Neck/Shoulder/Rib Pain

Hello everyone.  My wife had a NASAH about two weeks ago.  She ended up staying in the hospital for eight days for pain management (primarily headache and extreme sensitivity to light and sound) and so has been home about a week.  We were told she could expect some back pain but a few days ago she started having severe neck, shoulder, arm, and rib pain.

The rib pain seems to be the worst and causes her to take shallow breaths.  We almost ended up back in the ER but movement is so painful that she didn't want the car ride.  Percocet worked a couple times but often doesn't anymore.

Unfortunately follow-up care has been non-existent as no one has even called to check in on her recovery.  I tried to get a message to the neurologist asking 1 - Is this pain normal/expected and 2 - What else can we try to help the pain.  I received a message back from a nurse saying to take more Tylenol, didn't answer question #1.

So that's what has brought me to this site - has anyone else experienced this type of pain?  Anything that helps?  It has been so severe the past few nights she's literally screaming in pain.

Thank you all.  I'm so glad I found this site.

Hi Matt and welcome

I've not personally experienced this type of pain, but under the circumstances I would get her to A&E - we can't give medical or medicinal advice as none of us are medically trained.  

Hi Matt, my sympathies to both you and your wife, sounds like you are having a horrendous time.

Bleeds are horrible, the brain is the communication centre for our entire bodies, all messages sent arrive there are processed and messages are sent back. The bleed can affect the neurones and it’s my understanding this really messes up the messages. I get eye pain because those are nerves that were irritated for me.

I was on amitrypoline which helped a bit, but my neurologist has taken me off that and I’m now back to horrendously bad headaches and pain in my eye. My neurologist isn’t the most sympathetic of people and I have been told to try and manage with codiene and paracetamol. 

Keep on at them, eventually they will listen and if needs be go to the emergency room, no one should have to suffer to that extent. I wish you well and hope things get better soon. 

Nikki

Hi everyone,

I wanted to follow up on my original post.  The same day that I made the post, we had to call the ambulance because the pain was so bad and I was not at home at the time.  At the ER they determined that the chest/rib pain was actually multiple blood clots (Pulmonary Embolism) in her lungs. 

She then spent several more days in the hospital but is now home again, hopefully for the last time.  She said the pain was so extreme from the PEs that it dwarfed the pain from the NASAH.  Fortunately, it has decreased quite a lot in the last few days.  

-Matt

Hi Matt,

So sorry to hear that your wife has had to be hospitalised, sorry that her pain turned out to be blood clots in her lungs, this must have been a very stressful time for you both.

I hope she continues to go from strength to strength as she goes along the recovery road.

Make sure you look after yourself too, it's been a difficult and stressful time for you both.

Wishing you both well

Love 

Michelle xx 

I m sorry to hear. The blood clots might need blood thinners and they have side effects, so please discuss with your docs. I m not allowed to give med advice here. Drink also lots of water/ fluids since its good to be hydrated.

Try to limit the pain meds. And don’t be afraid to ask for help from family/ friends. Good luck to you. 

Still move around some since immobility is not good for clots.

Best wishes for you wife.  My older daughter had a PE and had to be on blood thinners for several months to allow it to dissolve.  I know how stressful they can be.  Prayers sent.

Chris

Many thanks to everyone here.  It has been very stressful and the additional 5 days in the hospital felt like a real sucker punch.  But I am happy to say that the past couple of days we have seen some real progress.  As many of you I suspect have probably experienced, recovery is very much day to day and up and down so there are definitely good moments and bad.

Again, thank you all for your kind words.  We have wonderful neighbors, friends, and family close by who have all helped beyond what I would have ever expected.

Archived