I will get my stamina back someday, right?

Hi friends,

I've had a heck of a time with fatigue lately after my second surgery(cranioplasty), and I just wanted to make sure, ...I will get my stamina back someday? Correct? I will be able to go on a couple mile hike without feeling so tired, like I used to? Things just move so slowly that I get worried I'll never get back to the old me sometimes. It has been 5 months so maybe that is still early in the recovery phase?thanks ahead of time!

Mandie

Hi Mandie

Physical stamina will come back before mental stamina. I can run as far as I could before my NASAH, I built it up gradually. You need to take your time but it will come back. I wish my mental stamina was better but hey ho I'm here!

Clare xx

I feel bad just walking into supermarket café, and hubby goes what do you want and I'm all breathless.

He goes hurry up, I look at him and he says ok take your time  lol

I was told I'd never walk again but we have to prove them wrong xxx

So keep going and never give up

Good  luck

Win  xx xx

• Like 2

Hi Mandie,

Like you (and I suspect most folks on here), I had major fatigue after my SAH. I could not believe how tired I felt and how all-consuming it would be - almost as if someone had flicked my 'Off' switch! I used to fret about going to unfamiliar places as I knew that if the fatigue hit me I would need to sit down more or less straight away.  

The other thing which I can laugh about now, was that my usual calm and reasonable demeanour would be replaced by an irritable, tetchy and thoroughly bad tempered person. We recently had my little grandson to stay and after a busy day, took him into a shop to quickly grab some food on the way home - poor mite was fine one minute and the next, went into meltdown as he was so tired and I totally understood how he felt! At the age of 55 I too was having the occasional 'toddler tantrum'.

Although gradually the fatigue was improving,I had more or less accepted that it would be a part of my life for a long time, maybe forever. However I have some good news! We were on holiday a few weeks ago and about halfway through I realised that I hadn't needed my usual midday nap. I put it down to the effect of the holiday but when we returned home and I went back to my normal routine, I found that I could get through the day without resting and felt fine. It's now been about a month since I've had experienced that dreadful feeling of fatigue. I still get tired but it's what I would call 'normal tired'. I really can't believe how suddenly it's gone!

By the way, I had my SAH in Feb this year & I had assumed any progress at this stage would be very gradual but it just shows that after 7 months it's still possible to have a big improvement. As Win says above, 'never give up'. So give your body time to recover as it's still early days for you, especially if this was your second operation. Look after yourself and I'm sure that you will enjoy those long hikes again before too long.

Good luck,

Jane x

• Like 2

Mandie. Physical stamina was a big thing for me and really bugged me if I am honest. I went from high speed to less than snail like and like you had two surgeries in quick succession. It felt like I would never get my stamina back.

Here I sit three years on and it's very different picture and whilst i can't do what I did how I used to do it I have new and improved stamina levels but I just need to make allowances for myself.

As an example I have two kids who are now aged 12 and 9 and on our recent holiday we walked everyday for quite a few miles with the dogs. My allowance was I took my walking stick which I needed for standing and balance when I was discharged but now walk without so that I could stop and rest if needed as my balance can still surprise me. I also then added back in my little time out rest in the afternoon. That way grumpy mum didn't show up from too much fatigue....well not that much anyway.

The key is too build up very steadily and if you get the funny head feelings then it's time to stop and try again another day. Some things I used to enjoy I can't, so yoga with inverted moves are a no these days but I exercise every morning with light hand weights for a gentle cardio work out but done at my pace. Kids giggle at my efforts but it wasn't long ago that I couldn't lift anything, I even practice balances although still topple onto bed from time to time ;) keep hope and you'll be hiking again mandie

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I originally thought that the return of stamina would be a switch.  It wasn't.  It was a process.  Sometimes I was physically fatigued and other times I was mentally fatigued, and then still other times I was both and not sleepy.  It lifted in stages and it took way longer than I personally wanted it to take.

I was ready for it to be just gone and it wasn't and it became really hard to deal with it sometimes.  Hang in there and know that it is totally OK to check out and lay flat or jell out during the day if needed.  Walk and then rest.  Rest and then go out.  Find what works for you and always reevaluate your strategies.

~Kris

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I originally thought that the return of stamina would be a switch.  It wasn't.  It was a process.  Sometimes I was physically fatigued and other times I was mentally fatigued, and then still other times I was both and not sleepy.  It lifted in stages and it took way longer than I personally wanted it to take.

~Kris

This was so me.  I remember going to doctor appointments, and being completely trashed the next day - emotionally and physically.  Over the years it has gotten better, and I now give my self permission, and plan to let it be what it is.  

Susan :)