moving!

My husband has been out of work for 7months...But, he recently accepted a position in OHIO (we live in Michigan now).

We're going to start the process of realtors, packing, garage sales, logistics, etc. I'm excited, but kind of overwhelmed. Has anyone else managed a move since their SAH? Or any other life altering experience, for that matter. How did you cope? One of my issues is the reflex crying. I am totally fine until something hits and then it's the biggest cry of my life. All this uncertainty/stress really ramps this up. I also find myself able to pack for only a short time and then I have to lay down. Bluh.

Any advice?

Thanks,

~Kris

Kris it will be fine! We sold our house in dec last year and I was stressed out to the max throughout the sale (i work in the estate agents and basically delt with my own sale) ironicly had the bleed in march this year and so had to put the move off etc till may this year luckily our chain was willing to wait! Everyone said dont go though with the sale a t I did because we are just where we want to be and right near a huge park fora my little boy. I often wonder if the stress of it all caused my blood pressure to rise and my bleed to happen! They do say its the most stressful thing you can do and I work in the job so yeah do wonder. But you will be fine just dont let it stress you out it is not worth it xx

Hi Kris,

first of all - Congratulations! For your husband to gain employment must be lifting a huge stress (moving aside).

I can imagine that it is all rather overwhelming and I am wondering if breaking the whole thing down will help. Tackle this by making it small chunks, like a room at a time or a set of drawers at a time rather than thinking of the entire HOUSE. Do you find making lists help? Lists are my friends because then I don't have to try to keep stuff in my head and it helps the anxiety to subside. Perhaps you could list the things that need emptying in each room and tick them off when they are done. Similar to decorating, don't start on another room until one is fully completed.

I will add that I have not moved house since sah and so all of these are just thoughts and not from experience. If you need to lay down after a short amount of time packing, do so. I know we are all different and i don't know how it is for you, but when my brain has frozen up, often just a 5 minute lay down will let it all come back online and I'm good to go again for a short while. Let your brain guide the process and you will get there eventually.

Let us all know how you get on

Best of luck, Dawn x

Kris, I have not moved but have handled some major issues and pressures the past 15 months. many prior ot my RITALIN!!! ........ As I am sorting Cards & gifts today I have no idea how I did some of the stuff and got through it but I managed it somehow. You will be fine, just do not think too far in advance.

Hi I moved for the first time whilst I was in hospital, then again in 2004 just on the move for the last time back to brownhills it is very tiring yes I have to agree. And very upsetting too I would of loved my kids to finish at this school rather than move but sometimes you have to follow your head and not your heart. I am torn between the two places brownhills cause I am finally going home, and here because this school is the best I have seen. Jess.xxx

Ps onwards and upwards try not to get down new start.

Hi kris. Thrilled to hear that he's found a new job and I hear Ohio is very nice.

I haven't moved since SAH So no experience to offer. Just to suggest that you take a Dim Sung approach....small bite size chunks...lists will be your friend and ask for help to pack.

Also do you have friends in Ohio? If not get introduced to some by mutual friends , thats always nice.

If I was closer I would help:razz:

Thank you all for your uplifting posts! It really does help a lot.

I'm taking the list thing to heart, as well as the short rests, and tackling one room at a time. All of these have been really helping. I played my last orchestra concert tonight and didn't cry when I said my Good-Byes.. :-D This is so huge for me. I've cried almost every day at least a few times, but having a day like today without crying and feeling like I used to feel about things is so welcomed.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it all turned out!

~Kris