going in to jr oxford today for clipping op tomorrow

good morning all .well im a bag of nerves havent slept all nite going to have 3 out of my 7 clipped that will be 3 less to worry about .can any one thats had craniotomy tell me how they felt when they woke and how soon they come home just so i have some idea well i hope u all have a great day ty

Theresa good luck for tomorrow I'm sure it will be fine. i was clipped & my first thought was the pain from my annie had gone, my second thought was I felt like I'd been trampled so the gave me oramorph. I think then I had a vasospasm as I was sick & then transferred to HDU. Despite being in HDU I actually didn't feel too bad, I did sleep a lot but felt well enough to want to get out of bed.

Because of the vasospasms I was in hospital for nearly 3 weeks but when they suspected a mirror image anni on the other side I was told I would be out within 2-4 days with elective surgery.

We will be thinking of you & crossing everything for a quick recovery xxx

good morning all .well im a bag of nerves havent slept all nite going to have 3 out of my 7 clipped that will be 3 less to worry about .can any one thats had craniotomy tell me how they felt when they woke and how soon they come home just so i have some idea well i hope u all have a great day ty

Hi Theresa

I too had my anni coiled at the JR, only one though and not three. It's a wonderful hospital and you will be in excellent hands. I hope it all goes well for you.

i had the bust one coiled in feb this year and that was ok its been a hard year as when i went to have the others coiled they could so now im have 3 clipped and will have the other 2 at the front of my head coiled at a later date and the 2 i have at the back of my head they are going to keep a eye on .iv got to call them in 55 mins to check they have my bed but they are great there ty all again it dose help to no how others feel xxx

Good luck for tomorrow.

I do sympathise immensely with those who are aware of forthcoming procedures. I feel lucky that I knew of my coiling operation days after the event; otherwise I would have been very nervous. It is a natural human response to be anxious before such things.

I know people who have had a craniotomy and were out of hospital before me, say after six days or so. Despite being coiled, I developed some problems with hydrocephalus and was kept in for five weeks. I guess this shows how individual our recoveries are. Coiling is traditionally a procedure one would expect a shorter physical healing, but in my case, I saw many patients who had technically more invasive surgery than me come and go at hospital.

When we are stressed it is difficult to look for the positives and I for one can be quite annoyed when I am anxious and someone tries to encourage me to see the 'brighter side.' I can feel a little agitated that they are not feeling my pain properly!

So when I say this, it is in the context of understanding that you are stressed about tomorrow and I am not minimising that. I just think that the recovery from a planned procedure is probably better than an emergency procedure where the brain has received dome damage from bleeding. The planned operation is to 'fix' as opposed to 'fixing and mending.' I would imagine that the brain is in a better position to heal with a planned operation and I hope your recovery is towards the shorter end of the scale.

Maybe it will be nice if one of your family / friends could log on to BTG to let us know how things are going for you, because you are going to need to rest for a few weeks and writing on here may be challenging. But if you appoint a 'secretary' (!) it means we will know how you are getting along and we can also send you messages of support, which may give you a little boost!!

Take great care,

Lynne

Good luck for tomorrow.

I do sympathise immensely with those who are aware of forthcoming procedures. I feel lucky that I knew of my coiling operation days after the event; otherwise I would have been very nervous. It is a natural human response to be anxious before such things.

I know people who have had a craniotomy and were out of hospital before me, say after six days or so. Despite being coiled, I developed some problems with hydrocephalus and was kept in for five weeks. I guess this shows how individual our recoveries are. Coiling is traditionally a procedure one would expect a shorter physical healing, but in my case, I saw many patients who had technically more invasive surgery than me come and go at hospital.

When we are stressed it is difficult to look for the positives and I for one can be quite annoyed when I am anxious and someone tries to encourage me to see the 'brighter side.' I can feel a little agitated that they are not feeling my pain properly!

So when I say this, it is in the context of understanding that you are stressed about tomorrow and I am not minimising that. I just think that the recovery from a planned procedure is probably better than an emergency procedure where the brain has received dome damage from bleeding. The planned operation is to 'fix' as opposed to 'fixing and mending.' I would imagine that the brain is in a better position to heal with a planned operation and I hope your recovery is towards the shorter end of the scale.

Maybe it will be nice if one of your family / friends could log on to BTG to let us know how things are going for you, because you are going to need to rest for a few weeks and writing on here may be challenging. But if you appoint a 'secretary' (!) it means we will know how you are getting along and we can also send you messages of support, which may give you a little boost!!

Take great care,

Lynne

i will tell my hubby mark to let u all no how it goes and i understand fully what you write hun im so sleepy with not sleeping last nite i dont think they will have to put me to sleep lol xx

Hi Theresa,

Wishing you lots of luck for tomorrow.

