living with the change

I have thought about working again but even after 3 years I still have short term memory issues, I lose focus on what I am doing, I can't handle loud noisey situations, and my right hand doesn't always cooperate with what I want it to do. my husband Jim says I am retired my job is to stay alive.

Dear Mutti

I know it can be difficult when you wish to do something but but find it hard to do.

Your husband is right, stay well and focus on things perhaps you were unable to do when you were working.

I know i cannot work and i do get frustrated with that but then i decided to do things that i did not have time for.

I know also what you mean when there is too much noise in, it's like my mind is in over drive and i need to get away.

Do you have any hobbies?

Take care.

Myra xx

Hi Mutti,

I have returned to work but only because we can't afford to pay bills if I don't do something. I have moved to a less stressful job though as I was a primary school teacher before. I have found this very hard to deal with as I spent years trying to afford to train to be a teacher. Again though I am just glad to be alive!

Love and hugs

Laura

xx

HI MYRA,

I LIKE TO SEW BUT I HAVE TO TAP IN TO MY CREATIVE SIDE AND THAT IS MORE DIFFICULT THESE DAYS, I WAIT FOR IT TO HIT ME.

I SHOULD TELL YOU WE BOTH HAVE LOST OUR DRIVE RECENTLY WHEN OUR TRUCK WAS STOLEN FROM INFRONT OF OUR HOME AT 3:00 AM ONE SUNDAY MORN. WE FELT LIKE SOMEONE TOOK THE WIND RIGHT OUT OF OUR SAILS. REMEMBER WE JUST MOVED HERE FROM A SMALL TOWN AND WHAT WE HAVE WITNESSED HERE REALLY SHAKES YOUR INER BEING. :?

Sorry to hear about your ride. I can imagine it very upsetting. :(

I am another who had to go back to work to pay bills. Don´t know if I was ready or not. Just knew my employers couldn´t/wouldn´t wait forever and I was the only earner at home. It takes up most of my energy just to cope and keep up. Wish I could rest more but I do it when I can. Right now I say "no" to most social, fun activities and hobbies because I just don´t have the stamina. We all do what we can and the best we can in our different situations. That is one thing I believe we all have in common.

Take care,

luv Nurianna

Hi Caroline

No, I don't think that is wrong. I went back to work after 3.5 months, which I know now was too soon. Although I suffered physically, It did wonders for me mentally, as I felt that things were finally returning to normal. Don't go back until YOU are ready and be prepared for a step back in your recovery.

Regards

Keith

I totally agree with you Keith .... it's taken me just over 3 years to start to return to work again, but it does knock me for six to a degree, the next day .... but mentally, it's helping to re-build my confidence, it gives you something else to talk about and to focus on .... it's also good to mix with others where the SAH doesn't feature as such.

Hi there

Like you I felt it was important to get back to work and in the first 6 months post op I just wanted to feel normal again and tried to avoid any discussion about my annie

I do agree fully with Keith, Karen, and Sami

I went back to work the end of Feb 07 my Annie was Jan 07 far too early I know and yes its puts you back and you get exhausted very easily, but I'm glad I went back and very proud of myself for doing so

The stamina does'nt fully return and the exhaustion hits even now but not nearly as much as it used to.

If you are waiting til you feel normal then that could be a very long time but soon enough you will feel that this is as normal as it gets and you will move on.

Good luck and once you get over the initial fear you'll be glad you did it :D

Yasmin

xxxxxx