?

I am sorry you are in pain and so worried about your neck. It sounds that a GP check up would help to deterimine if anything has been exacerbated.

It is helpful for me to hear of others experince with neck problems as this is one of my ongoing issues too. It is somehow reassurin to find I am not alone in my ailment.

It is about 21 months since I had a SAH and craniotomy. I am doing well but my neck, base of head and jaw still get tight and ache. I have to be very careful with the exercise I do and what type of stretching I do to try to relax the area.

If I overdo computer work or driving I get sore, let alone lifting weights that strain that area. I like to swim in Summer, but I don't do overarm when my neck and head is sore. I also have don't do gym as I don't like the strain on that part of my body.

I had an osteopath prescribe gentle exercise to stretch the neck down, holding the head and relaxing the neck. I think I will have to pay attention and money for treatment for this part of my body for quite some time.

I hope you and your neck are feeling better.

Tracy

• 3 weeks later...

I, too have neck pains and I notice they are worse when I 'overdo' it. I walked for a while last week and my neck and upper back were very painful. Massage helps a lot as well as heat. I have read some places that advise to avoid massage, so check with your doctor. My doctor told me it would be okay. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't get a massage.

I hope you feel better.

Carolyn

Hi again!

I'm getting massage too but my RMT stays away from my neck. She leaves that to the chiropractor who is very careful with me and never does any snaps or cracks in my neck. Massage on my back really helps the balls of fire on my spine in the upper back region. At 7 months post NASAH these fireballs seem to flare up almost daily. Massage also helps to work out the concrete of fatigue (heaviness) in my arms and legs.

I've been more successful with excercise over the past couple of weeks. I tried another 10 mins on treadmill which was too much. I'm doing treadmill one day, elliptical the next, yoga the third day. Only 20 mins and 3kms on treadmill, only 10 mins on elliptical, only gentle yoga with little or no head below heart poses. It's a start and I feel like it's making a difference even though it's nothing compare to the running I used to do in the treadmill.

Sandi K.

When I was out of it after SAH ...my daughter always straightened my neck up....

I would sit lop sided...bet Iooked great lol..Guess it is a part of the SAH ???

I sit straighter now, but I have to remind myself to straighten up.....

"Head up Shoulders back Win",,I say that everytime I walk/limp but still walk

wonky if tired but every day is getting better

Wish you all well..and STRAIGHEN YOUR BACKS UP !!!!!

Love

WinB143

• 1 month later...
Hi again!

I'm getting massage too but my RMT stays away from my neck. She leaves that to the chiropractor who is very careful with me and never does any snaps or cracks in my neck. Massage on my back really helps the balls of fire on my spine in the upper back region. Massage also helps to work out the concrete of fatigue (heaviness) in my arms and legs.

Sandi K.

Me too - I see an osteopath who is very gentle and says do not let anyone try and snap/crack the neck any more!

Christoffer: welcome to BTG. Are you sure the GP can't see you sooner? Or can you phone the neuro people where you were treated to ask them if you need an appointment? GPs don't tend to see many people with SAH....

Good luck with everything. Take it easy - I know I hated people telling me that, but you DO need to take care of yourself and make sure you rest and drink plenty of fluids! :) Take care.