Here is a log I kept about my 5mm Mid cerebral trifurcation aneurysm

I was diagnosed on Sept. 21 2011. I have a 5mm trifurcation aneurysm. I am scheduled for an angiogram on Dec 14. The good news is we have a brand new hospital with the most up to date neurological suite. The doctors here have come up with a way to inject glue into the aneurysm.

http://www.strokeandcerebrovascularcenter.com...

I feel lucky that they found this problem on a routine MRI as I have no symptoms at all at the present time. I have some anxiety but have confidence in my doctors so we shall see what happens.

12/11/2011 So far I have no pain at all, and my aneurysm was caught while looking for something else, I had vertigo caused by BPPL which is common and is a temporary inner ear condition caused by lose calcium deposits. This condition is now gone so if it wasn't for the vertigo I would not have known about this potential ticking time bomb.

12/14/2011 the test went OK the results were not what I wanted to hear however. I have a 5.7 mm aneurysm that will require clipping do to its location.

12/29/2011 I just came back from seeing my surgeon and he said I will only require a 3 day hospital stay and should only be on the seizure meds for a week. He said my angiogram went fine and he would do another after he clips me. I am feeling much better about my outcome I just got the word it will be done on Thursday January 5, at 6 AM. I am a little nervous but also glad at the same time that I can put this behind me and move on.

After surgery: 01/07/2012 They put 3 clips on my aneurysm

01/08/2012 Pain is better I still have swelling , but I Am fully alert and have no depression

01/19/2012 I saw my surgeon yesterday, he was pleased with my progress. I am off the meds, I can start driving again and I can use my treadmill. The only downside is a ruptured blood vessel in my right eye which in time should get better.

09/27/2012

It has been a year since the day that I was first diagnosed. I am feeling fine with only some minor complications such as my right eye needs drops now and then because my eyelid seems a little droopy, I had it checked by an ophthalmologist and the eye is fine, I also have some clicking in my jaw. I also have a weird sensation almost crunchy feeling where the plate is. I am not having any headaches, I have gone deep sea fishing several times without any sea sickness.Other then that there is no visible trace of a scar, I was blessed with a good head of hair.

Today 01/27/2013 It has been over a year since my surgery. I feel myself getting stronger and I require less naps in the afternoon. My head is still tender and I can feel my scalp rub over the plating system on my skull. Other then that I feel blessed that my aneurysm was found and I survived. I am writing this to encourage others and let them know this is not the end of the world but a new lease on life:-D

Edited by Bluescat1
Part of url missing
  • Like 1

I kept telling my self "the alternative is not an option". I actually was able to leave the hospital in two days. I have to get another angiogram in four years so I am hoping this is the end of it. Having a good Surgeon also helps, the hospital that I had my surgery in is one of two with the most advanced neuro-science operating suites in the USA and it is the regional emergency center for brain injuries.

I had to negotiate the Doctors fee because my surgeon wasn't in my Insurance network. He charged $17,000.00 more then my insurance would pay but I got it Down to $1200.00 as I am a retired telephone worker and don't have that kind of money laying around. He was still compensated very well. One of the down sides was I did not lose my appetite and ate too much comfort food so I need to run on my treadmill.

Ha Ha I have got treadmill also and I was fed through tube lol

My diet starts tomorrow again !!

My Husband knew a guy who died of an anni. so we are lucky x

Smile

WinB143

I also post on another board and I was taken back by the amount of young people with this problem. Several already have had multiple surgeries. I don't believe I have that problem as no one to the best of my knowledge ever had an anni in my family. Since I am 63 and they only found 1 I hope that is the end. I am glad you are doing better.

Edited by Bluescat1
delete extra word

Hi Bluescat1, welcome to BTG. Thanks for posting your story - it sounds as though you are doing pretty well after all you have been through. It took me 3 and half years to manage without those afternoon naps!

I think we, in the uk, are very grateful to have our treatment free, especially as treating aneurysms is so expensive.

I wish you well in your continued recovery,

Sarah

Thank you Kempse, I am involved politically in the States at a low level and I did push for single payer healthcare like you have in the UK. We have so much money involved at the high levels from drug and insurance companies that makes it almost impossible to have such a system. My insurance did however cover all of the Hospital cost, just not the surgeon.

Enough politics One thing I noticed is I didn't dream at all after my surgery and it wasn't until about a week before this past Christmas that I started again. I don't know if that is normal or not. Take care.

Welcome Bluecat1,

How lucky you are to have been taken care of before a burst! I do not have anni's and I cannot imagine what that is like for some people with them and knowing they are there. But I may be even, as I have a brain tumor next to my brain stem!!

