is it possible to improve fatigue with exercise?

I'm 8 months post SAH and though I'm back at work, I find I get so tired. My bones ache and I feel slightly nauseous with tiredness. I've only ever had it pre-SAH when maybe I've been up all night or something extreme like that.

Someone suggested that exercise might help. I was wondering if anyone has tried this. I've never been one for exercising and now I'm worried that I might do myself harm by overexerting myself.

Has anyone any tips on combating fatigue with exercise?

Anne xxx

Hi Anne

I am at the same stage as you, 8 months on.

I was determined a month or so ago that I could fight the fatigue with exercise but I was not successful. I went back to the gym,walked and walked, swam and swam, through the stage when I was exhausted but it did not work for me, I just got more fatigued and ended up back in bed for a few days! That may just be me, I wish you more luck. I now just swim a couiple of times a week and take it much easier and I seem fine but still tire easily especially if I have to concentrate on anything.

Ann

Hi Anne

I am also 8 months on, and get very tired sometimes, try to walk, but my balance and confidence hinders me and feel a pain asking someone to walk with me.. Not sure, think it just comes back with time...your energy that is, sorry not much help. You have done well getting back to work....i am not there yet...

Take care

Love Tinaxx

Hi Anne,

Probably gentle exercise, such as walking etc will help with your overall fitness/stamina and improve things generally, but wouldn't have thought that it will get rid of the fatigue .... I may be wrong....but from what I've been told, is that the fatigue is common after a brain injury, but with time it does improve. The fatigue is something that I mentioned to the Doc this morning and that it still bugs me more than I would like, but he just shrugged, as it's unfortunately something that we don't have much control over .... I suppose it's just learning to pace ourselves to the way we are at this moment in time and doing everything that we can, to help ourselves. I'm permanently on iron tabs now, as I was a lot worse in the fatigue stakes, then I am now and the Doc gave me a blood test and found that I was anaemic....that was quite a few months ago....I would say to anybody, that if the fatigue or anything else seems to be a problem, then speak to your GP, as there may be other things that are hindering you, that could be fixed .....we tend to put everything down to the aftermath of the SAH, which to a degree it is and can affect many things in our body ..... Sometimes, the thyroid can be affected after a SAH, which could enhance the tiredness etc, but simple blood tests can rule out many things....

Hi Anne

I found exercise did help I joined a Gymophobics gym that uses special weight adjusted machines and the whole circuit only takes 30 minutes. I loved going and used to go 3 to 4 times a week from 6 1/2 months post SAH until November last year.

I have found it difficult going since then as that was when I increased my hours upto 30 at work and I was just too tired when I finished work to go.

I recently reduced my hours and will be going back to the gym after next week. I think small amounts of exercise can be beneficial but always check with your G.P first to make sure it is safe to do so.

Janet x

Guest yasmin

Anne post SAH I used to go to the gym 3 times a week and do at least 3 40 min spin classes, now 18months on I can only manage 30mins on my bike which hubby got me for my birthday but I'm not complaining I enjoy it I have my bike infront of the tv makes it easier and the time flys :D

I did walk all the time when I came out of hospital though but that was because I could'nt drive, I still find exercise tough and whatever you do you just can't run away from the dreaded fatigue it just comes over you and you have no control.

Mine is not as often as it was and I get it for a few weeks then it goes and reappears out of the blue. I just rest and have learned to leave things till the next day as my health is more important.

My friend Beryl had her SAH 25 years ago and sometimes she is still bothered with fatigue but she has just learnt to adjust her day around it, and thats what we must all do :D

Take care

Yasmin

x