I'm 15 months post NASAH and had an MRI done for vertigo that lasted 2 weeks and is gone now.  My doctor called me and said it was totally and completely normal so I was relieved.  Since I can access the report I read it online and everything looked normal for me except it says this....  " within the periventricular and subcortical white matter there are bilateral foci that are abnormal T2 signal intensity.  In a patient of this age that is most consistent with small vessel ischemic changes."  

How can it be normal if it says this?  I've had so many tests and everything has been negative.  Anyone have a clue?  I know most aren't doctors and we cannot offer medical advice but does anyone have this and has it been explained to them?  I obviously am calling my doctor on Monday for further explanation but anyone who can relate please share.  Thanks

I'll let you know what he says.  A woman on another site says it's normal for my age (43).  She has it, her husband has it, etc, etc.  I tend to overthink things so my mind went straight to bad stuff that's why I was asking if anyone could identify.  Thanks!!

I know how you feel as when I had a small bleed after my main SAH, It said "Chronic bleed but nothing to worry about"  I went to myself "Chronic chronic  whoo that is bad omg" etc etc … Worried myself sick lol

Decided to look it up.  Acute bleed is worse than a Chronic one.  

So that pleased me a little not much but a little xxxx 

Good luck at Docs and if worried always see a professional xxxxx  Wish I'd practice what I preach lol xxx

Good idea to call him Kris - remember on BTG we can only give experienced thoughts and opinions, we cannot give medical advice and nothing stated here should be taken as given as we are all different - even your neurologist would not give the same advice and opinion to two different people.

I hope it is indeed normal. 

I recently found a DVD with my MRI results on it.  I forgot that they gave it to me (memory of course).  So I thought, cool, let me see what my bleed looked like.  But I am untrained, so the images were completely useless to me.  I tried to google and it basically just said anything non-symmetrical could be a problem.  So I gave up and put it back in a drawer.

Kris

Has any of your team spoken to you about hydrocephalus? 

Your draining of the cranial spinal fluid (CFS) could be more noticeable for you. 

Some of us suffer badly from it, as it gives the same feeling as vertigo. To explain more, it's like the tide going out all of a sudden and makes you feel awful.

Just an observation by the way.

On 22/09/2018 at 11:03, Delta157 said:

Kris

Has any of your team spoken to you about hydrocephalus? 

Your draining of the cranial spinal fluid (CFS) could be more noticeable for you. 

Some of us suffer badly from it, as it gives the same feeling as vertigo. To explain more, it's like the tide going out all of a sudden and makes you feel awful.

Just an observation by the way.

I wanted to note that whilst Hydrocephalus is one potential side effect of a bleed it would be picked up on a MRI with changes in ventricle size.

Hydrocephalus is incredibly serious though and as life threatening as a bleed so for the avoidance of doubt though NHS guidance and definition  is :

“Hydrocephalus is a build-up of fluid on the brain. The excess fluid puts pressure on the brain, which can damage it.

If left untreated, hydrocephalus can be fatal.”

People diagnosed with permanent hydrocephalus require a VP Shunt to be placed as their ventricles are not working properly and any changes have to be investigated in case of Shunt malfunction  . Living with a shunt  can bring dizziness and vertigo episodes as Delta, I and others can attest to but it is a thankfully rare complication. 

Some people can have temporary blockage of ventricles post their bleed due to amount of blood but an EXtra ventricular drain (EVD) is placed and often is enough to relieve symptoms and their ventricle drainage recovers and no Shunt is needed. 

Blood anywhere across the brain surface can have lasting effects ; vertigo, tinnitus, eyesight issues are all reported by members. 

Daffs & Kris

Don't forget the weather plays havoc with our heads if we have a shunt in. lol xx

Also I cannot rush up anymore as I go giddy and if I turn over in bed I get giddy but I did have it for over a year before anyone decided to put shunt in.  

All Be Well and try not to stress All of us xxxx Hard going but we will get there xxxxx 

Archived