That is a big deal about insurance in the USA. People that have not had a major medical expense ( husband had kidney cancer) do not understand it is impossible to get it unless your employer offers it. My husbands employer does not offer it for the 10 people in his company so I am having to hang on to my job just to keep it. He was denied 3 times when we tried on our own prior to me having to take our companies policy out. Along with the $8,000 out of my pay check or more a year we have a $5,000. each deductable. So you remain insurance poor. I am grateful as we racked up almost $200,000 my SAH & Stroke year as well as my husband had a heart procedure done but ......I really have no choice on leaving my job at this point which feels like it takes days off my life everyday I work.

No more ranting on that subject as I am bitter and angry that I am working so hard as I feel it REALLY is not good for my health and feel trapped by the system.

Maryb!

I am so sorry Mary, I worked for Verizon for for 36 years and retired with Healthcare. The company just changed plans and it is not as good as what we had. However it has a $1000.oo max out of pocket per year cap so that is good. Maybe you will fair better when the Affordable HC act kicks in. I will be Medicare elligable in 2 years, I don't know if that will be better or not. I wish you and your husband well.

Has anyone watched an aneurysm being clipped on Youtube? It is pretty amazing stuff. They put me in "burst suppression" where they shut your brain activity completely down, this allows the surgeon to get at the anni with little chance of seizures. I got a 6 page detailed report of the entire procedure. I wound up with 11 screws in my skull and a titanium plate.

The team was very good and they kept calling my girlfriend with updates. I was one of the first people operated on in this brand new facility, they have an ICU just for neurosurgery. I was amazed that I only required 2 days in the hospital and all they gave me for pain was Tylenol. I also had to take a steroid and anti seizure meds for a week. I defiantly have a different outlook on life.

Hi Bluescat1,

nice to 'meet' you here! Is there a blues music (which I love!!) theme to your name?

I was in a neuro ICT/HDU ward too. I can't imagine how it would be in a general ICT/HDU as there are so many neuro signs for the staff to look out for without looking out for all the signs of other illnesses too. Scary stuff. Those staff really earn their pay!!

I have to say, though, that I would not want them to be updating my girlfriend/boyfriend/parents/kids/or anyone else during the procedure :shocked: I would be shouting 'step away from the phone and concentrate on me' :lol:

Good to hear that all is going well for you now :-D

Michelle

Hi Bluescat1,

nice to 'meet' you here! Is there a blues music (which I love!!) theme to your name?

I was in a neuro ICT/HDU ward too. I can't imagine how it would be in a general ICT/HDU as there are so many neuro signs for the staff to look out for without looking out for all the signs of other illnesses too. Scary stuff. Those staff really earn their pay!!

I have to say, though, that I would not want them to be updating my girlfriend/boyfriend/parents/kids/or anyone else during the procedure :shocked: I would be shouting 'step away from the phone and concentrate on me' :lol:

Good to hear that all is going well for you now :-D

Michelle

Yes there is a Blues music theme. I have loved the blues ever since I was stationed in Germany when I was in the Air Force. There was a Scottish band called "Bonnie and the Scotts and Sodas" that played in the club on base. They played this song one night that knocked me of my feet, I asked Jimmie the guitar player what was that? he said just a blues jam and ever since then I have loved the music. I played for over 30 years and did shows with Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, The Nighthawks and many others. I jammed with Ritchie Sambora from Bon Jovi before he became famous.I still play from time to time .

Edited by Bluescat1

I was in favor of a single payer system in the US but it was not to be, big money had their way and the middle class has to take it on the chin. I am lucky to be one of the few that still have Health care through my former employer as I am now retired. In 2 more years I will be eligible for Medicare, but there are some that want to end this vital program.

Edited by Bluescat1

• 1 year later...

Normal (A2/A2): Better avoidance of errors. Normal OCD risk, normal Tardive Diskinesia risk, lower ADHD risk. Less Alcohol dependence. Higher risk of Postoperative Nausea. Lower obesity. Bupropion is effective. This DRD2 TaqIA A2/A2 version causes a normal amount of Dopamine Receptors. Learns from mistakes more easily. Men may have a higher risk of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but lower risk of ADHD. Women have higher Persistence. Higher risk of Tardive Diskinesia when taking dopamine receptor antagonists. Lower risk of alcoholism and smoking addiction. Faster recovery from traumatic brain injury. 1.6x risk of early postoperative nausea within 6 hours of surgery. Bupropion (Wellbutrin, Budeprion, Prexaton, Elontril, Aplenzin, Zyban, Voxra) works to quit smoking. Lower obesity due to incr...

• 1 month later...

Had my first MRI the other day of my shoulder,  I was a little anxious  with this hardware store inside my head. I have a torn rotator cuff and I am having surgery today to repair it. The recovery from brain surgery is nothing compared to this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...