Coming back

Hi,

Jim asked me to ask a few questions for him, so here goes.....

Do you remember what you were doing when the SAH occured? Did you feel a pop in the back of your head?

Did any of you have a drain that made the blood disolve?

How long were you in the hospital?

How long do the headaches last?

We both know that everyone is different but we would like to hear your experiences to see if anyone has gone or is going through the same issues that Jim is having.

Thanks and take care,

Cal

XXX

Hi Cal

Do you remember what you were doing when the SAH occured? Did you feel a pop in the back of your head?
Yes, I was having a pee! No pop, just agonising pain at the front of my head.
Don't quite know what you mean by that, but I had a ventricular drain to relieve intracranial pressure. I can actually see it on my angiogram pictures.
15 days
That can vary so much, but my 24/7 headaches lasted about 7 to 8 weeks.

Hope Jim is doing OK

Regards

Keith

Hi Cal

Do you remember what you were doing when the SAH occured?

Yes I do, I had just finished making love - how embarassing :oops:

Did you feel a pop in the back of your head?

Yes I did, the sort of feeling that is almost a sound #

Nope but was on Nimopodine for three weeks to stop vasospasm

I was admitted in the early hours of the Friday morning and released the following Thursday lunch time. Re admitted a week later with analgesic headache.

17 months on and I still get them only not as bad - it is an individual thing but plenty of rest and fluid will help. The initial headaches that were constant lasted for about 3 months.

Hope this helps and give my best wishes to Jim.

Sami xxx

I had a stressful day at work and i was sitting watching tv. Pop on the side of the head.

No

I was in hospital for 15 days and the headaches can last for hours/days.

I do have more headaches when i eat chocolate or drink less than 3 litres fluids.

Please tell Jim to relax as much as he can, it does help.

Yes I had two bleeds within a two days of each other First was tying my shoelace, second two days later getting off the sofa. No pop as such just a thunderclap headache.

No, just Nimopodine for the three weeks - every 4 hours day and night.

15 days

12 months down the line I still have a near constant headache of varying intensity depending on how hard I've pushed myself. You've got to learn to listen to what your brain is telling you and slow down rest accordingly.

I was clipped so have a scar running up from in front of my ear to my forehead -a little pain from that, especially when there is a cold snap.

Hi Cal,

When I had the sentinel/warning bleed, I was working at home on the PC. With this bleed, I'd had an extremely bad cold, so we thought that it was sinus type pain at first, which went on for just over a week, I think. I'm not sure whether I felt a pop, but the pressure in my ears changed.

No, I didn't have a drain.......but when the blood was draining down the spinal column, I was having horrific back and leg pain.

2 weeks

This seems to be an individual thing ...... the first 3 months for me were the worse and then I started to get longer periods between the bouts ..... the headaches would last for days, rather than hours. From what I've read, people that have had a SAH are often prone to experiencing more headaches than they used to. The headaches do improve with time, but I still get periods when the bad head can last for days, but the pain isn't as intense as it was in the early days.

Hi,

I was typing on the computer when I went really hot, started to feel dizzy and then started being sick but no didn't feel a pop or anything like that- severe headache then came on.

I had nimodipine for 5 weeks and aspirin for 4 months.

3 weeks

When I came out of hospital, I had headaches 24/7, then they strted to slow down after a few months. About a year on though I am getting them most of the time and quite severe. I am ungoing scans and consultant now to find out what is happening.

My best piece of advice is to not get too stressed and try and relax as much as you can, that will help with the recovery process. Everybody is individual and I wish Jim a good recovery.

Take care

Laura

xx

Cal --

I was on an exercise bike at the gym; I suddenly felt the back of my head and neck go agonizingly stiff, with pain on each side of my head. It abated somewhat, and I managed to walk home and put myself to bed. Then first one, then the other side of my head "exploded" in pain. It felt like I had been shot and was the most painful thing I have ever experienced, up to an including delivering a 9 lb baby. The second one that hit, I passed out. When Robert got home that evening, someone (not the conscious me) told him "I had a headache at the gym and am resting". It was not until early the next morning, when he found me wandering around, hallucinating and confused, that he realised I was seriously ill.

Like most of the other people on the site, I had nimodipine for 5 weeks.

10 days

14 months later, I still get the odd headache -- particularly if under stress. This time of year, because I get sinus, is worse than in the summer. Also still suffer from periods of profound tiredness. But overall, am 100% better than this time last year!!

Joanxx

No I don’t remember what I was doing I'd just come home from work, but did feel really, really tired & extreamly cold and I didn’t feel it pop in my head as far as I know anyway.

I dont know but I had a gravity feed drip, and now I have a drain in my brain (if you pardon the pun)

From Nov 1st – 3rd Dec, then from there I went to a Rehab hospital till end of January then I was back in, in the Febuary for around 3 weeks.

I guess you could say I’ve been lucky I haven’t had headaches all that much that you could say but my head dose react to the weather….

give my regards to Jim

Take care

Louise.xxx

Hi Jim and Cal

When I had my first SAH i was having a cigarette and as I went to sit on the settee , I collapsed- remember that last fag like yesterday!

Not sure about the drain I was out of it for about a week and in hospital just over 3 weeks.

The Second SAH was in the early hours of new years day, we had been out for the evening and staying in hotel when I collapsed , again.

No drain and in Hospital for 2 weeks

S

Had a wrapping operation in August, no drain and this was elective surgery. In for 10 days

On the question of headaches, sorry to say I always have a headache, but none of my symptoms were typical, no raging headache prior to SAH. I take sedatives and have since first SAH to help with headaches , so that when I wake I feel totally relaxed and not tense.

Hope that helps

Janex

• 1 month later...

Hi Cal

on the loo of all places and it was definitely like a pop in the back of my head and I could feel liquid rushing down the inside of my head and I remember thinking "This is serious" and then I must have passed out

no, but I was on Nimopdine (or some name similar) tablets for about 3 weeks after my SAH to help stop vasospasm though I did have a v/spasm

19 days

It's really strange but it's been 3 months since my SAH and I've not had any headaches at all since I came out of hospital. I know this isn't normal but I think it depends where the haemorrhage takes place. I think my aneurysm burst very near my right ear so I have loud sounds in my right ear instead, almost as if I am standing beside a plane which is about to take off.

with very best wishes

Anne

Hi Jim and Cal.

First SAH 6 weeks before I had text book symptoms. Explosion in the back of my head. Bizzare sensation poured over the top of my head down my neck. I neck became very stiff.

I had just got up to wash the dishes. (was only hospitalised for a night)

I was running (late for a meeting)

Something popped in my neck. again my neck became very stiff.

I had a drain on top of my head. Small bubble is still there (Ommaya Reseviour) (I think)

I was in hospital for 3weeks approx.

I had headaches for the entire year which reappeared as soon as the last dose of medication wore off. Have now discovered I was having rebound headache. Have weaned off the painkillers since Oct/Nov and now only have headaches/neckache if I'm extremely tired or a bit anxious!

Take Care

Aine x