Husband SAH and Clotz

Hello, it's been since February 25th since my husband's SAH. The blood has subsided from his brain, as of the last CT scan, the P.E. in his right lung is clearing up, but in March 16th he was diagnosed with a blood clot "DVT" in his right leg.

His right leg, and foot has swollen twice the size of His left, and when he saw the haemotololgist last week, he told my husband that the blood clot runs the length of his leg. He is now on blood thinners, and is wearing a full length compression stocking. The doctors explained to him that he was in a catch 22 position with his SAH, blood clots, and blood thinners.

At first they didn't want to put him on thinners when he had the pulmonary embolism, but when the blood subsided on his brain, they decided to do it. I have to watch him closely because they said if he had another bleed, it would not be good.  He also gets dizzy, and has a little double vision from time, to time, and I noticed on a few posts here, that others have experienced dizziness, and vision issues after having a SAH.

I too thought it might be anxiety, as some have thought here too. My husband was fortunate enough not to have had an anuerism, but they never found the cause of the bleed.

I never even though about the dizziness being caused by the SAH. His headache pain level fluctuates from a 1/2 to a 2 now on a scale of 1 to 10. He is short winded, and very weak. I guess understandable after all he has gone through.

It's just him and myself at home, so reading posts here is a good way to help me understand things, and I pass it along to my husband. Thanks for listening. Hope there are not many typos. 

Hello Darcy, sounds like your husband has had a very tough time, it is very early days in his recovery.  I guess the complication of the DVT is an added scare too.

I had an aneurysm SAH with coiling unlike your husband and not too many complications.  In the first few months after the bleed I had headaches and a lot of weird sensations.

I also suffered terrible insomnia even though I was exhausted.  This I felt contributed to headaches and feeling light headed.

I am aware that other members have had problems with sight and dizziness so may be able to offer advice on what helped them.

I do hope you are looking after you too as it very traumatic for our families who have to bear the brunt of caring together with the worry about the loved one.

Your husbands recovery maybe slow but I am sure your support will be a great help.  I do wish you both well and sure others on the site will share their stories which may help.

Regards

Sharon x

Hello Darcy ....  the past two months have certainly been challenging for you and your husband.  In an instant your lives have been changed and your focus has been 100% on willing your husband to recover while trying to get an understanding of what recovery from a NASAH entails.

Even in this short time you have no doubt built up a knowledge that you never expected to have.

You mentioned that you just have each other.  How are you coping ?  I am glad that you find reading the experiences of our members a big aid in your understanding.  Within the site there are so many unique journeys ... you are not alone.

Others have mentioned in your other thread that it is so early in your husband`s recovery.  It is so important that he rests well and does not push himself too hard. Although the exact site of the bleed was not identified, his brain has been damaged and needs time to readjust and to some extent recover.

I am particularly interested in his DVT.  What is the latest assessment you have had?

My wife had a DVT in her leg leg a few weeks prior to her SAH . She was given blood thinners, and when she was transferred to ITU to treat her SAH, the first thing they did was insert a filter in her groin to prevent the clot moving to her lungs or heart. I tell you this because we were advised that the filter had to be removed within six weeks or there would be a risk that it would become attached to the artery...and removal would not be possible.

The result ... blood thinners for life.  Unfortunately even at six weeks they could not remove my wife`s filter. (I hasten to add that her SAH was in no way connected to the blood thinners... her SAH was caused by a blood vessel in her brain being weakened by a disease now known as GPA - Vasculitis)

Please check with your medics and consultants if you are in any doubt about the filter issue.

Take care and keep strong. 

Subs

On 4/13/2018 at 17:37, Sharlua said:

Hello Darcy, sounds like your husband has had a very tough time, it is very early days in his recovery.  I guess the complication of the DVT is an added scare too.

I had an aneurysm SAH with coiling unlike your husband and not too many complications.  In the first few months after the bleed I had headaches and a lot of weird sensations.

I also suffered terrible insomnia even though I was exhausted.  This I felt contributed to headaches and feeling light headed.

I am aware that other members have had problems with sight and dizziness so may be able to offer advice on what helped them.

I do hope you are looking after you too as it very traumatic for our families who have to bear the brunt of caring together with the worry about the loved one.

Your husbands recovery maybe slow but I am sure your support will be a great help.  I do wish you both well and sure others on the site will share their stories which may help.

Regards

Sharon x

Thank you for your input. Your much appreciated.

On 13/04/2018 at 23:43, subzero said:

Hello Darcy ....  the past two months have certainly been challenging for you and your husband.  In an instant your lives have been changed and your focus has been 100% on willing your husband to recover while trying to get an understanding of what recovery from a NASAH entails.

Even in this short time you have no doubt built up a knowledge that you never expected to have.

You mentioned that you just have each other.  How are you coping ?  I am glad that you find reading the experiences of our members a big aid in your understanding.  Within the site there are so many unique journeys ... you are not alone.

Others have mentioned in your other thread that it is so early in your husband`s recovery.  It is so important that he rests well and does not push himself too hard. Although the exact site of the bleed was not identified, his brain has been damaged and needs time to readjust and to some extent recover.

I am particularly interested in his DVT.  What is the latest assessment you have had?

My wife had a DVT in her leg leg a few weeks prior to her SAH . She was given blood thinners, and when she was transferred to ITU to treat her SAH, the first thing they did was insert a filter in her groin to prevent the clot moving to her lungs or heart. I tell you this because we were advised that the filter had to be removed within six weeks or there would be a risk that it would become attached to the artery...and removal would not be possible.

