Can I work full time again? Do I want to? SHould I?

Hi all.

I am a newly coiled (SEVENTEEN COILS!!) unruptured aneurysm with another lurking untreated. I have been back at work for 7 weeks, gradually increasing my hours following the op in November. I have never in my life felt so tired and jaded. My weekends are spent sleeping, crying, grumpy and not feeling the benefits of any rest I get. My nights are filled with huge exhausting dreams and the feeling of pressure and sheer effort required just to function is causing me to make mistakes and go up lots of what I call 'verbal cul-de-sacs' both at work and at home.

I gained a stone almost immediately after the op and although I gave up smoking, I am ashamed to say that to improve my temperament I am now smoking a little again. It does help me get through the day but won't help my long term prognosis of course.

I want some answers - I feel it's probably time to listen to my head and body and say it's going to be better for me to be part time at work or to give up completely. I manage a cancer helpline and national cancer charity and it takes an awful lot out of me. I know that life is too short to waste and I find it hard now to give work my full care and attention - I am too busy holding myself together. The option of part time might be available to me but I live alone and have a mortgage!!! How do I get round that one financially? I don't strictly need mobility help or direct care so I can't see me getting DLA which might have helped, but I do need to care for myself . The alternative is trying to get pensioned off at work but I will still have my mortgage to pay. I am 53.

Has anyone any advice?

Hi Quokkagirl

Its a difficult decision that you nhave to make but it sounds like you already realise that full time working is not working out. Its very early days for you yet so no wonder you're finding it so difficult.

Depending on what type of insurance you have on your mortgage some will pay for upto two years if you are off sick but if you have a critical illness cover you should be able to claim on that as it is classed a critical illness.

Hope it helps if not I know Laura and Stephen have both made claims on their insurance so they should be able to help you more also there is an article on the SAH MBs covering insurance claims kindly put their by Chris.H

I know what you mean about the smoking I still have a few a day as well certainly helps with the grouches. The weight gains seems to be a common problem as well I think the part of the brain that works the metabolism has disappeared my excuse anyway.

Let us know how you get on and hope you manage to sort out your present problems.

Janet x

Hi Quokkagirl,

Welcome it sounds like you are in exactly the same position as me. I returned to work after my SAH rthen after a few months running round as a primary school teacher and not listening to my body I had 5 months on the sick to recuperate. I went back 4 weeks ago and have been signed off again. My consultant/ doctor have now advised me to come out of teaching but unfortunately I can't afford pt as still paying student loans etc.

Janet is correct, I have just had a successful claim from my insurance company on my critcal illness cover and I have been to the bank to pay off my mortgage in full. If you want to private message me about any insurances you have that you are not sure about I will gladfully help. I've still got one other claim in so don't know if that will pay out yet.

It sounds silly but I have so many student loans etc that I will still struggle each month but obviously that will help. I will try and be as much help as I can so feel free to get in touch.

Take care

Laura

xx

Hi there welcome to BTG. Well I was kinda working fulltime b4 minewent howewver I packed one job in and stayed with the other. I would do whatever you feel comfortable with. Jess.xxx

Hi there

Warm welcome to the site....

Wow!! seventeen & your back to work already ,....but the job do is invauable......

Getting over this takes a lot of time but being tired, jaded.sleeping, crying, & feeling grumpy is perhaps your body saying hey!

Sending hugs take care

Louise.xx

Hi Quokkagirl,

A warm welcome to you :) If there is something I have learnt from everyone here on this site, is not to rush things, listen to your body and look after yourself. I am still in early stages and could not go back to work yet, even though I find it really frustrating, but realise now that my health comes first and that is the most important thing :D

Take care and listen to your body, you will know what to do.

Love Tinaxx

Hi Quokkagirl

Welcome to the site and the family.

All I'm going to say is what everyone else has - listen to your body and don't rush your recovery, it'll set you back even more. I had to aneurysms in what they call the 'clover leaf' ie together with one stem - one ruptured and the other didn't but they coiled both at the same time and I have 9 coils.

I went back to work 3 weeks after but only due to anxiety about being alone - my husband and I run our own company so I was lucky enough to have a bed in my office that I slept on regularly - I'm 20 months in and got rid of my bed last October. I still have the occasional doze on the sofa when I get home from work now.

Take it easy, look after yourself and listen to your body.

This is a wonderful site, with fantastic people and excellent advice.

Hope to hear more from you.

TTFN

Sami xxx

Hi Quokkagirl

I had my SAH in Nov and am planning to start back at work on a very reduced hours basis in a couple of weeks tho I'm not sure I'm ready but time will tell. So I'm not the best person to give advice. Do you have a helpful GP? Perhaps if you slept better it might help. Could your GP refer you to an Occupational Therapist for you to discuss the job situation with?

My job had a lot of interaction with people - on the phone and in person and I'm going back to duties which are more solitary as I think I would find constant interaction very fatiguing. Could you do a slightly different job within your organisation and work a bit from home?

I think it's early days for you (that's what everyone keeps telling me!) so perhaps you could try going back to part-time for a while and seeing how it goes for the next six months and review it after that. It seems to be with SAH that no one knows how much anyone will improve or how quickly so you can only really plan on a more short term basis.

Sorry I've not been more help but hope it goes well.

Anne x

Guest Matthew

I went back to work two months after the SAH, but I didn't have an aneurysm so could probably go back earlier. I did half days for a couple of months, then started building up by 2 hours a month on top. I've started full time again in April just gone.

If it's any help, I found that working on one thing at a time staved off the tiredness. File A then file B and so on. Multi-tasking was a definite no-no. And if you are tired, well, go home and sleep.

I've had a pretty mild version of an SAH, and I can tell you that there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. Your recovery will take time, but if you rush at it then you could set yourself back. It's a bit like two steps forward, one step back.

Matthew.

Thank you all so much. Not sure I have the answer still but I'm getting there with your help. It's good to hear that I am at least normal. No insurances of that nature on the mortgage - I stretched to get one and it's as much as I can do to pay it on full time wages (result of a recent divorce).

You are all doing so well - well done. Just had my six month follow-up angio yesterday. I found it fascinating to watch the procedure and all seems stable and the new anni isn't growing thank god.

I think I am coming to the conclusion that I am going to have to listen to my body not my brain and try to get all the help I can from benefits. I'm holding off at the moment until I am forced to make a decision. I will let you know whether I jump or whether I am pushed, lol.

Keep well all of you and thanks again. Will keep you posted and if anyone wants to talk, well, I'm better at helping others than helping myself.

Much love

Quokkagirl.

Hi Quokkagirl

Of course your normal, and yes listen to your body thats what its all about, good news about your angio...

On the benifit front their a nightmare to fill in but well worth it, you're intitled to it, & if they happen to say No then you just appeal....... :roll:

Take care

Hugs

Louise.x