Advice needed please

• 4 weeks later...

Where I work, there is another office which is actually a call-centre. I thought that a call centre job would be a bad idea because of the issues I now have with my super-sonic hearing, so HR sent me up there last week to have a look around. I was surprised to find that it is actually better because there is a general 'hum' of voices and I couldn't actually pick individual conversations out.

Today I visited again and spent almost 3 hours connected to a colleague's headset so that I could listen in to what the calls are really like. I was supposed to be there for an hour, but I stayed for three. Who can decide if they like a job in one hour??

The time flew by and I quite enjoyed it. The calls seem fairly straight forward - customer has an appliance which has broken down, take information about appliance and problem, check customers details, book an engineer, take another call. There is no multi-tasking involved, at least not like there is in my current role. There are targets to meet - 9.5 calls per hour and apart from that, no-one looks over your shoulder.

As it would be a redeployment, there is no interview process. I asked my manager what happens now. She told me that she has no idea where we go from here but that I'll start my training on the 3/12. That doesn't sound to me like someone who has no idea! My only concern is that because I was not able to complete my phased return, I will jump from 4 hours per day straight to 8 with no graduation. My friend has suggested to me that if I have a role I am new to (rather than my current role that I did for 3 years before sah) than it will lower everyone's expectations, including my own, which is a very valid point. Perhaps I will manage 8 hours of a less responsible role that does not involve lots of multi-tasking.

I am very excited to think that a solution is potentially imminent!

I have been offered a full time role in the call center. My start date is the 3rd of December after all (my manager was correct then!). We still have to finalise things like the hours of work etc, but basically as I am now on holiday until Tuesday of next week, I only have four more working days in the current position!

I feel so hopeful. Excited? Much!

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

thank you all so much for your input on this subject, you all helped me to come to a hard decision and I'm already reaping the rewards!

I started my new role 3 weeks ago. I went from 20 hours per week to 40 with no graduation whatsoever. I was rather concerned about this and after the first day, I didn't think I was going to make it but here I am after completing 3 full weeks of full time hours and I am still feeling ok.

I can't even begin to describe how good it feels to be away from everyone's high expectations and the negative weekly meetings. I have been placed in with a team of interns and will stay with them for several weeks before being expected to work alone. This is such a nice gesture because I know that they are rather short staffed in my new department and could really do with me to be getting on with it.

The staff seem very nice, I was sitting alone in the canteen one day because most of the interns smoke and two permanent members of staff insisted that I sit with them instead. That wouldn't happen with the department that I've just left!

I am noticing improvements in my stamina, memory and my logic abilities are coming back too. I can even do some maths in my head which has not been possible since sah. I am putting most of these improvements down to a lack of stress, what a difference this move has made!

Thank you all for helping me to get into a better place!

Dawn x

Dawn that's wonderful! Such an encouraging post and I'm so happy for you. The doubling of the hours so quickly would have scared me too but changing your role seems to have helped immensely. Thank you for posting. Gives me even more reason to think positively of returning to work but in a different role.

Sandi K. :-D

Dawn that's wonderful! Such an encouraging post and I'm so happy for you. The doubling of the hours so quickly would have scared me too but changing your role seems to have helped immensely. Thank you for posting. Gives me even more reason to think positively of returning to work but in a different role.

Sandi K. :-D

Hiya Sandi,

I sometimes wonder if I should have asked for a different role from the beginning but I honestly thought I would be fine with my own job as I'd been doing it for 3.5 years previous to sah. It wasn't until I went back that I realised it was a far more responsible role than I had ever realised and that my abilities just weren't up to the task at hand anymore. In deciding to return to work, I hadn't taken into consideration the personalities of those who I would be working with and it turns out that this is a very important consideration too.

Although it was deeply unpleasant to begin with, I don't think I would change the way it all happened now because I really appreciate my new role and I think that a more simplistic job is the way forward. Perhaps if I work within my limitations for now instead of pushing my brain so hard, I will be able to build up to something more demanding in the future. Or maybe I'll just sit back and enjoy a job that actually ends at 17:00!

I wish you well in whatever you decide to do xxx

Some very good points Dawn. Had you gone straight into the new role you may have always wondered if it was the right choice. I think I would always kick myself for not trying to return to my job. Now I've tried my old job twice and both times it was dismal I know for sure I need less responsibility and less hours. I feel fine with it but it sure took a long time to get here.

Sandi K. Xoxox