Migraine - not once, not twice but 4 times in one day!!

Hello everyone

I’ve not posted for a while again, but I thought I would let you know what happened to me last week;

I’ve been having trouble with my right arm for about 5 weeks and finally went for an x-ray last Thursday morning. After that I headed to a local pub as my team were meeting for a colleagues leaving lunch. I got there quite early so sat and had a couple of cups of tea before the rest arrived for lunch. After lunch we headed back to work and I was having an interview at 1.30.

The interview went quite well and I answered all questions, some could have been better answers but I done the best I could on the spot.

About 4pm I was talking to a colleague and she went to show me a picture on her mobile, and at that moment a shaft of light hit off the phone and I started getting a migraine aura. This lasted for half an hour, getting bigger and bigger and then I started to feel sick. At 5pm I drove home (after the patterns had stopped) and I got into bed. I slept for an hour then woke up feeling a bit groggy but okay.

On Friday morning I woke feeling a bit groggy still but went to work. At 1.30 I had a migraine starting again and felt really sick with it too. We had a team meeting and I tried to contribute but couldn’t think what I wanted to say. I just couldn’t get my words out.

At 3pm I drove home, was violently sick and laid down in bed. I woke at 7pm still feeling rough, with sickness and bad headache. I made myself a cup of tea but couldn’t drink it, and tried to lay back down again but could not rest my head on the pillow because my head hurt too much.

At this point I started to panic a little. I telephoned my mum and asked if they could take me to A&E to get checked over.

Before I even left my flat I had to put sunglasses on as any light was too bright.

I kept my sunglasses on the whole time at A&E and all I wanted to do was curl up on the floor and sleep (but I didn’t). I was asked numerous questions by the Triage nurse, most of which I just could not answer as my brain didn’t want to work and they took me through to one of the A&E beds.

I sat there for some time with a sick bowl awaiting further assistance. As soon as they started to check me again I was violently sick again and I could not get comfortable on the bed.

My mum left about midnight and they took me through to have a ct scan and then through to a ward for the night.

I struggled to get my head comfortable on the bed but eventually got to sleep, only to be woken again for another round of questions, and then again for BP etc… and again…

They said my ct scan looked okay and would monitor me until the morning.

At 8am I was discharged, feeling a lot better than I had been, without the sickness but still some mild headache.

I had another migraine when I got home, but I went off to bed and it relented.

I haven’t had another migraine since, but have still been feeling sick on and off.

It is quite strange that this should suddenly happen quite out of the blue, but I wonder if it was the stress of preparing for an interview and trying to find out what is wrong with my arm…

It is a wonder?!

Hopefully that is it for now though. I don’t want to feel like that again, ever!

Kel x

Aw, Kel, what a time you had last week:frown: I do hope you don't get anything like that again - I would imagine it was quite a scary experience for you. Migraines are a bit of a mystery to me - I can't really comprehend what actually happens in your head to make you so sick etc. As you know I have a lot of the aura of migraine but, touch wood, never anything else - even those are a bit of a mystery to me and are annoying.

Anyway, I hope you're feeling ok now and you don't get a repeat of it.

Take care,

Sarah

Hi hun

How awful for you - it must have been very scary!!

I know that I get the aura when I've not had enough sleep and/or things have been hectic and stressful at work - being in a primary school with 378 children, this is a normal day lol. I've not actually been sick through the migraine aura though and haven't suffered with the pain that goes with it.

I think it's probably a culmination of not sleeping well and the interview etc. Hope things get better for you hun.

Hope you're feeling better this evening poor girl!!! It is scary when they seem to come up out of othe blue.

As you said though, possible stress with arm and interview may have triggered the beginning of it and then that light shaft just set it off!

How is your arm doing? Just wondered if they'd figured that out yet for you.

Get some rest girl.

Sending you lots of hugs and healing energy

xxxooo

Sorry Kelly,

I know we spoke earlier about this. I was thinking back when I was sick prior to my head exploding and I knew I was not right for months. I look back at 2011 and my photo albums show I had lots of company and trips etc. I was sometimes confused and very tired. That deep fatigue that we had or still have after SAH. I had a bolt of lightning hit me in my right eye one night that felt like a sparkler had gone off in it. May odd things but no one have ever had an answer for any of it? I do however get "Well you did not feel well before the SAH". That is what they say when I ask if this gets better. Duh?

Just try not to worry too much but if it continues seek answers. I wish I would have been more aggressive when I was writing nonsense in charts at work and my writing was falling off the lines on paper. I do however seem to have more symptoms now again but I think it is because I do more now and that is too much for my brain to process? You are a busy gal and maybe taking a step back a little for a few weeks? I thought I had done that recently to control my blood pressure which has been all over the place since 2011 as well but my sentence of the week has been “Did I know that already?”. So while I feel we get so much better in areas our brains may just be overloaded at times???

