angiograms - how many

Hi. I know everyone is different but i was just wondering about angiograms do you always have more than one after an sah or does that depend on the individual too?

I had one whike still in hospital, I found it horrendous like they where stabbing my head and particularly my right eye with small firey daggers and im hoping not to go through it again :lol:

The one i had shoeed the clipping was ok and i didnt have anything else wrong so do you think thats me finished? I got out hospital 2 wks ago and have no appointments set up- strange how they just turf you out after sunch a harrowing operation :crazy:

Hope everyone is feeling a little better today

Thanks Lesley

I think if you have been clipped they usually stay put & you're not usually called for angio's again. I had one when I arrived at the hospital & was discharged at my 3 month review(with no further scans needed) . Unless you are having problems I doubt an angio would be the first scan they would use, more likely an MRI I would think. Not being medically qualified I couldn't be 100% sure but personally I only had the one.

With coiling there is a possibility of them settling or compacting so that's why coiled people have reviews & angios every six months or so.

Bagpuss thank you that makes me feel better- i know your not 100% sure but still makes me feel better knowing someone has only had the one angiogram :-D. Dont get me wrong if i needed another one then so be it- better to have 5 mins pain to make sure your ok i suppose - but i would rather not go through it again if possible

Thanjs lesley

Lesley I was given the choice of clipping or coiling (my anni didn't rupture) & chose clipping because then I wouldn't have to have 6 monthly angios. Mine wasn't painful but I did bleed from the site of entry for a long time & I had a huge bruise afterwards. I didn't want to go through that every 6 months so although clipping was a more invasive solution I chose it.

I have odd veins, they struggle to get lines in & blood out so my experience is probably specific to me.

Hi,

I had three angiograms. 1st when I got to the hospital. 2nd eight days later to double check to make sure I did not have an aneurysm (my bleed came from an unknown source) and just had my 3rd after six weeks for the all clear. I was out for my 1st and 3rd. Remember bits and pieces of the 2nd and did not like that.

I am sure it all depends on the doctor, hospital, and your individual need.

i

I only had one, I have no aneurysm. I had a NASAH so I think maybe that is the difference in some cases.

I think this December I will have my last MRI and it is only to check the tumor in my head. That will be my 2 1/2 year check up on that thing.

Maryb

I think bagpuss may be right, cerebral angiograms are the gold standard check post coiling. That said if they are happy with you on the first check then they can opt to move to MRI scans yearly rather than more angio. I'm due my latest MrI check anytime after I had my 2nd angio last Sept.

I was clipped. Didn't have any problems post surgery - a text book SAH I was told. My surgeon said I could come back in 5 years for an angiogram if I wanted to. He said some people want to do it for peace of mind, but that it rarely shows anything. I think I'll pass.

I was clipped. Didn't have any problems post surgery - a text book SAH I was told. My surgeon said I could come back in 5 years for an angiogram if I wanted to. He said some people want to do it for peace of mind, but that it rarely shows anything. I think I'll pass.

Did you find it painful too? Ive not been given any info about follow ups or anything since leaving hospital but fingers crossed they are happy with first angiogram so wont be needing another :-)

Hi Erin,

If I had to personally weigh up the stroke risk of having another angio, up against the potential damage of having another bleed and another stroke caused by this, I would take the angio any day in order to prevent this from happening again. I've had two bleeds and the second one was much worse.

I would probably be extremely worried when having the angio, but I would think that the medics would have my best interests at heart, as they wouldn't perform this procedure if they didn't feel it was necessary.

Just to add for anybody else looking at this thread, that if you're worried/panicky about this procedure, discuss having some sedation with your Consultant. I did and received it. It was only light sedation, but it helped to take the edge off the anxiety before and during the procedure. xx

• Like 1

I did panick when they said possibility of stroke- i actually starting laughing and said if yoiu l:et me have a stroke after surviving my bleed I'll hunt you down hahahaha obviously i was nervous and trying to joke about the situation but i was shaking within it was awful- i suppose if they thought it was best for me to have another then i would but heres hoping I'm finished with them

• 2 weeks later...

I found it utterly bizzare as well Lesley, a major operation on your brain and then you leave with no follow-up and no one to ask any questions to, apart from my GP who's been absolutely brilliant, but he's not a neurosurgeon.

This site has been a godsend as I knew absolutely no one this had happened to. Didn't even know the difference between clipping and coiling or which I'd had until I joined this site!! It made me feel so much better to read info that it wasn't just me who was feeling tierd, ratty, headachey, emotional - we've all felt like this at some time or another. I'm five months in and it does get better, the good days start to outweigh the bad ones.

Hope you start to feel abit better soon Lesley.

• Like 1

I had 2. Once was worth it. The second I would not do again if I had been asked or had read up on such matters as I had not be diagnosed with an aneurysm. The book is still out on this, but where I was, the standard of care is that you have 2 if the first one finds no aneurysm. I hated them too. If I had had an aneurysm, that would mean an entirely different story. I'd get it monitored as recommended. I am no more likely than the general population to have another SAH, so it might be different in my case.

My suggestion is to read the latest scientific stats that go with your case and followup treatments. What is necessary? What is done, but usually doesn't lead to anything? You are your bet teacher. Then call your doc and schedule what is right for you regarding your personal risk factors and feelings. It's better to be safe than fearful and sorry.

~Kris