Would like to gain weight!

HI CAROLINE

I LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT AT FIRST I WAS SKIN AND BONES. AFTER I GOT OFF SOME OF THE MEDS I STARTED TO PUT IT ON AND ON AND ON :o I FINALLY JUST GOT IT OFF OFF OFF...

SO GIVE IT A LITTLE MORE TIME TO SEE HOW YOUR BODY WILL ADJUST.

LUV XXX EVELYN :mrgreen:

Guest ElaineW

So sorry can't give any tips either but would like some for my mum Maggie, she too has lost about 2 stone and is a bag of bones. Oddly she has gone off chocolate and all the things that put on weight.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

I pretty much lost my sweet tooth after the SAH (my teeth were also v.sensitive just after) ..... I find everything too sweet now. I can still enjoy the odd chocolate, but prefer plain choc now. I always used to enjoy my puds too, but can kind of take them or leave them......the same goes for cake and biscuits.

However, I do enjoy my savouries and I think that's where I put the weight on, plus I'm a lot more sedentary than I was.

I lost about a stone in weight just after the SAH, but have put on that stone + a lot more. I perhaps need to cut down on the carbs, as I love jacket potatoes and also cook a lot of pasta ..... on the whole, I eat quite healthily and love my veg, but have a lot more time to cook now, so I think that I need to cut down on the portion sizes.

Hope that your Mum is okay and can well imagine that being sick all of the time, is enough for anybody to lose their appetite.

Hi Caroline

Afraid I have put on over a stone since SAH so no personal experiences but I work and volunteer at a Hospice and know some of the advice given there to maintain or put weight on patients.

Fruit smoothies are high in calories, either shop bought ones or make your own.If you make your own add skimmed milk powder and/or ice cream to the blender too to up the calories.Banana ones are good.

Milky drinks, make coffee etc using full fat milk and also add milk powder (Marvel type stuff) as well.You can add Marvel to all your full fat milk before using it to get invisible calories that you wont notice you are consuming.

Avocados are easily digested and calorie rich and can be used as a spread on sandwiches along with anything else you may like to add as well as being eaten in salads etc.

If medication and doctors allow it, a few glasses of wine also helps.

Try adding lentils, pearl barley etc to soups.

To hell with the cholesterol if the weight loss is an real issue add cream and cheese to mashed potatoes.

Flapjacks with your milky drinks are a real calorie boost.

Pity I know how to put on weight when all I need to do is lose a few stone!!

Hope this helps you, please ask if you need further ideas as there are lots more tips.

Ann x