Big Hug Maryb

Thanks everyone.

I think I have been suffering stress almost without realising it.

I have found it stressful not going to the gym for the past 6 weeks, bacause of my arm pain. I still have no answer for that just yet; I called the Dr's yesterday but they had not received my x-ray through as yet. I will try again today as I need to know now.

Usually I do have a lot going on in my life and I think I have been suffering from not doing enough lately. Too much time for my brain to be thinking 'what if' is not always a good thing... thinking too much and clogging up my brain and not doing enough to clear it out! That's what I need to do, have a good mental clear-out! ;)

Take care all

Kel x

Thanks Win :biggrin:

Hi Teechur

I've not had a migraine since, but it took me all last week to actually get over the 6 I had in 3 days :shock:

I did move desk at work last week to see if that would help but it didn't seem to. It is SO BRIGHT in our office. It also caused an issue with the colleague (a temp) whom I swapped with, who apparenyly thinks I should stop going on about my migraines or work will stop listening?! He needs to be careful what he says...

I decided to swap desks again this morning before he got in, as the other desk was marginally better in some ways, so he just had to deal with it when he arrived :wink:

I have a follow-up at the hospital (which coiled me 3 yrs ago) this Weds so will discuss the migraines with them. And I have an eye test booked this Sat, to see if my sight has changed and to look into getting tinted glasses to see if that might help limit the risk of migraine too.

Kel x

I jsut wanted to say although people tell me I do a lot ( and other days NOT ONE THING!) I almost have to have some thing to do sometimes or I think I will lose my mind. IF I am not wiped out I need to keep moving or I will become depressed.

Thanks Win :biggrin:

Hi Teechur

I've not had a migraine since, but it took me all last week to actually get over the 6 I had in 3 days :shock:

I did move desk at work last week to see if that would help but it didn't seem to. It is SO BRIGHT in our office. It also caused an issue with the colleague (a temp) whom I swapped with, who apparenyly thinks I should stop going on about my migraines or work will stop listening?! He needs to be careful what he says...

I decided to swap desks again this morning before he got in, as the other desk was marginally better in some ways, so he just had to deal with it when he arrived :wink:

I have a follow-up at the hospital (which coiled me 3 yrs ago) this Weds so will discuss the migraines with them. And I have an eye test booked this Sat, to see if my sight has changed and to look into getting tinted glasses to see if that might help limit the risk of migraine too.

Kel x

Hi Kel,

We had the same problem at my work. Very bright. One of my co-workers has migraines and she asked for them to remove some of the overhead bulbs. They did and it is so much better. Not sure of that applies to you but worth a try if possible.

David

I know what you mean Mary! I think that is why I have been feeling low lately - because I haven't been doing enough of stuff I enjoy doing! Too much work and not enough play ;)

David - I have asked a few times about the lights in our office, and although they used to be able to remove bulbs they now can't do anything with the new light fittings we have (which have been in place for a year now). They are set to go lighter when it goes darker outside and they are all motion-sensored (?) too, so that when we have all gone home at the end of the day the lights turn off, so one light cannot be set different to another, apparently..

Kel x

Keep Happy Kel, Win passes Kel a catapault for the rotten lights in work.. now FIREEEEE

Seriously try Boots pills for migraine when bad other than that paracetamols help Sarah.

Keep Well Kel I feel for you as I know what my Sarah goes through she gets so scared xx

Now keep well , that's an order. xx

Love

WinB143 xx xx

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried wearing sunglasses indoors? I do that all the time at work and sometimes I get teased, but I don't care. The fluorescent lights KILL my head. I do have a dimmer, but even with them dimmed as low as they go, if my head is hurting it kills me.

As for your cow-orker how dare he tell you to stop talking about it! I know that we may get "old" at times, but darn it you are living with a chronic condition that can change day to day. I have headaches every day, usually ALL day, with 3 or more "bad" headaches per week. Anyone who doesn't like it is going to get a kick right be...well. Ahem.

Be a lady, Tory.

OH and I'll add that I have found ice helps my head a LOT! I have this ice cap I wear, and right now (I'm at work but due to snow I have no kids right now and it's almost lunch time) I am leaning back on an ice pack. It really does help, although it's only temporary.

I always say that they are trying to kill me with brightness. It's kind of sad, though, because one of my favorite things to do was to stand outside, face to the sun, eyes closed and just drink in the sun. If I do that now it hurts so bad.

My friend took her son to Disneyland for the first time when he was a little guy. She convinced him to go on a ride, it would be fun! He hated it and said "I don't want to be on this fun ride any more!"

That's how I feel. I don't want to be on this fun ride any more.