I had clipping following my SAH in August last year.

I was in hdu for a week but don't really remember much, I have a few hazy memories which I'm not sure are mine or gaps my family and friends have filled in for me. Then I was on a neuro ward for just under a week before being sent home.

Everything in those early days was such a struggle, the easiest of tasks would make me exhausted.

You will get there, just take things slow and gentle.

It would be lovely if your hubby can keep us informed when he can.

Again, good luck. Your'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

Hi everyone,

Theresa wasn't able to go in on Sunday as they had no bed, but went in for 8am on Monday the 7th, She didnt go down for surgery until about 11am. I went from Devon to Oxford and got to the hospital about 1330, Theresa came back at 1710, It was shocking to see her look so drawn and pale plus her scar/clips were double the size we had expected, the reason behind that is because the Surgeon found another aneurysm making 4 that he clipped. Bless her, Theresa normally comes around quite fast but not this time and it took some doing for the male nurse Marcus to get her to respond to the normal cognitive questions but she got a tiny tiny bit better after a few hours. There was a query about her drainage as it did seem to be draining fast which resulted in the nurse calling the doctor but it was felt that it was ok. Even though she was 'out of it' she was still her normal fast witted self and was able to have a sisterly 'dig' at my over protective nagging self whilst the nurses were talking to her... That was a relief I can tell you.....

Hated leaving her at the end of visiting time. Her husband made it right when I was having a flap about how poorly she looked by reminding me that in fact Theresa was better than she had been a few hours before in effect...

Yesterday (Tuesday 8th) she was alert, talkative in spurts, having a cuppa (and then projectile vomiting it back) not up for eating and easily tired. It was a shock for her seeing her wound as it does go in a crescent arch from the middle of her forehead to her ear.. She's a tough bird though and was making jokes about it.. so wish I could take all the horrible stuff away from her. Bless her she was really swollen yesterday and I understand today its worse but the Consultant is not worried about it and she had her drain removed so all positive steps. I travelled back south last night after visiting time, (don't want to stress her too much!) It was lovely to see her having a laugh with a friend who came with myself and Theresa's husband yesterday and I'm sure he will be a great support to her over the coming months. She had a lot of pain in her head and going down the back of her neck yesterday and was tired and drowzy. I'm not certain but because she was so swollen on the side of the surgery and was unable to open her eye, I imagine that was causing the other eye to work harder too, on top of the fact that she had just had major surgery the afternoon before.. Amazing person that she is, you would never of thought it.

Speaking to my brother in law about a hour and half ago and Theresa was sleeping whilst he went for a coffee, She is in a room of her own which is good for her to have some quiet time and for her to have some control over the lighting as she normally likes low lighting and especially now does not like bright lights.

Thank you all for continuing to support Theresa. Take care of yourselves.... I admire you all greatly going through so much. an admirable bunch of folk x

How lovely to hear from you and thank you for your update, particularly during what is an emotionally challenging time for you.

The signs of progress with Theresa appear to be evident already. I accept she is very weak and tired at present, but to be talkative and drinking tea so early on seems promising, (despite the tea reappearing!)

It is good to learn that she has a room of her own. That hopefully will give the brain some added peace, which will be of help.

How insightful of Theresa's husband to point out how, despite looking poorly, Theresa is in effect 'better' now than what she was before. I imagine some people here who have future procedures planned, may draw some comfort from those words. It is a constructive and positive way to look at the event, (and very clever!)

Please pass on my best wishes to Theresa and I wish her the very best. She seems to have very good family around her and it is a support system she will find invaluable.

Thanks again for the update, I had been thinking of Theresa and hoped that things had progressed well.

Lynne xx

Edited by Lin-lin

Thank you so much for the update on Theresa, please wish her well from us and give her a big hug. You are right, she is very very brave and it's wonderful to hear that she's keeping her sense of humour through this tough time. It's lovely that she has such a caring sister who is looking out for her along with her husband and friends.

Sandi K.

So pleased to hear how Theresa is doing, I have been thinking about her since reading her post a few days ago.

She is indeed a very brave lady to have agreed to go through this operation, it must have been a terrifying time for her beforehand and for her family - it's great to hear you are all there to support her & I'm sure you, too, could do with a rest after this.

Please pass on my best wishes for her recovery & I look forward to her being able to post for herself soon.

Michelle x

Hello Gina,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how Theresa is getting on.

Please pass on our love and some big hugs.

Sounds like you're all doing a great job in supporting her. Well done all of you.

Take care of you, yours and each other.

Remember that your strength will be her strength.

Best wishes,

SL Xx