The result ... blood thinners for life.  Unfortunately even at six weeks they could not remove my wife`s filter. (I hasten to add that her SAH was in no way connected to the blood thinners... her SAH was caused by a blood vessel in her brain being weakened by a disease now known as GPA - Vasculitis)

Please check with your medics and consultants if you are in any doubt about the filter issue.

Take care and keep strong. 

Subs

Hello, im sorry i took so long to reply. My husbands DVT may have been caused by not being mobile for 9 days while in the hospital.

A hemotololgist is currently testing his blood to check for clotting factors in his blood, to see if that could be the cause as well. He has always healed very quickly, and if he ever got cut, it would stop bleeding pretty quickly.

I am hoping they do not find a clotting factor in his blood, so he does not have to take blood thinners from this point forward. It's scary.

A few days ago, one of our cats was laying by one of his feet (not the one with the clot) and when he jumped off the end of the recliner, he accidently scratched my husband's foot. Almost as soon as he was scratched my husband's blood clotted from the scratches, even though he is now on blood thinners.

The clot in his leg has dissipated a lot, because most of the swelling in his leg, and foot have gone down, but he has been up on his feet some today, so I will see how the swelling is really doing, from activity.

He gets winded, and tired very easy, but he is no longer coughing up blood. I am concerned about him being so short of breath. It could just be from lack of moving around for nearly 2 months.

He has 5 weeks left on his FMLA, which is family medical leave act, here in the USA, until he will need to return to work, or he could lose his job. I just threw that in there.

Anyway, his color is back, he is looking a lot better, but he still worries me, because he says his headache pain goes up to about a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 here over the past 2 days, and he told me today his neck was hurting a bit.

I try to stress the point, that if the pain in his head worsens, or any new symptoms arise, he must let me know, so we can call his doctor.  How do we cope? I just cope by knowing that for the most part, if it needs to get done, I do it.

We have had some help from family with a few outside chores, but I have the rest on me. I am trying to take care of myself.  I know I need to. About the filter. The doctors told him anywhere from 3 to 6 months, it will need to be removed. That's the next thing. He will need to be off blood thinners before that can happen. I never knew it was possible for the filter to grown into an artery. They never told us that. I'll not share that with my husband. He is already worried about having it removed. Thank you for your response. Your appreciated. 

Hi Darcy

I guess you both must be worried but it does sound like he is making some progress.

I was off for six months and returned with a phased return for a month.  It was really hard as I was in a stressful job in Social care with high responsibility.  

I appreciate that husband will feel pressure from this as that is not a long time, I am not sure if financially he has to return I certainly had to.  

Can he negotiate reduced hours for a few weeks or take holiday.  I know from my son who lives in America that he does not get as much holiday/leave entitlement. 

My headaches were bad in the first months and worsened initially when back to work, hopefully they will ease.  He needs to keep hydrated as this is really helpful.

It is very scary having surgery but I am sure this will be  okay but make sure you check everything out with the medics.

Dont be afraid to ask family for more help,

I have caring responsibilities as my mum who lives with us has Alzheimer’s so it was hard having this too.

Let us know how you both get on 

Sharon x

My husbands job is physical labor, all day. We are concerned that they may place him at another location since being off work so long. FMLA only allows 12 weeks and then they can let you go if they wish to. Reduced hours would be nice but financially, it would not work. My hubby is very feustrated today because he wants to mow on the riding mower, but a family member came to do it. We are thankful, but he is just restless, and does not have the ability to do the mowing yet. Walking around got him exhausted earlier. I know frustrarion is part of the SAH. I'll keep everyone posted. 

Hey Darcy,

So not quite two months yet since the SAH.  He will steadily get better.  I was back at work within three months but mostly was doing desk work and did not have complications from the bleed.  And I wont lie; fatigue was an issue for a long time. Just keep his dr apprised of his recovery status and try not to stress.

I'm guessing if you're mowing you are down south somewhere.  Learn to use the mower, it's great relaxation! Seriously, I know it's hard but he shouldn't stress about the grass.  Priorities, you know.  The main thing is getting better.

Prayers for you, Colleen

Darcy,

I m sorry to hear. You should ask his primary care and neuro if he can work or should go on disability. They can fill out the forms. It has to be renewed every year. I know in the US sometimes it involves a judge. One patient of mine got lucky since the judge was sympathetic. ( she has rheumatoid arthritis). 

I m sure one can always go back to work after one is better. Sometimes they want you to see a disability doctor or psychiatrist.

He should not stress and not do the riding mower if he is on the blood thinner unless it is ok with the doc. Take one day at a time.

Goodluck to you both.

Some patients here have disability lawyers working for them but I don’t think it s needed if your docs can get the needed paperwork done.

Hi, 

Your  husband's brain is his engine and his engine needs to repair itself. I am five years in now and took me every bit of two years to feel decent again.  Not 100%.  The first year is hard because of pain, fear, fatigue, and just simply trying to heal.  Mine was non aneursymal too but it's still blood on the brain and the brain does not like that!   

Dizziness is my life, especially when tired.  That will get better.   I disliked crowds in the beginning because of all the stimulation.  Think of a babies brain and how they get crankie when there is too much going on and they can't process it all.  Same as a hurt brain.  

Give it time.  He will bounce back but most likely slowly.

iola

Yes it will be slow. I am amazed at how well he IS doing after reading what all could have been. The scary thing is, he's supposed to go back to a manual labor job in 4 weeks, if not, he will most likely lose his job.

His health is more important however. He tried to drive a few days ago, and his brain told him he was still moving even though he knew he had stopped the vehicle at a stop light. That was scary. I didn't let him drive after that.

Maybe he should, I don't know. That's something we need to tell his doctor, and get input. Thank you for yours. All is appreciated.

Archived