Introduction to Mags, Hayling Island, UK

mshawx_head

Hello fellow sufferers,

Amazingly, I found this site really quickly after my SAH - so here is my introduction and the background to my "event".

I live on the south coast in the UK at a place called Hayling Island. I'm a keen road cyclist and like to try and keep myself reasonably fit, at an age when too many give up. I work full time in the IT industry and have certainly struggled to balance the demands of my job, on my time, with the need to keep myself reasonably fit - which I know I need to function properly. I'm married to husband Neil, who 6 years ago contracted Meningitis, so I have a partner who understands (possibly better than I do at the moment !) what its like to go through a "head problem" and has been a great support. He also probably knows me better than I do myself !

I had a NASAH on 14th August 2011. I was out on my road bicycle, and I remember thinking just before it happened, how well I was going that afternoon, when - WHAM !! Suddenly I had the most intense headache, I'd ever had. My first thought was de-hydration. It was a warm day and I'd been active all morning in the sunshine. I stopped, drank some water, poured some over my head, but it made absolutely no difference. In fact I was feeling worse - this was not dehydration. I got back on my bike and started cycling back home. After 10 minutes or so, I thought, "I really can't do this", got off and sat by the side of the road. I phoned my hubby who came and picked me up and took me home.

It was pretty clear that something was very wrong, my head hurt like heck and my neck was so painful. That was enough for the old man. After having meningitus himself he was ultra sensitive to the symptoms - some of you will know meningitis is often characterised by a painful and stiff neck. With some effort, I got changed out of the lycra (in hind sight that was quite some blessing, if not for me, then certainly for the medical staff !) into a t shirt and shorts and almost before I was aware, I was being driven by my hubby to our local A&E Department. The care at A&E was great, and within a couple of hours I was having my first ride in an ambulance to the Wessex Neurological Centre at Southampton General Hospital. The same place my hubby was six years earlier with meningitus. They looked after him so well, that I knew I was in safe hands.

Throughout the whole episode I never lost consciousness, and was always aware of my surroundings. It was just my head and neck were so painful and lying flat was the only thing I felt capable of doing.

(I'm sure some of you also have bed pan stories but am I the only one who finds it virtually impossible to "go" lying down :oops: ?)

Another CT scan plus an angiogram scan followed, and finally the Doctor pronounced there to be no abnormality or aneurysm, and that what ever had caused the bleed had destroyed itself at the same time. So down to pain killers and time as treatment.

On 19th August 2011 they discharged me from Wessex to go home and continue my recovery ....... which is where I am now. And no need for a follow up, they said. Whilst that's really good news, I do have that slight sense of having been "cut adrift" despite having access to Wessex Neurological's Support group.

So as I post this, its now 2.5 weeks since and I can't believe that I am doing so well so soon BUT I do know that I need to take things much more slowly than my natural tendancies normally dictate. I can say that this site has helped me to realise that, as well as come to terms with taking things more slowly.

Best wishes to fellow sufferers.

Mags

x

Hello Mags,

Welcome to BTG.

I was also treated at the Wessex, my SAH was this time last year.

I didn't get onto this site until recently-ish, it's been a true godsend to me. People who always listen, give advice, lift your spirits when you're feeling down and have a good giggle with along the way. For me at times my journey of recovery has been a very dark lonely place. Not any more.

As Louise has said you're very early in your recovery, so get plenty of rest and drink lots and lots of water.

I wish you well in your recovery and hope to hear more from you soon.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

Welcome Mags

Glad you've found this site. It's an excellant source of Empathy & Advocacy.

I'm sure you'll find the information and support you'll need on here.

Knowing your not alone, also helps

I'm originally from the IOW, and with my past job, I know Hayling Island very well. Sinah Warren & Lakeside, I used to visit a lot. Also the "Ferryboat" whilst awaiting the landing craft, to the other side.

Hopefully a few other fellow southerners will pick up this post.

Take care-looking forward to future posts

Hi Mags am just up the road from you near cosham & was also treated at Wessex. I am now 14 months post clipping & life is slowly returning to normal although my temper & emotions are still pretty unstable & I get very tired still.

You are extremely early in your recovery & its very easy to try to do too much too soon & i found out the hard way it sets you back a few days when you do too much. The best thing is small steps listening to your body & drinking lots of water to help ease those headaches. Unfortunately as good as Wessex is there isn't much info given in terms of recovery & the main reason for that is they just don't know! everyone is soooo very different & recovers at their own pace. soemtimes too you think you're getting over certain issues & they come back to bite you on the bum (tiredness is on of those for me).

I hope you will be going to the support group on 17th so we can meet up & say hello (although I am very unfit & not very active!!)

Gill

xxx

Hello again, Mags. Welcome to BTG.

I also had a PM-NASAH

I read above that you were told that no follow up is needed.

I respectfully beg to differ with your doctors.

I would suggest that you look into getting a follow up CT angiogram at 3 weeks post SAH. This just assures that there was no aneurysm hiding out during a vaso-spasm as they were taking pictures of your brain the first time. This is very unlikely, but it is possible and has been known to happen.

If you do have an aneurysm that would be good to know as it is has proven to be unstable. If nothing is found that's great you get to join the ranks of "certified anomaly".

Over here in certified-anomaly-land we wear silly badges, hats and sing ludicrous songs. Oh, wait, that's all of us here at BTG (right Win?).

A word of caution, I have found that the onus is on me to be the leader in my recovery care. This is difficult since the last thing I want to do right now is lead, but I have come to realize that the doctors know so very little about SAH and even less about PM-NASAH. There is lots of information available (if you're into information), and there are the simple steps like rest, rest, fluids and rest...

...and get that follow up scan so you can sign off assured that there is no aneurysm.

If information is too much for you to process right now, feel free to get hubby to PM me and I can give him a kazillion links so he can get more educated on what's happened to you, and what the recovery journey might look like.

Keep in touch.